• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Guns for 1 RCHA...

Goober,

Some interesting points. Thank you very much for them. Could you expand on the reason why you cannot fire without knowing the temperature of the tube?

In the really bad, old days when the school was in Shilo, we found the winterization kit that came with the original M109s was a joke. We had concerns, which I think turned out to be unfounded, on the effect of a Manitoba winter on the hydaulics, etc and the various bits and pieces filled with nitrogen. 

What form with the firing on 2 December take. Will this be a confirmatory round from each gun fired with a long lanyard to test the gun? After that will some fire missions be engaged?

The tube itself is a shaved down version of the one on the American's M198, which is thier 155 towed. They shaved it down to reduce the weight, however it heats up faster now. And if the tube is too hot, you risk a cookoff of the charge bags. On the temp gage you have green (up to 170 deg) yellow (171 to 350) and red (above 350). You can only fire in the red in a combat situation, plus if you have a misfire, your misfire drills depend on what temp the tube is at. So if your TWD (thermal warning device) is unreadable or damaged you have to have it replaced or fixed. Of course if the tube is cold to the touch, or just warm, you could fire.

On Dec 2nd when we fire the gun, the first round will be with a 25 foot lanyard, with noone near the gun. Rounds after that will be with a 6 foot lanyard. Thats all I know, when we were in the states, they said we will be firing from the field behind the officers mess. But things change so often.

I'll see if I can post some pics of us training on the gun in Oklahoma if I get them developed today.

Goober,

Thank you for the very clear explanation re the temperature. Good shooting next week.

have a good time with your new toy :)
good explanation of things you're going to have to keep your eyes open for, even this Sapper got the gist of things

Chimo!

Of course if the tube is cold to the touch, or just warm, you could fire.

What? Have they done away with the spittle test???  Guess I've been away from the gunline for awhile  :-\

whiskey601 said:
Are those all season tires? 

Non directional tires. I think were getting new ones later.

Thats us in those pics there, I'm the one on the far left in the first pic, last guy on the speed shift bar. They had a video camera out there too which will be on the Army News channel sometime.

They have arrived safely here in Shilo.  4 x M777 YAY, mean looking thing, cant wait to see this gun in action....

Keep calling it the "Black Jack", the name will stick eventually.

still looks a little strange to see the towing ring up there at the muzzle

maybe we should start a rumor that it's for a bayonet :)

George Wallace said:
15 M777 Howitzers don't go very far in the Regular Force.   How do you expect some to filter down to the Reserves?
Well, given the extreme manpower shortages in the Artillery (manning TF HQ FSCCs, UAV troops, etc etc), part of the solution is to augment, heavily, from the reserves for deployments.  Only makes sense.

About as much sense as having Artillery guys keep mortars in the QM.

GIMME BACK ME FRIGGIN' MORTARS  :p

Garvin out

Aint the prettiest looking gun, but it aint no fashion show when it comes to firepower huh? it puts the LG-1 to shame, and it sure does look aggessive. WOW cant wait to see this gun in action.

At the FAS we're hearing some interesting tidbits about this piece.  The Ammo and Eqpt guys are saying that the wheel and axles are built quite weakly and are ideal for nice flat ground... not necessarily ideal for rough cross country hauling.  In addition, a weapons tech briefed us on it and, in order to decrease weight a lot of the parts are aluminum and less robust metals than is normally the case in guns.  The end result, of course, is a gun that may just start breaking down a lot more regularly than we planned.  With only six coming into service, and four being deployed overseas, that doesn't leave much of a reserve to draw from!

considering the amount of time between our deciding to purchase and getting our hands on the units, would gather that new guns and parts are readily available from the Manifacturer.

Because we did not go into "canadianizing" the thing, it's a standard, off the shelf unit that will be relatively easy to maintain.... and part of current production.

Not a bad thing in certain respects.

Have seen some of the gun tractors that carry the 155 "piggyback" for some countries. That may be part of the overall solution.

horsegunner353 said:
At the FAS we're hearing some interesting tidbits about this piece.  The Ammo and Eqpt guys are saying that the wheel and axles are built quite weakly and are ideal for nice flat ground... not necessarily ideal for rough cross country hauling.  In addition, a weapons tech briefed us on it and, in order to decrease weight a lot of the parts are aluminum and less robust metals than is normally the case in guns.  The end result, of course, is a gun that may just start breaking down a lot more regularly than we planned.  With only six coming into service, and four being deployed overseas, that doesn't leave much of a reserve to draw from!

There are no axles on this gun, it has independent suspension. And it handles great off road in Oklahoma. We'll have to wait and see how it does out here.

Most of the gun is made of cast titanium, including the spades, trail arms, stabalizers, saddle, body and some of the craddle. The barrel is made of hardened steel weighing in at 3420 lbs. The muzzle break is made of steel aswell. You could beat any of those parts with a sledge hammer and not break it, its tough. The only things I'm concerned about is what I posted in a previous post.

The cerimony for the guns just ended. They blessed the guns, and did a battery right 1 rnd FFE. Those guns are pretty loud. Gunners from A bty did the firing from behind the officer's mess hall on base.

Can't wait for the test firing we'll be doing next week. Lots of rounds down range.  :bullet:

I just hope these guns are as good as LCol Douglas makes them sound. All the more reason that I want to go to 1 RCHA once I get out into the real world.

I remember when we got the LG1,. every one said what a piece of crap it was. Things broke on it yes. But the basic gun itself actually does a pretty good job of being light and portable and able to do it's job.
The new 155 does just that, it is light and portable. I am pretty sure that this gun is the best system for the money we spent and what we need and want. Their are a few 155 towed helo portable How's out their. But I am inclined to go with what the Americans have tried tested and trued in Battle.
Now if one can only get a helo to lift them we would be allright.

Gunners in the RRCA good luck, I have a few buddies going to A-Stan with ya's with the new guns. I hope all goes well. Kinda wish I was one of them at this point in time.

UBIQUE

Back