• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Grenade

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
80% of this thread is a joke and about 15% serious (Wheres the other 5 you scream!)

What if they came up with EMP grenades? Thats Electromagnetic Pulse of course.

Whent he grenade (or charge) goes off it short circuts all electronical equipment in an area.

Inside a building it will kill lights and intrusion devices.
Throw it under a tank and all the guidence and gunnery equipment is garbage.
Throw it at troops and ruin the $400 watches they bring to the field and their CD diskman or MP# player (thus destroying moral)

Mostly a joke but if you consider it, it has some good theory behind it eh?

Doesn‘t sound any less practical than Frank Zappa‘s proposal to use aerosol pork grenades against militant fundamentalist Muslims.

Yep. The whole idea of a pork product deterrent is amusing, but anyone who can rationalize the death of innocents as a path to heaven probably isn‘t going to be deterred by a lesser proscription.

The idea of an EMP device is not new. In fact the US and former Soviets put a lot of time and effort into it.

The US has several payloads for various aircraft that use microwave to blast electronics. And it looks like they are getting ready to trial a veh mounted version. Hmm, the Orville Redenbacker people popper...

As for grenades/personal delivery devices, rumors abound, but I would surmise if the US got this down to a device for localized use, they aren‘t going to advertise it, at least not until they are fielded in some conflict in the near future.

And remember, if it can zap the bad guys it can zap the good as well. :blotto:

The US better hope that they don‘t get zapped by an EMP device, or worse, their constellation of GPS satellites. However will they manage to navigate their vehicles and soldiers across the battlefield. Map and compass, what‘s that??

I remember watching tests of small EMP devices while I was on an exchange course at Fort Meade. I couldn‘t really get close enough to see anything. But the rumours were that they were having trouble in relationship to size of the device, to the minimum range that they desired

This was in 1982. Who knows what‘s out there now?

Back