• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Indirect Fire Support Systems Needed

I just spent the last little while reading the thread, and i wa just wondering if anyone could tell me the range of a 120mm mortar? Sorry if i mist it in my reading  :blotto:

Hunter911 said:
I just spent the last little while reading the thread, and i wa just wondering if anyone could tell me the range of a 120mm mortar? Sorry if i mist it in my reading  :blotto:

Have you tried google? Wonderful Search tool.

It has been a long time since I worried about such things, but it seems to me that one CEP is the area into which a given round will fall fifty percent of the time. In other words, it will fall outside that circel fifty percent of the time. However, the vast majority of the rounds will fall within an area equal to three CEP, I think. As I say, I have not worried about this for decades and one of you - perhaps all of you - will have better information.

A couple of points for though, good discussion so far.

During the war years in Yugo 93-95 tubs were in theatre! Specifically 105 and 155.

Let us not confuse all the terms like peace ops and peace keeping the the CBC calling Afgan combat. In the end all the politics at the head office details the type of mission and when we arrive the enemy decides if it is peace keeping or not. Yugo was Canadas first Combat mission since Korea dont forget it. The lessons learned there are invaluable but seem to have been superceeded by the IFOR SFOR days.

The 155 in any manner is the minimum artillery that should ever be used on the battlefield, the 105 is a good training tool but has not the kill capability to be effective in a modern war.
The 120 mortar has almost the same kill capacity as a 155 against personnel. I dont have to worry anymore but I would never go to battle with anything less than the bare minimum or you risk Dunkirk.

I feared the 120 in Bosnia the most 105 was not ever an issue and 82s well they fell like rain are were just a minor nusance. The 152 was a bit of an issue but due to inferior projectiles did not splinter like our 155s so they aere not too scary.

Just some food for thought
As a final note if you ever think light troops is a good idea....just put yourself in the position of the enemy who would you rather go up against, light troops with trucks and lavs and mortars under 120 or some serious whoop ass boys in tracks with 120s 155 and tanks... I know your answer and that should be the party line, call your MP and stop your CO from even thinking less.

Back