• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Rucksack

... Also spare buckles in the pouches of the TV

Well, 34 Brigade is getting the new ruck now - I just picked up mine this morning, and I won't waste everyone's time rehashing what's been said - just that I actually want my 82 pattern back. This may change after the next exercise/BFT.

At least the compression sack looks good...

Try compressing the compression sac to size they say it can go to.

I'll give you two trys but you will only need one.

To any of the people who've had the new rucks for a while now; have your opinions changed of it since you've last posted about it? I'm thinking of buying myself a 64 pattern ruck (CoC approved, of course) but if the new ruck is workable, especially for Winter Ops, I may just put off getting one for a while until I got some time in with the new ruck.

As a note; not issued the new ruck yet, rumours put it at being about a year off for us; of course, that's just a rumour. Being one of two guys in my Sect with an '82 is a little embarrasing.

There are positive and negative elements to the new ruck;

- If you are not wearing the ruck with armour and plates it is fairly comfortable. If you are wearing it with armour it sucks big time!

- The method of attaching pouches is all but useless, as nothing heavy can be place in the pouches without them loosening off the ruck

- Packing up the ruck can be a bit of an ordeal. The compression sack can be a pain when fully loaded, the number of compression sacks on the bag can be cumbersome and the cavernous main bag can be difficult to locate small items, particularly at night and in a rush.

- personal preference but I feel that the ruck is to tall (keep in mind that I am not the tallest guy around).

Hope this helps

AHH the new ruck  justafter i took my old 64 pattern with after market bag in to be sold privately ,as im now in the navy and will never have to wear one again ..... boom there i am drawing cadpat field kit to go to Afghanistan . well after wearing it for a while  I'll say No sir i dont like it .. as said previosly ITS BIG you can put alot of stuff in it but then you have to carry it . I'd rather have my ol ruck back  it sits on my body alot better the the wonder ruck. And before any one jumps on me about adjustments  well after 4 months of adjustments  it still doesnt sit right.. the straps just cannot be adjusted they way i need them for a good fit  , either with TV and armour or without

It helps a lot, thanks. I know that plates cause a lot of discomfort, but how does it feel in a flak vest without plates and a TV?

In my opinion the ruck was designed to be worn without Tac Vest and Flak Jacket; when you are sized for it you are wearing just a t-shirt.  When I wear my ruck over the Tac Vest I can't wear the waist belt properly.  I am not a fan of the new ruck and prefer to use a 64 pattern one.

Snaketnk said:
To any of the people who've had the new rucks for a while now; have your opinions changed of it since you've last posted about it? I'm thinking of buying myself a 64 pattern ruck (CoC approved, of course) but if the new ruck is workable, especially for Winter Ops, I may just put off getting one for a while until I got some time in with the new ruck.

As a note; not issued the new ruck yet, rumours put it at being about a year off for us; of course, that's just a rumour. Being one of two guys in my Sect with an '82 is a little embarrasing.

Well I find it good for mounted opps, but the old sleeping bag carrier and a kit bag would do the same job IMO.

NFLD Sapper said:
Try compressing the compression sac to size they say it can go to.

I'll give you two trys but you will only need one.

When I was teaching the lessons on assembly, I gave a demo to every platoon that went through me of the compression sack fitting two issued sleeping bags, and a cadpat liner.  I had no problem with this, and neither did those in the classes that remembered to bring their kit.  Are you kneeling on the sack or working the straps to compress your load?  I found that if guys just loaded it up, tightened the drawstring, and then dropped their 200 pounds onto the staps, the sack would not compress fully, suffer a failure(rip a strap off), or go into a freaky shape.  When the drawstring is closed, plop your knee onto the sack, and once the air has left, cinch down the compression straps, using them more as "retention" straps for the compression you have already imparted on the sack.  I admit that the classes were done in temperature controlled classrooms, but since leaving the fielding team, I have continued to use the compression sack on ex, and have had no problem in having it completed filled, compressed, and stowed in a decent time.

Don't let the fielding team leave until your concerns are addressed.  I was able to solve 90 percent of the major complaints that guys would lay out during the class with a few minutes of 1 on 1.  Some guys have different back, and a common cause of discomfort it to have the first bend being either to sharp of an angle, or to low on the aluminium stay.  To sharp will produce a pulling feeling on your back, and to low will put every ounce of the pack onto the soft meaty part of your shoulder behind the bone.  Nine times out of ten, fixing the first bend would fix the problem.

I am going to try to get mine this week or next.  Should I try to go in with a frag vest?  I plan on wearing it anytime I go anywhere with a ruck...seems to make sense to have it fit my back with that, no?

No, don't go in with a frag vest.  They are designed to be fitted with a t-shirt.

A lot of people have mixed opinions abou the new ruck, but I will say this.

The ruck is great.  It works well with the tacvest and the frag vest.  However, it requires a lot more adjustment than the old one.  You will have to spend at least 3-4 13km rucks to get it adjusted properly. 

I can vouch for the new ruck, as I did the Ironman with it.  It fitted fine and I can honestly say that it is better than the '64 pattern. 

This being said, a couple of pointers for the new ruck:

-Make sure the weight is evenly proportioned.  You must pay extra attention to how you load it, otherwise it will be uncomfortable.

-If you are going on extended marches, it is advisable to move the compression sack complete into the upper compartment.  On this ruck, it is even MORE important to have the heavy stuff at the top of the ruck.

-Adjust, adjust and adjust.  This ruck is like going from a '87 Mazda B2000 to an Audi.  It is a lot more finicky, but will produce the optimum results.

-You MUST take the pressure off the tension bars each and every time you remove the ruck and then retighten them whe you put them back on.

-Play with the arch supports.  I found the models that they use to give you a baseline on how to shape your arch supports are a little to extravagent.  Try making the arches less extreme.

-Adjust the waist belt up or down using the velcro until it fits right on your hips.  You will also need to wear your tacvest correctly, for all the ganstas:) that like to wear it low.

Hope this helps a little!

As stated by Quag this systems is very different from anything that most people are use to using. I was part of the trials and it took a long time to get into a different mind set.
The entire pack/carriage system and Ballistic vest are all designed to intergrate together. As with everything that CLS designed it is 80% solution and there will always be a few people that will have difficulty.
Some points to remember:
1. Pay attention to the instructional classes and don't go in with attitude "I have been packing a ruck for X# of years I know what I am doing" This is a new piece of kit for 90% of the people including the instructor.
2. Get a copy of the instructional DVD (from the manufacturer) that teaches you how to wear and pack. There may be points that new instructor fails to mention or forget.
3. Ask questions, Lots of questions of the instructor.
4. If your not wearing the Tac vest as it was intended, the rest of system is not going to work properly. I have see some intresting wearing styles lately. This one of main points we brought up in the trial. The entire Loading carriage system should have been issued as one time, ideally.
5. If you are wearing other styles of LBV/TV it is not going work as designed.

It seems to my feeble, long retired military mind, that if you need an operators course, and an instructor qualification for rucksack on your 490A, it's waaaay more rucksack than necessary.

Kat Stevens said:
It seems to my feeble, long retired military mind, that if you need an operators course, and an instructor qualification for rucksack on your 490A, it's waaaay more rucksack than necessary.

Roger that... I also notice that MEC, or any one of hundreds of other outdoor equipment suppliers, has never needed an instructional DVD to help their customer put on theirs rucksacks correctly.

I am glad to hear, , that there are people who are figuring this out! Well done chaps...

Bzzliteyr said:
I am going to try to get mine this week or next.  Should I try to go in with a frag vest?  I plan on wearing it anytime I go anywhere with a ruck...seems to make sense to have it fit my back with that, no?

Don't wast your energy, I did it and was told "its not designed to be worn with it, as why do you need to wear body armor all the time" (or something along those lines: read the exact quote a number of pages back) and it was from the project head  ::)

I just spoke with the supply Sgt in charge of this weekend's rucksack issue and he mentioned that the stuff we spoke about (tac vest fitting, frag vest, etc) had been voiced by the soldiers being fitted.  Good on them.

I can personally confirm that if you do not pack a hiking bag correctly and distribute the weight evenly, you WILL hurt.  I did adventure training while at the Armour School up in Nunavut.  One day half way through the hike I did a slight re-org of it's packing.. not 1 km down the road my lower back and legs were killing me!!  It came down to "can you carry on?" type questions and contingency plans were made up.  The experienced hiker leading the expedition then took the time to confirm if I had changed anything.  Of course, I had.  We took ten minutes, repacked my bag as I had it the day before and I managed to continue and finish the week with no issues.

I can just imagine how many "know it alls" exist out there hurting themselves for no reason.

Kifaru EMR -- cheaper, lighter, better

COTS non developmental.

MasterChief1004.jpg

:2c:

I must concur with the majority of statements, if it needs an instructional video and a bunch of BFT's to get it to fit right then really it isn't much of a ruck is it?.

On a personal front I grabbed a Low Alpine ruck loaded it up set the shoulder straps to my height and set off. Not a single issue and is IMO the most comfortable ruck I have worn. It still boggles my mind that we cannot just buy off the sshelf items and reinvent the wheel every damn time.  ::)

Back