• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New "HLVW" type Mercedes Truck in Gagetown?

honestyrules

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi! Somebody out there knows what's going on with those trucks? Are they trial only? They are of the same size as an HL and the one I seen was a "PLS TYPE" truck. There was markings in the windows too (something like in a car show) with all the specs on the vehicule.

They're being assessed for replacement of the MLVW.  You can see more on Army news. One of the episodes between 45-55 I think.

PLS... it makle sure it can handel the PLS deal.

As good of a truck as it was and still is, the MLVW wasnt known for having an abundance of power. From what Ive seen, having PLS capability is pretty much a waste. If we used it in the field like we should, it isnt a bad idea, however we dont.

Well guys.  I will disagree with both of you on the PLS.  It is a very useful tool.  If you have ever been in 'places' where it has been used a lot, you would see the advantages of it.  It has seen a wide variety of uses, and is very adaptable.  I ran a PLS Section and the things we could do go far beyond both your experiences.  The Engineers also find it a useful piece of kit, as do the Sigs.

Yes yes we do  ;D

How else would we get our bridging pieces to the task site? or move the ROWPU.

:cheers:

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=ec355a40-7809-40a7-aa14-15feadfdd810&k=54443

"They're taking a beating out here," said Warrant Officer John Blain, who runs the maintenance section at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa and who is responsible for the team that keeps the vehicles running here.

"I was looking at some of the [heavy trucks] today. We're keeping them rolling because that's what we do, but it's an awful lot of bubble gum and Band-Aids."

Mr. O'Connor said his government is "looking at rushing through a bunch of heavy trucks," but that they needed to be armoured.

O'Connor lands amid attacks in Kandahar
Mechanic has complaint  
Donald McArthur, CanWest News Service
Published: Wednesday, August 30, 2006

As I remember these stories from O'Connor's last visit the point was made that the MLVW replacement project (which has been approved) is separate from the HLVW project (which has yet to be approved).  Perhaps these are the rush replacements for the HLVWs he was talking about rather than MLVW replacements.

Is the Oshkosh MTT being offered for part of truck replacement program?

Howie said:
As good of a truck as it was and still is, the MLVW wasnt known for having an abundance of power. From what Ive seen, having PLS capability is pretty much a waste. If we used it in the field like we should, it isnt a bad idea, however we dont.

You never got to drive the deuce did you? I think the biggest problem with the MLVW, is that the tranny and the engine never seemed to a happy couple.

The big Mercedes Army truck (no licence plates) was on static display at the Halifax international airshow right inside the main entrance in early september.  I asked around but nobody seemed to have any explanation of why it was there .  It sounds like it was the same one as in Gagetown with manufacturers data displayed in winshield.  Also in the Army display area there were a lot of MILCOTS trucks and when asked why the Regs were using trucks orignally meant for Reserves was told they used them to tow the LSVW's down from Gagetown besides posession is 9/10th of the law.

Toodles.

STONEY said:
The big Mercedes Army truck (no licence plates) was on static display at the Halifax international airshow right inside the main entrance in early september.  I asked around but nobody seemed to have any explanation of why it was there .  It sounds like it was the same one as in Gagetown with manufacturers data displayed in winshield.  Also in the Army display area there were a lot of MILCOTS trucks and when asked why the Regs were using trucks orignally meant for Reserves was told they used them to tow the LSVW's down from Gagetown besides posession is 9/10th of the law.

Toodles.

Can you say Bison? ;D

some milcots did go to reg units (not borrowed from the Reserves).... eg: MP Platoons.

Given that some changes were made to the GWagon allocation so that Res RECCE units could get some.... quite probable that the freed up Milcots found their way into Reg compounds

I'm not sure anyone was around for the old CUCVs.  They were also a MILCOT type vehicle.  and was told to be for the Res only.  but when the Reg units were deployed, they only wanted to take the CUCv over the iltis, do to the fact that they were diesel. and more solid then the Iltis.  Now as for the Gwagon and MILCOT.  If I was dropping a large bag of cash for vehicles,  I would want them to be used as needed.  hence why both are dispersed over the whole army.  A great use of funds. I think anyways. 

ringo said:
Is the Oshkosh MTT being offered for part of truck replacement program?

I believe so, and I hope we get the Oshkosh truck.

Kirkhill said:
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=ec355a40-7809-40a7-aa14-15feadfdd810&k=54443

As I remember these stories from O'Connor's last visit the point was made that the MLVW replacement project (which has been approved) is separate from the HLVW project (which has yet to be approved).  Perhaps these are the rush replacements for the HLVWs he was talking about rather than MLVW replacements.

HLVW are being mid life upgraded instead of replaced right away. 

Such a big truck to replace the 2.5 ton is to handle the armies bigger kit.  M777 with Ammo, engineer stuff, even 105's with det and ammo.  the MSVS from Oshkosh is a big truck, with a seven ton capacity, but it fits in a herc, and is being thorwn in as a replacemtn for the ML, and having driven it, I have to say, lets get it done with.  It is an awesome truck.

Back