• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New fuel price estimates

Reaction score
Just saw on CBC Newsworld Business Report that some financial think-tank out of New York is now estimating that fuel could likely rise to $105 (US) a barrel!!  That's twice the cost as now!!  Can you imagine fuel at $1.78 a litre (in Alberta)??  Holy CR*P!!!  Time to think about a new economy car, car pooling, humping to work........

Cheers  :'(

FDL  :cdn:

And here's what Albertans think about the new fuel economy car......(guess they got tired of cow tipping.....) They might think twice if the costs go up to double.....

Oil sands have their production costs at <$10 barrel: this would be a HUGE boon to Alberta (and Nfld and BC, if they ever allow offshore exploration).

If they do double, I know where a good chunk of our new pay raise will go!! :'(  I have a 35 minute commute to and from work.

FDL  :cdn:

That's not cool. And I was thinking of buying a truck...

It's already too high!  I'm paying 98.9 here a litre in Nfld.  :eek:

Perhaps this will force us to seriously consider alternative fuel sources.  You know its only a matter of time till we hit the Hubbert Peak - where worldwide oil production peaks and begins to decline.

Good, time to smarten up and quick using fossil fuel as a source of energy...lets get into the next century and work on developing practical distrubution of the clewan energy soursces we have.

"of the clewan energy soursces we have."

I thought I had read all of Philip K. Dick's books by 1982.

"Perhaps this will force us to seriously consider alternative fuel sources.  You know its only a matter of time till we hit the Hubbert Peak - where worldwide oil production peaks and begins to decline."

That's not the way it works on Earth.  We have to use it all up fast before some other sumbitch does.

Tom

And people thought flying was expensive before. We burn about 1000 lbs per hour (roughly 500L) in the Sea King, just imagine what an airliner will burn.

Here in the Ottawa area there is active planning for trains for mass transit - which lives on teh back pages of the paper most of the year.

read this i got it e-mailed to me. i may work

Subject: GAS PRICES--THIS ONE'S NOT A JOKE

It is rumoured that we are going to hit close to a $1.42 a Litre by the
summer.
Want gasoline prices to come down?
We need to take some intelligent, united action.
Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE
SENSE than the don't buy gas on a certain day campaign that was going
around last April or May!
The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't
continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy gas.
It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
BUT, this is a plan that can really work.
Please read it and join with us!
We all know that we're being controlled by the oil companies.
Does everyone remember how they drove up the prices way past a
dollar and got the gas prices to where they wanted them, claiming
there was a shortage of oil?
Well, there isn't any shortage now, and the oil is more abundant than
it was 35 years ago when the price of a litre of gas was 29 cents!!!
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us
to think that the cost of a litre of gas is CHEAP at $0.78-$0.85, we
need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control
the marketplace....not sellers.
With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers
need to take action.
The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if
we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas!
And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.
How? Since we all rely on our cars, we cant just stop buying gas.
But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to
force a price war.
Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY
gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one),
PETRO CANADA and SHELL.
If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce
their prices.
If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to
follow suit.
But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of
PETRO CANADA and SHELL buyers.
Its really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this
point...keep reading and I`ll explain how simple it is to reach
millions of people!!
I am sending this note to at least thirty people.
If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and
those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and
so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of
people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!
If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends
each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!
If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED
MILLION PEOPLE!!!
Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.
How long would all that take?
If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one
day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be
contacted within the next 8 days!!!
Ill bet you I didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!
Acting together we can make a difference.
If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO
THE $0.64 OR LESS RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN.
THIS CAN REALLY WORK!!!!!!!

And people thought flying was expensive before. We burn about 1000 lbs per hour (roughly 500L) in the Sea King, just imagine what an airliner will burn.

Really? I thought the ground just repelled them, because they're so damned ugly  ;D

Cheers!

-Hutch- said:
read this i got it e-mailed to me. i may work

Subject: GAS PRICES--THIS ONE'S NOT A JOKE...

I call Bullsh*t!

Oil companies can manipulate their prices somewhat by controlling how much gasoline they produce and where they sell it, but they can't alter the basics of supply and demand: prices go up when people buy more of a good, and they go down when people buy less of a good. The "gas out" schemes that propose simply shunning one or two specific brands of gasoline won't work, however, because it's based on the misconception that an oil company's only outlet for gasoline is its own branded service stations. That isn't the case â ” gasoline is a fungible commodity, so if one oil company's product isn't being bought up in one particular market or outlet, it will simply sell its output to other companies:

Economics Prof. Pat Welch of St. Louis University says any boycott of "bad guy" gasoline in favor of "good guy" brands would have some unintended (and unhappy) results.

. . . Welch says the law of supply and demand is set in stone. "To meet the sudden demand," he says, "the good guys would have to buy gasoline wholesale from the bad guys, who are suddenly stuck with unwanted gasoline."

So motorists would end up . . . paying more for it, because they'd be buying it at fewer stations.

And yes, oil companies do buy and sell from one another. Mike Right of AAA Missouri says, "If a company has a station that can be served more economically by a competitor's refinery, they'll do it."

Right adds, "In some cases, gasoline retailers have no refinery at all. Some convenience-store chains sell a lot of gasoline â ” and buy it all from somebody else's refinery."

A boycott of a couple of brands wouldn't result in lower overall prices: Prices at all the non-boycotted outlets would rise due to the temporarily limited supply and increased demand, making the original prices look cheap by comparison. The shunned outlets could then make a killing by offering gasoline at its "normal" (i.e., pre-boycott) price or by selling off their output to the non-boycotted companies, who will need the extra supply to meet demand. The only person who really gets hurt in this proposed scheme is the service station operator, who has almost no control over the price of gasoline.
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/gasout.htm

~RoKo~ said:
Really? I thought the ground just repelled them, because they're so damned ugly   ;D

Cheers!

No shit, then why doesn't your mo.......ah hell, I'm not going to say it, I'm a gentleman!  ;D

there is a few places in edmonton where its cheaper, hughes and apollo, if you are in uniform they almost always give a 3-4 cent discount

JESUS, you guys are sure paying alot for Gas! here in Ottawa we are paying a little over 85 cents/litre! ;D

Gas prices hit $1.01 per litre today in Vancouver. I think its the Petro Canada station on Renfrew / hastings....

just to add to my post, apollo at 118 and 41st is at 85.9 where as hughes at 118 and 66st is 89.9 but the uniform...

edit
put the right street addy in

Back