• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Leatherman Multi-tool

gun plumber

Inactive
Reaction score
If anyone out there is planning on getting a new multi-tool,I've got just 2 words for ya, Leatherman Charge.
This thing is the Alpha and omega of multi-tools.Just got mine yesterday,and I tell ya,Leatherman out did themselves.
Its got titanium handles,stainless knives,saw,diamond file,a bit driver system that includes hex and torx and the sheath allows you to carry it open or closed.Another good feature,it comes with a removable pocket clip and lanyard ring,so when not in use,you dont have to have them getting in your way.
Now all that being said,it's a bit pricey,but with the 25 yr warrenty,you should have it for years to come and not need another multi-tool forever.

We get the SOG tool issued...

Why spend your $ when the buy as decent system (unlike so many others...)

How is the SOG one compared to the Gerber ones they issue in the Res?

Hi guys,  is everyone issued these tools, or just certain trades, and only when they are fully trained? also what is issued when you are first sworn in?

Thanx

The SOG is a good system - however it is very gradually replacing the Gerber.

I do question the intelligence in replacing a workable system the lockblade Gerber tool - with the SOG where we coudl use the money for better systems.

I have no idea on the scale of issue for other trades...

My issued black Gerber was issued over 2 years ago. Still in the package. In my opinion (some may disagree) I do not find it suits my needs. I own one identical to the issued one and did not like it. People opinions on multi tools vary for their trade and job therefore this is my own experience with it. I understand some like it.

As for the new SOG multi tool, if i remember correctly on the entitlement sheet, it is REG force combat arms units. So some of us are not as fortunate to get good multi tool such as the SOG, so we have to buy are own.

my 2 cents
;D

You are correct, only Reg Force Cbt arms...we CSS aren't privileged.

Besides I'll swear by my Leatherman Wave.

I hear people on these board talk about picking up this and that to add or modify their kit, can you really just put aside what is issued and carry whatever you want? where does CF draw the line on this?

At your stage in the game,I would'nd worry to much about adding or modifying your kit.On course,they stress uniformity and adherance to the dress regs.A few small things you can pick up now that are good to have are a multi-tool(if you don't like the issued one),a utility knife(no ninga rambo K-bar type-a small folding knife will do),a flashlight(Maglite or a LED),some bungee cords,snap links,Hydration pack(keep it simple and conservative and a decent shave kit.
Once off course and in the "working"army,you can then look at the more exotic kit thats out there,once you learn whats acceptable in your unit.Even though there is dress reg out there,how it is interpreted is another thing.
The army is pretty accepting of "snivel" kit as long as it is a help,rather than a hinderace.Alot of the CPgear is nice,but is inpracticable.
my 2 cents

Back