• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Ships for the Navy

M

MAJOR_Baker

Seems the CDN government is going to spend money on some ships......

Would that be the planned replacement supply ships, sir? Apparently Martin also hinted at not allowing the GTS Katie situation to occur again, so maybe some transport ships/aircraft as well?

...or maybe one of the West Edmonton Mall subs sprung a leak and people were complaining :D

As far as I can tell, the Canadian government is going to spend money on PR, and promises, then try to win an election. At which point, they will shelve anything new, and gradually bring in some of the great new equipment in dribs and drabs while the rest of the forces crumble around them.

You can always tell when a politician is lying to you....it‘s when his mouth moves.

In the 11 years it is going to take for these ships to be ready, I can see 2 if not 3 changes in government. Well I wish the navy luck.

The site below is speculation as to what the ship will look like, and some and some tech stuff.
Now I can tell you it‘s not going to be for a long while, they‘re got the AOR Supply ship in drydock here in Halifax, doing a refit, so if they were going to be replacing them soon hopefully they wouldn‘t bother doing that right now.
Supply Ship

Well 2011 is still a long time away and the Preserver has done a lot of sailing so she needs this refit if we want to have an AOR on this coast until they are replaced by JSS.

I have also seen this design for the JSS:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/123000-123999/123215_73_full.gif

The JSS project will go through, and it will be a valuble addition to the CF. Once these ships are operational, we will be able to send each one abroad with two companies of soldiers, LAVs, MGS, Gwagons etc, ready to go ashore. They will also operate as floating command centres on operations.

Ex-dragoon; i was having a look over the future supply ships (although I think they‘ve been referred to as more "Floating Logistic centers") and I noticed they‘ve got the azipod screws, they‘re on the CDV‘s the reservists use, but I‘ve never seen them on a larger ship. Neat little things.

I‘m not that familiar with the techs on larger ships, but do you think that‘ll make a big impact? negative positive etc.

If you don‘t understand my rationalle, I will understand:

Do these new vessles seem like a giant diamond ring on a homless mans hand?

Depends on whether the homeless man is the entire CF, or just the navy...

Either way picture as more of a pair of new underpants for the homeless guy (if he wears them) a good start, but he‘ll still need new pants and a shirt..maybe a haircut and shower too, (decide what the other clothes are for yourself)

RNW you forgot the primary role of the JSS totally and that is resupply of the navy. Carrying army equipment while an important mission is pure secondary.

Che I think it would be a good thing as it will make the JSS more maneuverable then other ships of its size.

Ashore right now but I have sailed on HMCSs Terra Nova, Fredericton and Charlottetown in my career.

Of course resupply is the primary role, I‘m simply bringing attention to the new, important advantage that JSS will bring the CF, and, in particular, the Army.

:eek: but the army thinks so highly of the fishf...um...navy! :D

Hey, unless the enemy comes right to our doorstep, those ships could prove quite useful for ferrying all our heavier equipment to wherever the ‘big one‘ is being fought.

Back