• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New PT Test Requirements...Whining

Status
Not open for further replies.
ccownsu said:
But the army WILL be training everyone, and if they can't cut it after 90 days they are out...........so whats the problem? Money? I am sure the Harper government is providing the extra budgeting. (they just cut a bunch of worthless social programs, so they have the money =])
that money could be far better served elsewhere. Why waste it on training people up to a Standard they should have already achieved, when it could be spent on training up other people to a higher standard elsewhere? Why spend it feeding people who didn't reach a pathetically low minimum standard, when it could be used to feed people on an Exercise? Or to buy bullets for more Reflexive Shooting serials? Or to run more courses? Or to buy fuel for trucks?

Brixxie said:
where did being a woman come into play here? seriously

In the 'Failed Push-ups" thread.....you were the one who threw in the "girl card"

well this is a diffrent thread. >.>
and yeah I failed push ups so ? i wont next time I didn't "fail" to do 9 push ups I "failed to stay in form"  know what that means 5 sets of planks a day ..no big deal also my application wont go through so fast . That's okay BMQ after Christmas would be a good thing. Nice derail through. I'm sure flame wars are common in basic right?

I think you will find that the CF is a fairly small community.  As a result, when you shoot your mouth off inappropriately in one instance, it will likely carry over to other times, places and people.

Let's review briefly:  You failed pushups.  You then commented that the pushup standard was inappropriate for today's army.  People explained why it was appropriate.  You now get defensive because people are pushing back at your voiced opinion. 

I suggest you take a few minutes, review your posts and realize that you might want to re-think your approach here.  Because funnily enough, you started beaking at me about typing INT reports as soon as I stated the standard (which you failed) was too low. 

To be perfectly frank, flame wars are not common in basic.  You are taught teamwork and that you are but one of a section.

I don't think they are to low. 
It can be taught. If you are so worried about the shape of the recruits offer to be a instutor through the local base in your off time.Volunteer to help get us up to standard. Some times all it takes is a little encouragement and a shove in the right direction. I am sure some people just starting off would really appreciate the hand.

Some of us are athletes some of us are not.
Honestly how many people knew how to shine their boots the first day? clean a weapon knew command chains? was it not all taught?

That's awesome, brixxie.  You disagree.  So what?

If the standard can be taught, presumably it can be learned at YOUR expense and not at the expense of the CF.

With respect to volunteering to teach PT:  we have TRAINED expert staff that get paid to do this.  You are already familiar with PSP staff.    Besides, I volunteer with enough organizations (community atheletic groups and health charities) that need my legal expertise, not my lessons in pushups.

You can be taught dress and deportment, weapons skills, field craft etc on course.  You should already be capable of attaining a minimum standard of pushups. 

I go back to my point that you don't have a right to join.  You have to earn the privilege.  Consider pushups a pretty cheap entrance ticket.   

Brixxie said:
  If you are so worried about the shape of the recruits offer to be a instutor through the local base in your off time.Volunteer to help get us up to standard.
why should anyone else have to go out of THEIR way to prepare YOU, when it's pathetically easy to achieve the minimum standard? It's not up to anyone else to get YOU through Basic. The onus is entirely on YOU. Shoudl we also, then carry your rucksack? Shine your boots? Write your exams? Take your shift on radio watch? Do your work? Arrange babysitters for your kids? Cook supper for your family? Do your grocery shopping?

Some times all it takes is a little encouragement and a shove in the right direction. I am sure some people just starting off would really appreciate the hand.
that's what you get here. A shove in the right direction. Someone saying" suck it up, and do more PT".

the minimum standards to pass Basic do not require an athlete.

Honestly how many people knew how to shine their boots the first day? clean a weapon knew command chains? was it not all taught?
those are skills. Learned skills. Finding the guts to do a ridiculously low amount of PT is not. THAT has to come from the individual.

You could give out free passes to the army and people would still complain that it's too hard. It's been said before, soldier first and trade second. Soldiers can do push-ups. The army tells YOU what to do, not the other way around - play the game or not at all.

Brixxie said:
I never EVER said that it should not be something that you work towards. But you are syphoning the talent pool drastically by turning them away at the door.

Every base has a state of the art gym, psp staff. Instructors and a whole bunch of other people to motivate. Get them in the door. And if they cant do it send them home. Its pretty much that simple.

Give them the gun after!

::)

You haven't even gotten issued a pair of combat boots yet.  Sit back, listen and learn from those that know.

Brixxie said:
okay well you do push ups and I will make sure all the Int reports are typed out and filed on time.  I will also take extra time to make sure all files are in order for briefings and  shipping receiving invoices are ready on time. As well I will make sure that the inventory is in order when you are missing parts of your kits OR need a new badge for your beret.

what does this have to do with a push up?

Umm what I said before...but again, louder and with that look on my face...

:brickwall:

Brixxie said:
I don't think they are to low. 
It can be taught. If you are so worried about the shape of the recruits offer to be a instutor through the local base in your off time.Volunteer to help get us up to standard. Some times all it takes is a little encouragement and a shove in the right direction. I am sure some people just starting off would really appreciate the hand.

You don't think its too low due to the fact you cannot meet the minimum requirement.Take a step back here and look at what your arguing.You arguing the point that you cannot meet a very low standard,and feel it should be lowered.Suck it up as you have said in your other posts and carry on.You are a failure.As you have failed.Use this to better yourself and stop with the complaining.Your post add up over 30 minutes of typing.You could have been praticing to get into the army.Lets face it; complaining here is not going to solve the fact you cannot meet the requirement,hard work dedication and sweat is how you will achieve it.

As for the whole woman thing BS!My wife was in for 7 yrs(released due to us not being able to be posted together FYI) she smoked and didn't exercise period.Yet every year she passed her express test no problem.Shes was  5'4" 120 lbs so don't even think shes strong or hard working at PT.She done the same standard for those 7 years and was except the last two IIRC.This is at a work place which doesn't have a base gym,which doesn't do morning pt(or any pt actually).

As for the athlete part I laugh.No one in the army expects you to be an athlete.If standards were that high there wouldn't be too many people around.What the army does expect is a SAFE physical standard for you to meet so as an instructor I'm not giving you CPR on a 5km webbing march.Its for your safety.

You talk about others doing push ups while you conduct int reports.That's what I like to call an individual.This is a team setting and if he's doing them so are you.If you want to join as a int op what happens when your suddenly ripped from your desk job and sent gathering human intelligence?Posted to an army unit?Then what are you going to do with your lack of physical ability?

As for volunteering as an instructor during our time off.My job description dont say anything about it.We are busy enough with the recruits who meet the standards on this end.And we work for a living .As for being taught you were given a pamphlet by PSP that displays the proper form and what you need to meet it.So you were taught.And as for motivation isn't serving your country,steady pay,overseas missions enough of a motivation factor to wiggle off 4 pushups or what ever it is now?

Now if you really need help pm me swing by CFB gagetown and I will do push ups with you at the base Gym.Every night if you want (im there anyway).Be proactive seek help from someone in your area and get better.As for the "dad's army" thing,my mother is in her late 50's and I know she could meet these requirements.Any basic human could in my opinion.As for my dad as per with para's.that man lugs quarters every fall,dont own a quad.Where he drops it he panches and carrys home.
George: I agree that is something we can agree upon.well put para.

Brixxie said:
I didn't "fail" to do 9 push ups I "failed to stay in form"

Sounds like the same to me.  You FAILED, stop making excuses.

Brixxie said:
well this is a diffrent thread. >.>
and yeah I failed push ups so ? i wont next time I didn't "fail" to do 9 push ups I "failed to stay in form"  know what that means 5 sets of planks a day ..no big deal also my application wont go through so fast . That's okay BMQ after Christmas would be a good thing. Nice derail through. I'm sure flame wars are common in basic right?

Suddenly, your posts make sense.

Stay in your lane.  I am betting that there are more than a few people on hear that are watching this that grow tired of your "but I know better even though I have never been in the CF yet" approach.

STFU.  Open eyes.  Engage brain.

Oh and by the way, STFU.  Open eyes.  Engage brain.

Would a 3rd time make it clearer?

::)

You are wrong.  Thats ok, you have no TI / experience.  Its expected. 

I myself don't go to the cockpit when I am flying somewhere and start beaking off at the pilots that they are all 31 flavours of f$$ked up.

Yes, that is what you are doing here to people who have, some of them, been in probably as long or longer than have graced the earth with your presense.

Back down, admit you are out of you lane, and people will cool off and EXPLAIN to you why this is important, but YOU have to STFU in order to hear that.

Brixxie:
Well , now that Ive done the interview/test. Next step is the PT, which has me really worried not because I cant do it BUT because they pushed it so fast. I started the application with the mind set (and word of the recruiter )I would have 2+ months to prepare. I can do the minimum the very minimum. I see joining the forces as something you do when you are at the your personal best. I don't see my self at my personal best yet, However the application process has been so fast that they booked the medical/PT RIGHT AWAY.  Should being able to do the minimum really be enough to qualify?

Brixxie

Funny thing...in 23 days you have reversed your position.  On september 3rd you beleived the passage quoted above, but now that you FAILED you have done a 180..........

cdnaviator said:
Brixxie:
Funny thing...in 23 days you have reversed your position.  On september 3rd you beleived the passage quoted above, but now that you FAILED you have done a 180..........

Now its all making sense... ::)

This thread has lost its integrity. I am the mother of two soldiers children. I have given my self to the CF in more ways then as a soldier. I have stood by my troops since the day we were called into action and before that time.  To many nights I have been with out my husband my friend my company and my life partner all so i could give him to his country. Don't tell me I haven't done anything yet.

This is not about me. this thread is about shaping the army of the future.

You keep making this about a single event. The point is not me the point is taking someone and placing them in a platoon where there will do nothing but fitness train. Can you really ask for more? they will have 4 weeks to beat and exceed the minimum .

Turning away talent so you can have the infantry full of Rambo's is silly!
on another note- many MANY people retest the PT ...infact as I was handing in some med info  4 of the 6 people waiting to PT test were retries. Know where they failed? STEP TEST.
and these were young men.

As for failure in the forces in general. ITS HOW you learn. I know avid hunters who failed their gun safety test. Does this make them any less of a soldier? Not really they just have to go back and retest.

I also see the pecking order and find it really amusing.

Brixxie said:
This thread has lost its integrity. I am the mother of two soldiers children. I have given my self to the CF in more ways then as a soldier. I have stood by my troops since the day we were called into action and before that time.  To many nights I have been with out my husband my friend my company and my life partner all so i could give him to his country. Don't tell me I haven't done anything yet.

:crybaby:

This is not about me. this thread is about shaping the army of the future.

you've made it about yourself.
on another note- many MANY people retest the PT ...infact as I was handing in some med info  4 of the 6 people waiting to PT test were retries. Know where they failed? STEP TEST.
and these were young men.

I fail to see what that has to do with anything. They FAILED just like you did.

As for failure in the forces in general. ITS HOW you learn. I know avid hunters who failed their gun safety test. Does this make them any less of a soldier? Not really they just have to go back and retest.

Yes you learn from mistakes.  Unfortunately, for alot of us, you pay for your mistakes in blood.

I also see the pecking order and find it really amusing.

Go hang out at www.militaryphotos.net if you dont like it here.  Now stop typing before you do a 180 again......

Brixxie said:
on another note- many MANY people retest the PT ...infact as I was handing in some med info  4 of the 6 people waiting to PT test were retries. Know where they failed? STEP TEST. and these were young men.
Boy oh boy......
1)   The fact that someone has to do the step test instead of the shuttle run would be that he has a problem with the knees or one with the ole ticker.....
2)   Durint the step test, the PSP type will take your blood pressure on an ongoing basis.... if you go over 141... they stop the test (note that on the shuttle run your BP can go to the moon and back as long as you're still standing)
AND (here's the kicker)
3)   At the conclusion of the step test, they manualy calculate your VO2 capacity.  If you are over the weight the CF Med types say you should be at for your height, then you fail... even if you are all "torked up" with no fat ....

You're going to have to do better than that Brixxie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back