• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New sea service cap for sailors

OceanBonfire

Reaction score
iG6PaQv.png

Does the headband expand as one gets promoted? 😊😉
Nah, it actually shrinks to restrict "good ideas".

Pretty funny to see people complain about the old caps staying circular though; they are much more comfortable if you actually take out the packing ring that is in the top strictly to prevent damage during shipping (as per the enclosed instruction).

These ones are the same as what the RN has (and I've heard from someone who got one was actually made in the UK). They look fine, just a bit wider and flatter.

Really glad to see they remain focused on solving the pressing issues. Our sailors will look tiddly when they are on extended duty watches for ships tied up due to being mechanically foxed, and not enough crews to actually do things.

The top of the hat has an antenna in it to transmit the signal from RFID chips that detect wrong thoughts by the Other Ranks

So how long before the edict banning 40 mission styling comes out? 🙃

If I am reading an earlier comment correctly, POs are incapable of following the instructions for wearing a hat.

This strikes me as a significant issue.

From the little that I know of the Navy, this cap is one of the iconic images centred on our image of a Navy, besides the Blue uniform with gold buttons. Kudos to the Senior RCN Leadership for making a change to a uniform, which the Navy actually wears on a regular basis, to making it more comfortable to wear. The cost of a new hat is rather insignificant and it contributes to reinforcing the overall public image, if worn properly, of the RCN and hopefully it will inspire people to look at joining the Navy.

When I was serving I always grumbled about the issued green beret. When I had the opportunity I bought a more better looking Belgique Beret. I thought it looked smarter. First impressions - Image is everything while in the public eye and it better be a positive one.

When wearing it, do you have to tilt your head slightly so the cap badge is straight?

#Pedantic

I thought all sailors went for jaunty look.
I've never really worn the old green forage cap. I briefly worn it I was Guardsman in the GGFG, my CFOCS grad and when I was pall bearer in a mil funeral. It didn't really bother me to wear it but I hated being the inconvenience of it - can't roll it up in my pocket. I was happy when the Army decided to strike off the clo list. My kids used to wear as part of their Halloween costume or played dress up with it - bus driver.

Cheers

Not sure which is worse the jaunty cap angle or the tendency in the Army these days to wear the beret with the badge between the left eye and ear. Only certain people with panache can get away wearing the cap like that.

How I miss the old school Adjts who would "school" young Officers, along with the RSM for the NCMs, on all matters concerning dress and deportment.

I’ve tried for years for my cap to have that Gunter Prien look!

Attachments

• 0ECABF1D-E43C-4AD0-A758-2DCEA4909D00.jpeg
    0ECABF1D-E43C-4AD0-A758-2DCEA4909D00.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 20
So I saw this post about the new sea service cap launched by the RCN, and to be honest, it doesn't seem like there's anything particularly new about it. But hey, that's just my opinion!

Oh, and just a quick note, I'm new on this forum, so it's great to connect with fellow members. Keep sharing the latest updates, and happy sailing, everyone!
Oh young fella (I'm saying about your newness to the forum not your actual age and experience) you have no idea the ground nesting swarm of wasps you have just stepped into so fair warning.
On the matter of the new cap. It is a far far better bit of kit compared to head crushing plastic piece of crap we used to have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back