• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"New plaza to recognize (Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa) service throughout Canada’s history"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This from Queen's Park's info-machine ...
The Ontario government is committing more than $100,000 in capital funding to the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa (Duke of Edinburgh’s Own) to support the construction of a

(....)

“Throughout our proud history, Canadians have shown exceptional bravery, resourcefulness, and dedication in defence of our country, and the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa (Duke of Edinburgh’s Own) have answered the call since the very beginning,” said (Lisa MacLeod, Minister of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries). “That is why we are proud to support the development of a Cameron Highlanders commemorative plaza. Since the birth of our country, this regiment has bravely served through numerous times of war and conflict. With the creation of this memorial plaza, we are ensuring that the courage and valour of these great Canadians – especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice – will never be forgotten.”

The Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa (Duke of Edinburgh’s Own) is a reserve infantry unit within the Canadian Armed Forces, located within the 4th Canadian Division. As part of 33 Canadian Brigade Group, the regiment trains soldiers in the light infantry role for augmentation to the regular force and for use in emergencies at home. The regiment also provides Ceremonial Guards of Honour for visiting dignitaries and for national ceremonies and events. Another very active part of the regimental family is the Cameron Highlanders Pipe and Drums, who are regularly tasked in national ceremonial roles, competitions and events in the Ottawa Valley. The Cameron Highlanders commemorative plaza will be located at the corner of Robertson Road and Northside Road in Nepean ...

This from Queen's Park's info-machine ...

This is a good news story, for sure.

However, I reflect upon my years in the UK, where you can come across very poignant memorials to various regiments etc, tucked away in obscure locations and obviously not very well cared for.

I wonder if a better solution might be for regiments to sponsor a memorial to be placed in the local museum, library or some other similarly well managed public space, to keep all of these memorials in one place so they're easy to see, and to make sure they're looked after.

Just a thought...

This from Queen's Park's info-machine ... the corner of Robertson Road and Northside Road in Nepean ...

Can anyone explain why or how that location was chosen? That intersection is a couple of suburban streets lined with strip malls as far as I can tell. Is there something more in that area?

Can anyone explain why or how that location was chosen? That intersection is a couple of suburban streets lined with strip malls as far as I can tell. Is there something more in that area?
B Coy, CH of O parades out of Lynwood plaza right across the street (literally an old beer store- fitting).

For thread title- it’s CH of O. The Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders are a separate regiment out of Winnipeg.

B Coy, CH of O parades out of Lynwood plaza right across the street (literally an old beer store- fitting).

For thread title- it’s CH of O. The Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders are a separate regiment out of Winnipeg.
Thanks - silly me, I trusted the news release to have the correct version.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the Regiment also traces its founding to that area and has strong link to the area. Makes sense.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the Regiment also traces its founding to that area and has strong link to the area. Makes sense.
You’re bang on. 43rd battalion was raised in Bells Corners, and is perpetuated by the Camerons. The regiment is still going strong.

Now the GGFG are going to want one.
They got one in 2014. In Barhaven. Maybe the Ch of O asked for one after that ;)

I must be still hung over from Remembrance Day - I read it as "new pizza to recognize Camerons". :sneaky:

I hope that there are a few Camerons on here that appreciate the fact that we are using a thread about them to make fun of the Foot Guards.
I appreciate the fact that even to this day the Foot Guards live rent free in some Camerons’ heads.

Regardless. It’s a nice commemorative idea.

Back