• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Indirect Fire Support Systems Needed

cbtygunner:

If you were to have a 120mm mortar system--in place of towed 105mm howitzers for mechanized battle group support--would you prefer a turreted mortar system like the Delco Defense Armoured Mortar System or Patria AMOS or a turntable mounted system like the current "Wolf" (converted Bison)equipped with 81mm on turntable mount. Both have positives and negatives with the former more costly, but better response times and a limited direct fire capability. The turntable mounted mortars are inherently more flexible, because they can be dismounted in the towed role at will and are significantly cheaper in all respects. They do have slightly slower response times, no direct fire capability, but slightly less armour protection with the open top of the vehicle when firing. Personnaly, I like the AMOS or AMS concept for mechanized forces best, but the turntable mount is definitely more appealing in these very cost constrained times.

Old Army Guy:

Check out www.army-technology.com for some basic info on the M777 under the "product index" link. I disagree with your incorporation of a 40mm AGL per platoon. The weigt of the systems is simply too high even in their current lightest form (ie. General Dynamic Mk. 47 Striker). It is not just the system weight, because that could probably be managed--just barely. The ammunition, more specifically a useful load simply could not be carried by an infantry platoon. I concede it may be possible at the company level, but unless the weight problem is solved it is a no go. However, there is potential in your proposal if the XM307 25mm Objective Combat Support Weapon (OCSW) comes to fruition. Check out www.generaldynamics.com under its land systems division lethality systems grouping. However, an AGL can not provide the very specific small scale indirect fire support that an infantry rifle company receives from a 60mm lightweight mortar.

Personnally, in my experience the 60mm mortar‘s potential is wasted when grouped individually in the handheld role at the platoon level 99 times out of 100 in most situations. If used at the company level in a small section of two tubes in the tripod role (plus a third carried by the CQ truck as a spare or for specific missions), the 60mm would be far more effective. Furthermore, the M203A1 has largely replaced the 60mm mortars role for platoon needs and if the 60mm mortar is really needed, one can be attached.

Brock,
I was wondering if u have links to this turret system I‘d like to read up on it some more. As for the turntable mount, I like it for the 81mm only, because if you strike a mine or the vehicle gets shot up, u can still dismount and carry the mortor and ammo with you. But I‘d really like to see more info on the 120 if u can plz and thanks.

cbtygunner:

This is a link to the Patria website with links to its mortar and other weapon systems under the products-weapons systems link: http://www.patria.fi/index.asp?id=CBD0FB31EEF5461E943353F4D3D5C7BA

Note the Patria AMOS has been preselected as a primary candidate for the US Army‘s Future Combat System project.

This is a link to the fomerly Delco Defense, now General Dynamics Land Systems Armoured Mortar System: http://www.gdls.com/systems/ams120.html

How about a close support battery organized with a mix of LAV-III 105mm SPHs and LAV-III 120mm AMSs.  Remove the 81mm mortar platoon from the infantry battalion but leave the three 60mm mortars in each rifle company and group them together into a mortar section.

Battery Headquarters
-TAC CP/Battle Group FSCC (LAV-III Command Vehicle)
-Battery CP (LUVWs or LASVs)
-3 x Fire Effects Detachments (LASV Fire Effects Vehicle)
-Support Troop (stores, food service, maintenance, medical & ammo sections)
-Howitzer Troop (4 x LAV-III 105mm SPHs, 4 x HLVW ammo carriers, a LAV-III CV for the Troop CP & a LASV for the TSM & Recce NCO)
-Mortar Troop (4 x LAV-III 120mm AMSs, 4 x HLVW ammo carriers, a LAV-III CV for the Troop CP & a LASV for the TSM and Recce NCO)

Total manpower is approximately 115 personnel.

**LASV (Light Armoured Support Vehicle) is what I named the MOWAG/General Motors Eagle IV armoured car.  It fills the exact same role as the British Army's new Future Command & Liaison Vehicle they just began receiving.  (www.mowag.ch for Eagle IV or www.army-technology.com for FCLV)

Just for discussion purposes....I believe this is the Delcor 120mm Mortar Turret on a LAV-III.

Matthew.   :salute:

Piranha_13.jpg

I also agree that the M109's have seen their day and we need to move to a better system for the modern operational tempo.However lessons learned in BIH and AFGHANISTAN, the idea of air mobile artillery is something that cant be ignored.155 towed is completely out of the question unless we purchase new choppers and the L5 isnt coming back anytime soon.If we can maintain towed 105 with avgp gun tractors, an 81mm mortar tube per gun and include a locating troop per battery, I believe we would have an all around highly mobile fast strike artillery team with the air mobile capeability.As for the reserves, maintain training on c3 howitzers and incorporate 81mm mortars into reserve arty units so that they are more effective when augmenting reg force units on operations.

As an alternative to my combined 120mm mortar/105mm howitzer close support battery I proposed above, how about a regiment with three close support batteries each with 6 LAV-III 120mm Armoured Mortar Systems and a general support battery with 6 LAV-III 105mm Self-Propelled Howitzers.  The LAV-III 120mm AMS has a 10,000m range.  The 30,000m range of the LAV-III 105mm SPH gives it a long range/countery battery fire support role.

I would say we really should get 120mm Mortars (such as the DElco system on LAVIII Chasis seen above) for close indirect fire support (120mm mortar is VERY deadly) and keep towed 155mm guns for long range (with new ammo I think the range is like 30 KM or so ? arty gods fill us in). My expirienced is based on being a 81mm mortar man and watching the dutch fire 120mm mortars (big Dif).
Also the delco system has limited range in direct fire....

What's wrong with the LAV-III Denel 105mm SPH for the long range artillery instead of towed 155's?  The new Denel 105mm is a technilogical advancement in that it has a 30,000m range and its shell has a explosive radius and kill power greater than a 155mm round.  This is a first ever for a 105mm gun.  This is all according to the Denel/GDLS demonstration that was conducted in the US for the US, UK, Canadian and Australian armies.  I don't remember the site off hand, sorry.

The new Denel 105 round has an increased lethality as it is prefragmented. Think of crossing a claymore mine with an artillery shell. Constructing a 155 projectile in the same way would create a larger more effective round than the prefrag 105.

If we lose the ability to fire 155 we lose the ability to use any of the 155 specialty ammunitions such as BONUS and copperhead. Additionally some 155s are capable of ranges in excess of 40 km.

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?session=dae.4308111.1089903978.QPadasOa9dUAAESlMZk&modele=jdc_34
http://army.ca/forums/threads/1595.0.html

On top of 2ft Onions post it seems that the USMC is finalizing their indirect fire support.

It looks as if it is HIMARS for ranges beyond 45 km, M777 lightweight 155mm howitzer for 10 to 30 km - possibly complete with GPS rounds, and a TOWED RT-120mm rifled mortar from EADS of France to cover the ground from 7 to 20 km.

Interesting mix.

My two cents worth, being a non-gunner:

1.  For medium brigades:

a) LAV-III 120mm mortar platoons, back in the battalions! (Patria AMOS)
    b) LAV-III 105mm SPH arty regiments. (Denel)

2.  For light brigades:

a) Towed 120mm mortar platoons, back in the battalions! (Patria long-range mortar)
    b) Towed 105mm or 155mm arty regiments (LG1 or M777 guns)

Did I mention that I would re-org our field army into 2 medium and 1 light brigade, instead of our current mixed ones...

And if we had a conservative government... :p

3.  For a heavy brigade: (with two tank battalions! lol) (M1A2 or Leo 2 A6 equiped)

a) CV9035 120mm mortar platoons, in the 2 armoured infantry battalions! (CV9035 Mk III IFV equiped)
    b) PzH 2000 155mm SPH arty regiment

One can only dream eh... the sad part is it is completely realistic for a nation the economic size of Canada!

Hey I was wondering how much the M119 Howitzer (105mm, Towed) costs.  I've looked all over and I can't find any information.  Eventhough I can find it on the M198 155mm Medium Howitzer, Towed.  Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

It is my understanding, at least from the MOC briefing I received, that we are looking at purchasing a 155mm towed howitzer such as the M777 with GPS guided rounds in addition to 120mm mortars, again with GPS guided rounds, finally augmented by a missile system such as the American MRLS which has something like 6 missiles with a range of 30-40km or a single missile with a range of 300-400km. As Lt. Col. Douglas put it, artillery is no longer going to be called in to level a grid square, it's changing to a much more precision based system.

In my opinion, there should be alot of change in the artillery! I dont think we can afford to lose are 155 capabilities just yet. But i dont think we can get ride of the 105s either. We are going to be called upon to use our artillery capabilities sooner or later. And alothough Canada is a peacekeeping country at the moment, we have no idea what is to come next. The introduction of the 120mm mortar would be a huge boost into the artilley, with added capabilities. I think our guys out in the field deserve to know that we have the ability to either flatten an entire grid, or a single building. Personally, i believe that the way we fight out in the field needs to be backed up by as much firepower as we can get to back our men and women up! Im fairly new to the whole thing... but if i had anything to do with it, wed increase our arty capabilities alot more than we have been for the last few years!  :salute:

Interesting topic and very relevant.  I just returned from an industrial tour in the US and visited a few Arsenal and projectiles manufacturers.  I also visited Ft Sill Oklahoma, Home of the Field Artillery.  This visit was coupled with a briefing from DLSP in NDHQ (the ones who forge the Army of Tomorrow).  DLSP has been given the auth to look at a 155mm option as to the next Canadian Arty Piece.  I had a chance to see a M777 with the digitized Fire Control System used in Oklahoma by the Marines.  Outstanding piece of kit and very light as well.  9800 Pounds .  It takes only two soldiers to unhook the gun off the vehicle and spin it around.  The beauty of this gun is the range it can achieve, 41 K and the different payload it can fire.  This gun was designed in replacement of the CRUSADER project, the SPH 155mm.  It was too heavy and would not fit into a Herc.  the triple 7 uses the new MACS charges (Modular Artillery Charge System).  No more wasted propellant!!!  Further, it can fire the new GPS guided Rd called EXCALIBUR.  This round can be directed onto a target with an accuracy of 3.6m CEP!!!.  In order for the Canadian artillery to become relevant in the Contemporary Operating Environment.  We are going to need lethality, range and precision.  No longer will we be able to fire into a town hundreds of shells until the aim is achieved.  The ramification of collateral damages has now become too great to ignore.

Just in case you are interested.

Quote,
Just in case you are interested.

...actually, very interested,......just one thing I must ask as this Gunner is long past his "best before" date, what do you mean by 3.6m CEP?

As a non gunner, I would like to point out that smaller is not nessesarily worse: 81mm and 105mm can certainly be "tweaked" to improve their performance (see the Denel 105, for example), but the biggest plus is you can carry more rounds in a given space with the smaller ammunition natures. This is important both in fast moving "Light Force/Airborn/Airmobile/Cavalry" type actions, where the unit needs to pack its own supplies or the CSS support has to hustle long distances to supply the unit, and in Urban Ops where the amount of ammunition you have under protection becomes the limiting factor.

Lastly (although this might be mooted by "tweaked" rounds) the danger radius of 81 and 105 is far less than 120 and 155. In Urban Ops, troops might have to be close to see the target and be able top move in and exploit the effects of artillery, having to hang back a block because of the larger danger radius would limit the ability of the dismounted troops to use Arty.

3.6m CEP means 3.6 meters Circular Error probability.  The round will fall within a 3.6 meters circle from its centre.

Aha, so an old tech would know it as PER[probable error in range]

Back