• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New RCAF Command Badge?

How is that going to compete with the army gorgets and red banded forage caps?  More blue DEU bling needed!!!

Eye In The Sky said:
How is that going to compete with the army gorgets and red banded forage caps?  More blue DEU bling needed!!!

Well before we invest in more bling...how about we invest in uniforms that look like uniforms and not business suits with badges...with the exception of the RCN DEU, maybe, that is what we have.

Jon

Old EO Tech said:
Well before we invest in more bling...how about we invest in uniforms that look like uniforms and not business suits with badges...with the exception of the RCN DEU, maybe, that is what we have.

Jon

:rofl:

Old EO Tech said:

Jon

I'll go one better. Let's focus on getting the RCAF the hardware they need to do their jobs first. Then, if there's money left over that can be used for uniforms and accoutrements, let's design a RCAF uniform that is uniquely Canadian, or at least somewhat based on British-pattern RAF uniforms instead of having the current uniform which, save for lapels, is essentially a copy of a late 1940s-early 1950s USAF pattern?

Why do we always need to ape our American cousins, anyway? Do we do it to show them that we are their allies?

Eland2 said:
I'll go one better. Let's focus on getting the RCAF the hardware they need to do their jobs first. Then, if there's money left over that can be used for uniforms and accoutrements, let's design a RCAF uniform that is uniquely Canadian, or at least somewhat based on British-pattern RAF uniforms instead of having the current uniform which, save for lapels, is essentially a copy of a late 1940s-early 1950s USAF pattern?

Why do we always need to ape our American cousins, anyway? Do we do it to show them that we are their allies?

???

Really?  The RCAF uniform has always been very similar to the RAF uniform; as have those of the RAAF amd RNZAF.  It lost all that with Unification, but has once again reverted back to its roots.  There is absolutely NO similarity to the USAF uniform; with the exception of perhaps 'Hollywood' versions in films.

Eland2 said:

I'm not sure where you're going with this.  As GW said, the RCAF DEU doesn't look like the American one at all, and even the 1940s/1950s USAF uniform itself looks really similar to the RAF one without a belt and the ranks being on shoulders instead of the sleeves.  As for our current DEU, with the colour changes and such, the only big differences between us and the RAF are the belt (we don't have one) and the bottom pockets - even the wings have (or are shortly) going back to silver instead of gold. 

I'm also not sure where you get that our military has to copy the American one.  We definitely have some commonality because of NORAD, NATO, etc procedures and standards, but it's not like we've become "US military lite" - we're just as, if not more, similar to the Aussies, Brits, and other Commonwealth nations.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Especially now that the Elliot's eyes have been restored to the Royal Canadian Navy.  ;D

<tangent>

Now you just need Officers' 8-button tunics, JRs' Square Rig and the old rank insignia back.  :stirpot:

Judging from Change of Command pictures, senior officers of both genders wearing high-collar whites is pretty much an "unofficially official" thing now.

</tangent>

Old EO Tech said:

Jon

Screw that.  Bring the bling!  We don't need that operational stuff in the RCAF.  Gimme another badge dammit!  ^-^

CANAIRGEN 19/17:

SUBJ: RCAF DEU COMMAND BADGE

REF: CAF DRESS INSTRUCTIONS, A-DH-265-000/AG-001

1. THE ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE WILL INTRODUCE THE RCAF DEU COMMAND BADGE (NSN 8455-20-010-3760) TO COINCIDE WITH THE UPCOMING CONSECRATION OF THE RCAF COLOURS 1 SEPTEMBER 2017.

2. THIS ACCOUTREMENT WILL BE WORN BY ALL PERS EMPLOYED UNDER THE RCAF COMMAND IAW THE REF EFFECTIVE 1 SEPTEMBER 2017.

3. SIC ITUR AD ASTRA, SUCH IS THE PATHWAY TO THE STARS.

Eye In The Sky said:
Screw that.  Bring the bling!  We don't need that operational stuff in the RCAF.  Gimme another badge dammit!  ^-^

I'm not even talking about operational uniforms....though I could open of a tangent here to talk about the Army(not to mention the RCAF) wearing CADPAT as work dress :-/

I'm all for a little bling....I mean we are the least "blingy" of any of our allies.  But I just want a DEU uniform that I don't have to be embarrassed about when I visit my Brit and US friends :-/

Jon

Dimsum said:
Pic of it on a DEU (not mine)

gzo58clbuxhz.jpg

It was nice of them to create something with a lovely, very gold eagle when everything else was recently changed to silver. Perhaps it's just the photo, but it doesn't appear to blend well...

Ditch said:
CANAIRGEN 19/17:

3. SIC ITUR AD ASTRA, SUCH IS THE PATHWAY TO THE STARS.

Well there you have it - buttons and bows is the pathway to the stars.  >:D

BeyondTheNow said:
It was nice of them to create something with a lovely, very gold eagle when everything else was recently changed to silver. Perhaps it's just the photo, but it doesn't appear to blend well...

The capbadge hasn't changed, so the eagle is still gold.

Dimsum said:
The capbadge hasn't changed, so the eagle is still gold.

Ah yea, good point. Banking on when they'll decide to alter one or the other... >:D

Out of all the stupid shit we do, this has to be at the top. I'm so glad our leadership has nothing more to concern themselves with that they can brainstorm these stupid blue hockey pucks to be worn on our bus driver uniforms. Fix PLD? Nah that's too hard. Sort out the boot issue? Screw that, I'm going to the golf course. Introduce a new command badge? Yes we must address this at once!.  ::)

BeyondTheNow said:

The birds on the RAF, RAAF and RNZAF badges are all gold so the RCAF having a gold eagle maintains tradition. Our silver (pearl grey?) ranks and wing colours are similar as well. The silver buttons and new command badge are a rough combo (don't know why didn't stick with fake brass buttons).

Here's hoping they leave the RCAF badge and hat badges alone. That said, ON TO THE FORAGE CAPS!!!  ;D

bigzoomie said:
The birds on the RAF, RAAF and RNZAF badges are all gold so the RCAF having a gold eagle maintains tradition. Our silver (pearl grey?) ranks and wing colours are similar as well. The silver buttons and new command badge are a rough combo (don't know why didn't stick with fake brass buttons).

Here's hoping they leave the RCAF badge and hat badges alone. That said, ON TO THE FORAGE CAPS for Officers!!!  ;D

FTFY  ;)

Somewhat related - a friend of mine is supposed to be on the big RCAF Colour Party thing in Toronto in Sept and some of the CAF social media pics have them practicing.  The officers are wearing the old school blue and gold sword belts (not the plastic white ones). 

If we're going full steam ahead (behind?) on this whole tradition thing, I wouldn't be surprised if forage caps are next...although as someone who wore them the last trade, they aren't comfortable.

bigzoomie said:
The birds on the RAF, RAAF and RNZAF badges are all gold so the RCAF having a gold eagle maintains tradition.
But, Canadian tradition should not be decided by what other Commonwealth nations are doing if Canada never had any such similarity in its own history.  Did the RCAF previously have a device with a gold eagle?  Maybe that is argument to call it "tradition."  Maybe it is not tradition?  Maybe it is just another expenditure of effort in the ongoing tribal rebranding by the CF Sneetches.

Dimsum said:
Eland2 said:

I'm also not sure where you get that our military has to copy the American one.
Through the many iterations of the CF fashion transformation, there has been a false dichotomy, argued by proponents of the changes, where anything that did not "ape the British" was accused to "ape the US."  If you did not support restoration of long retired British symbols, then clearly you wanted to burry the Canadian military identity under that of the US. The argument is, of course, false.  However, there may have been a reader or two who read the discussions and did not realize where a hyperbole or straw-man was being tossed out to support the false dichotomy.  I do recall a handful of individuals declaring all CF uniforms to be copied American patterns.

I assume Eland was fooled by the myth.  Both he and you espouse my position: if we must tinker with buttons, badges, and other fashion, then I would prefer we look to neither the US nor UK as a template.  All our inspiration should come from within our own borders.

Back