• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New (Issue) Rain Gear VS Stealth Suits

Far as I know, QG SQFT & 5GSS (ASU) did this all at the same time (at least those in the Montreal area) .... only 1 pr per person.  Project took 6 weeks from the date we turned em in to the date we got em back.

Last winter, I thought they had done a great job - felt a lot more stable than prior..... this year, my opinion has changed considerably.

This question (the original thread topic) is one I've been asking myself lately.

I have a stealth jacket (which I love) and have been debating whether to spring for the bottoms or wait out for the issued rain gear.  i have had the oppurtunity to borrow some of the new rain gear and for me, it would be for strictly cooler weather only.  I'm a definite winter person who sweats easy and not being able to remove the liner of the rain gear relegates it to pratically winter only.  I can usually get through a moderately cold day spent mostly outside with just polypro, stealth suit and combat shirt.  I put my combat coat on maybe half a dozen times this winter in Pet, granted i wasn't on exercise or anything.  Just a few cold days at the range, taskings, etc.  Usually if I think I might be cold, fleece is enough.  I hate bulking up on clothing unless absolutely neccesary.

That being said, I will probably be buying stealth pants which kind of dissapoints me as that will just mean more kit options/complications when i get the rain gear.  I was hoping to simplify things and be a little less out of pocket.  If only the liners were removable (although the ideas here are interesting).

There's a stealth suit in the 1 RCR kit shop, which appears to be MARPAT and has a removeable fleece liner plus nicities like pockets.  It would be ideal for me outside the fact I couldn't wear it on the outside ala rain gear without fear of jacking.  At $175 for each piece, it isn't cheap, but not a whole lot more then a regular stealth suit.

DD.. just to give you a heads up... I had the new raingear in Afghanistan and turned it back in at the end of tour.. folded in the same way I received it, never used.  That's the top and bottoms.

I tend to use my wind pants for lower protection and my stealth suit top under my combat shirt for upper.  I never wore my goretex jacket once during the whole tour.  We had some pretty chilly and wet days but I was warm with my polypro, stealth then cadpat shirt.

Bzzliteyr said:
DD.. just to give you a heads up... I had the new raingear in Afghanistan and turned it back in at the end of tour.. folded in the same way I received it, never used.  That's the top and bottoms.

I tend to use my wind pants for lower protection and my stealth suit top under my combat shirt for upper.  I never wore my goretex jacket once during the whole tour.  We had some pretty chilly and wet days but I was warm with my polypro, stealth then cadpat shirt.
Roger.

Sounds like were a like in that regards.  I'm thinking the rain gear will more or less be my everday winter kit.

Hi, I was wondering if you guys thought a stealth suit is really worth the moola that it is, for an infantard like myself.

Easily worth the cash, one of the best pieces of kit I have.  You thank yourself for buying it everytime you have to be out in the rain/wind.

I love it, but im always getting rashes and bad abrasions from it, so I end up wearing my thermals underneath it to avoid this, but it gets fucking hot in the summer and on the march.

Is there any way to avoid this, or a thinner liner I can get?

Canadian Mind said:
I love it, but im always getting rashes and bad abrasions from it, so I end up wearing my thermals underneath it to avoid this, but it gets fucking hot in the summer and on the march.

Is there any way to avoid this, or a thinner liner I can get?

There used to be liners for American Cbt Coats that we used to buy for inside our American rainsuits way back when........before we got the latest rainsuits.  It was made out of the same light nylon/rayon as the Ranger Blankets.  A very nice lightweight liner. 

George Wallace said:
There used to be liners for American Cbt Coats that we used to buy for inside our American rainsuits way back when........before we got the latest rainsuits.  It was made out of the same light nylon/rayon as the Ranger Blankets.  A very nice lightweight liner. 

Any idea where one could find these? I have Full Spectrum Gear nearby, but they aren't a surplus store.

Canadian Mind said:
Any idea where one could find these? I have Full Spectrum Gear nearby, but they aren't a surplus store.

Try contacting the PPCLI kitshop.

http://www.gcks.ca/catalog/index.php?cPath=69

Just a warning, not saying GCK isn't a good source for the M65 jacket liners, BUT, you could get them for around $5 if you shop around.

Back