• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New PT Test Requirements...Whining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brixxie

Inactive
Reaction score
back on track

so every who is joining the forces is going infantry right?
No , the faces of the forces is changing. We need alot of other skills besides fitness.
Fitness can be taught and if  your willing to learn it wont be a problem.
Why not recruit people who have natural talents in other areas that the forces are lacking.

by the logic of this thread

17 year old pvt Infantry great shape, 40 pushups under a min should be handling pay roll?

Brixxie,

first, there is no front lines anymore. Everybody can expect to come under fire once they hit theatre. EVERYBODY. So EVERYBODY has to be fit to fight.

Second, the fitter you are, the less time off you take for illness, stress, or injury rehabilitation; therefore, the less expense you incur for medical shit, and the more productive you are.

I could go on, but those two alone should illustrate the need for everybody in the CF to maintain a decent level of physical fitness. The minimum standards are not a 'decent' level. They are pathetically low.

+1 para.

From Scout (who hates pushups more than anything in this world -- but can do a ton more than she needs to)

I never EVER said that it should not be something that you work towards. But you are syphoning the talent pool drastically by turning them away at the door.

Every base has a state of the art gym, psp staff. Instructors and a whole bunch of other people to motivate. Get them in the door. And if they cant do it send them home. Its pretty much that simple.

Give them the gun after!

I am sorry Brixxie but as a female, having to do 9 or 7 pushups as a minimum entrance standard is unacceptably low. 

okay well you do push ups and I will make sure all the Int reports are typed out and filed on time.  I will also take extra time to make sure all files are in order for briefings and  shipping receiving invoices are ready on time. As well I will make sure that the inventory is in order when you are missing parts of your kits OR need a new badge for your beret.

what does this have to do with a push up?

Brixxie said:
But you are syphoning the talent pool drastically by turning them away at the door.
it could also be argued that, since every recruit is given a package that details the standards that will be expected of you, if you fail to achieve the extremely low standard, you lack the initiative and discipline to make it through Basic at all, and that hanging onto a recruit at that point is just throwing money away that could be better used elsewhere.

Every base has a state of the art gym, psp staff. Instructors and a whole bunch of other people to motivate.
none of which is required. Push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups, and running. No gym or instructor required.

The entire point *sigh* is that it is changing!  this is not your Fathers army anymore.
Do you PT the tiny ladies whose fingers make your uniforms? are they not anymore a important cog to the machine that is the Canadian Forces? then the man holding the gun?
what about the people who make the munitions? do they have to do push ups to get in? or should we throw rocks at the enemy?

Its a machine with many parts...

Brixxie said:
okay well you do push ups and I will make sure all the Int reports are typed out and filed on time.  I will also take extra time to make sure all files are in order for briefings and  shipping receiving invoices are ready on time. As well I will make sure that the inventory is in order when you are missing parts of your kits OR need a new badge for your beret.

what does this have to do with a push up?

#1 -- you might want to be careful to whom you start beaking off about typing up INT reports to... especially if you don't know who they are or what they do.

#2 -- you don't have a right to join the military.  You have to earn the privilege.  It won't kill ANY female in this world to TRAIN sufficiently to manage to pull off 15 or 20 pushups.  It will simply require them to demonstrate how hard they are willing to work to achieve their goal.  If you don't want to do the work, then you don't want it badly enough.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe pushups are indicative of more than just physical strength?

Maybe they have something to do with determination, will power, drive and desire.

If you can't find it in yourself to master a few SIMPLE exercises, why would anyone want you in uniform?

Brixxie said:
The entire point *sigh* is that it is changing!  this is not your Fathers army anymore.

No denying that.

Brixxie said:
...... the tiny ladies whose fingers make your uniforms? are they not anymore a important cog to the machine that is the Canadian Forces? then the man holding the gun?
what about the people who make the munitions? do they have to do push ups to get in? or should we throw rocks at the enemy?

These people are not in the CF.  They are civilians.  Maybe some of them are DND civilians, but not all are.  

Brixxie said:

Not all those parts are military.

paracowboy said:
Brixxie,

first, there is no front lines anymore. Everybody can expect to come under fire once they hit theatre. EVERYBODY. So EVERYBODY has to be fit to fight.

Second, the fitter you are, the less time off you take for illness, stress, or injury rehabilitation; therefore, the less expense you incur for medical crap, and the more productive you are.

I could go on, but those two alone should illustrate the need for everybody in the CF to maintain a decent level of physical fitness. The minimum standards are not a 'decent' level. They are pathetically low.

Brixxie said:

As Para stated....EVERYONE needs to be fit to fight now.  Don't use being a woman as an excuse either...it is an insult to the rest of us.

scoutfinch said:
#1 -- you might want to be careful to whom you start beaking off about typing up INT reports to... especially if you don't know who they are or what they do.

#2 -- you don't have a right to join the military.  You have to earn the privilege.  It won't kill ANY female in this world to TRAIN sufficiently to manage to pull off 15 or 20 pushups.  It will simply require them to demonstrate how hard they are willing to work to achieve their goal.  If you don't want to do the work, then you don't want it badly enough.

But the army WILL be training everyone, and if they can't cut it after 90 days they are out...........so whats the problem? Money? I am sure the Harper government is providing the extra budgeting. (they just cut a bunch of worthless social programs, so they have the money =])

and Brixxie, as for your argument of get them in the door and then train them:

if you can't do 9 pushups now, how do you think you will be able to manage PT on your BMQ or IAP/BOTP? 

Trust me, your DS doesn't  do them in sets of 10 when you start doing PAL (Pain Assisted Learning) on course.

Brixxie said:
The entire point *sigh* is that it is changing! 
*sigh* the entire point is *sigh* that the 'changes' are not necessarily *sigh* for the better, since *sigh* we end up with people who *sigh* don't have the parts to hack out the *sigh* tough stuff, and tend to *sigh* mouth off when they should be *sigh* trying to learn and achieve an acceptable *sigh* standard.
this is not your Fathers army anymore.
*sigh* more's the pity *sigh*. Dad is still able to do anything required to pass the PT standard, and can still hump a moose out on his back. And he's 56 with a bad back.

Do you PT the tiny ladies whose fingers make your uniforms? are they not anymore a important cog to the machine that is the Canadian Forces? then the man holding the gun?
they aren't going to be in a theatre of war, and I won't have to either A) worry about them shooting me in the back because they're too tired to function, or B) lose even more sleep by staying up all night and guarding their asses after conducting an 8 - 12 hour patrol.

same thing. Now, if you type your "Int Reports" out as poorly as this post, then perhaps the point about failing to achieve standards is well-driven home here?

and if they aren't all functioning at the top of their form, the machine breaks down.

where did being a woman come into play here? seriously
I am talking about the other skills that are being forced to the front of this recruiting initiative.

I don't know about you but Bill Gates doesn't look like he can do 35 push ups. But hey who needs the personal computer anyway right >.>

Brixxie said:
don't know about you but Bill Gates doesn't look like he can do 35 push ups. But hey who needs the personal computer anyway right >.>

Who cares about Bill Gates?  Is he joining the CF?  If he is, he should get himself into some semblance of shape.

Brixxie said:
back on track

so every who is joining the forces is going infantry right?

Yes.  First a rifleman.  

Anyone who is in the Forces can potentially deploy to a two-way range.  There are no pay clerks on said range.

BILL GATES IS NOT A SOLDIER.

What part of this are you not understanding?  Not everyone in this world needs to be able to do pushups.  Members of the CF need to for a variety of reasons, none of which is up to you to challenge. 

If you want to join, understand that there are certain things required of you.  Including physical fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back