• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New general in command of Canadian troops in Afghanistan

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
New general in command of Canadian troops in Afghanistan
By The Canadian Press  19 Nov 2009
copy at:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20091119/menard_general_091119/20091119?hub=Canada

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan  — The incoming commander of Canadian Forces in Afghanistan is preparing to change the focus of counter-insurgency efforts as he deals with the possibility NATO will once again enlarge the area under Canadian control.

Brig.-Gen. Daniel Menard said Thursday he plans to increase troop levels in the province's dangerous capital, marking a shift from existing strategy concerned largely with rural areas southwest of the city.

"We will be putting a lot of emphasis on Kandahar city," Menard said. "Kandahar city, for me, remains centre of gravity. It is certainly key terrain and it needs to be taken care of."

Menard's efforts in Kandahar city are expected to be bolstered by further additions of U.S. troops, who are likely to fall under Canadian command.

The NATO general in charge of southern Afghanistan, Nick Carter, is slated to issue orders by Monday that could significantly change the territory and resources under Menard's control.

According to Menard, up to four more U.S. units could come under Canadian command.

"This is critical for me in order to move forward," he said. "Number of troops does make a difference."

Menard took over Thursday as commander of Task Force Kandahar from Brig.-Gen. Jonathan Vance, whose so-called "model-village approach" had won praise from Canada's NATO allies.

"There is much that others can learn from what the Canadian Task Force has achieved in the last nine months," Carter said at the transfer of command ceremony.

"Canada had provided a model of how modern counter-insurgency should be prosecuted."

Under Vance, Canada's area of responsibility shrunk by more than half last summer with a surge in U.S. troops.

He took the opportunity to concentrate Canadian efforts in a series of villages in Dand district, which saw a drop in insurgent activity during his tenure.

But Menard acknowledged the possibility that ISAF headquarters could once again enlarge Canada's area of operation.

"I am expecting some orders over the next two days," he said.

Menard also promised to help Kandahar Gov. Tooryalai Wesa deal with corruption in the province.

This comes as Hamid Karzai was sworn in for a second term as president of Afghanistan following a scandal-plagued election.

Menard is the sixth commanders of the Canadian task force in Kandahar. There are close to 2,800 troops under his command.

That's the first thing my wife spotted when she saw the news. 'Why is he wearing his beret like he's in the French army"?

I'm guessing its because he's a general, and he feels like wearing it that way....  :p

"Canada had provided a model of how modern counter-insurgency should be prosecuted."

[Vance] took the opportunity to concentrate Canadian efforts in a series of villages in Dand district, which saw a drop in insurgent activity during his tenure.

Therefore...

The incoming commander of Canadian Forces in Afghanistan is preparing to change the focus of counter-insurgency efforts....

Gee, what a surprise  ::)

The reason why he wears his beret like that is that sometime in his career, like alot of officers, they spend time with international forces. He probably done 2 to 3 yrs with the british army which would explain why he wears his beret that way.

:cdn:

The change in focus from killing Taliban to doctrinal COIN was already made under General Vance who took over early this year.

It was he who first asked the questions:

"Why are we living in FOBs and not with the people?"

"Why are our ops so short?"

"If the people are the prize, why are we running them off to road to protect ourselvs from IEDs?"

BS

He is in the Cdn Army. Even his pay stub shows that. Anyway his RSM should get a grip on him.

I hope is does a good job in his new postion. I will not add  "no matter how he wears his beret".

P.S. More likely French Army as previously stated, rather than the British Army.

Bubbs25 said:
The reason why he wears his beret like that is that sometime in his career, like alot of officers, they spend time with international forces. He probably done 2 to 3 yrs with the british army which would explain why he wears his beret that way.

I've spent a lot of time with inmates over the last 20 years but have, so far at least, resisted the idea of wearing an orange jumpsuit.

Wear it right or put on a helmet......

He did spend a number of years as an exchange officer with the British Army, over a couple of postings, in different positions.
This is where his inspiration for the beret comes from; the French wear their badge on the opposite side.

Yes, you are correct Jungle re the French beret. I was wrong as these pictures indicate.

I've edited my comment. Changed my mind. What's the use arguing this? "Do as I say, not as I do" still seems to be the order of the day.

BRIGADIER-GENERAL MENARD J.B.D. , CD
COMMANDER
LINK

Brigadier-General Daniel Ménard joined the Canadian Forces in 1984. Upon completion of basic officer training, he was posted to the 3rd Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment, as a platoon commander. In 1987, during this first regimental tour, he served as aide-de-camp to the Colonel of the Royal 22e Régiment, General Jean-Victor Allard. Promoted to Captain in 1988, he was posted to Britain to serve as an exchange officer with the Royal Welch Fusiliers. During this tour, he completed the All-Arms Tactics Course and the Support Company Commander's Course at the School of Infantry in Warminster, England, and served in Britain, Germany and some operational theatres as deputy commander and, later, commander of a rifle company.

In August 1991, BGen Ménard was posted to National Defence Headquarters as a career manager. A few months later, he returned to a British working environment, serving in reconnaissance and staff appointments in Germany and Bosnia-Herzegovina under the command of North Army Group Headquarters. Returning to Canada in 1993, he was posted to Land Force Command Headquarters as Executive Assistant to the Army G3. He returned to regimental duty in 1995, commanding a rifle company of the 1st Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment, at home and in Haiti. During that regimental tour, he commanded the battalion's Administration Company in Valcartier and Montreal during Operation RECUPERATION, the Canadian Forces effort in response to the 1998 ice storm. In 1999, having graduated from the Command and Staff College in Toronto, he was posted to Land Force Quebec Area Headquarters as G5 Plans.

Promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in 2001, he served for one year as Chief of Joint Military Affairs at Multinational Division (South-West) Headquarters in Bosnia-Herzegovina. In 2002, he was posted to Valcartier as Deputy Commander of 5 Area Support Group. In August 2004, BGen Ménard assumed command of the 2nd Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment. Over the next two years, he took his unit through 18 months of intense high-readiness training followed by five months of designation as the Canadian Forces' high-readiness infantry battalion. In July 2006, he returned to the Land Staff as Army G3 Operations; becoming Army G3 in June 2007 on promotion to the rank of Colonel. On 2 September 2008, he became the 24th commander of 5 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group, based in Valcartier.

BGen Ménard holds a bachelor's degree in business administration and a master's degree in international management. He is also a graduate of the Land Force Command and Staff College at Fort Frontenac in Kingston, and the Canadian Forces Command and Staff College in Toronto.

In November 2009, BGen Menard deployed to Afghanistan as Commander of Joint Task Force Afghanistan.

This thread has brought a flashback from my CLC (remember when it was called that?) screaming back.  "How can you be trusted to lead men into battle when you can't even make all your little sock canoes look the same, Cpl Stevens?!?!"  If the biggest problem this guy has is how he puts his hat on his head, I think we're in pretty good shape.

...in the angle of a story - note both are from the Canadian Press (likely the same reporter, given the same placeline).  Maybe it wasn't the RSM talking to the General after the first story?  ;)

19 Nov 09:
The incoming commander of Canadian Forces in Afghanistan is preparing to change the focus of counter-insurgency efforts as he deals with the possibility NATO will once again enlarge the area under Canadian control.

Brig.-Gen. Daniel Menard said Thursday he plans to increase troop levels in the province's dangerous capital, marking a shift from existing strategy concerned largely with rural areas southwest of the city.

"We will be putting a lot of emphasis on Kandahar city," Menard said. "Kandahar city, for me, remains centre of gravity. It is certainly key terrain and it needs to be taken care of."

Menard's efforts in Kandahar city are expected to be bolstered by further additions of U.S. troops, who are likely to fall under Canadian command ....

22 Nov 09:
Canada's top general in Afghanistan says he plans to continue the model-village approach pioneered by his predecessor.

Brig. Gen. Daniel Menard says coalition forces are likely to provide Canada with enough additional resources to focus both on Kandahar city and rural areas of the province.

Menard took over last week from Brig. Gen. Jonathan Vance, who experimented with concentrating Canadian troops in districts southwest of the city.

Vance's strategy had met with much praise from Canada's NATO allies.

Menard announced last week he wanted to increase force levels in Kandahar city, raising concerns he would not have enough resources to sustain operations in rural Kandahar ....

Back