• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New flying suits & jackets going on trial

Ping Monkey

Reaction score
Just heard that starting this month, a select few persons in 17 Wing Winnipeg, 15 Wing Moose Jaw, and 3CFFTS Southport will be trialling a new version of the flying suit and jacket.

Looks like the design is trying to bring us in line with the style currently worn by our US/UK/Aussie/NZ colleagues.

Nothing mentioned about a new two-piece ensemble yet.

Classy...

Just out of curiosity, if something like this gets approved, how often would it take to work it's way into the system? And also, is there a shortage of or dissatisfaction with the current flight suits?

All information on the Air Force Clothing & Equipment - Millennium Standard (CEMS) Project can be found at the link below.  Use the "About The Project" link on the left for timelines and such.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/cems/index_e.htm

funny thing is.... the artwork says NOV 06 and we are now FEB 08.
So someone has been plodding around 14 months trying to make this work... and we're only trialing something that other airforces are already wearing?..... Unbelievable!

geo said:
funny thing is.... the artwork says NOV 06 and we are now FEB 08.
So someone has been plodding around 14 months trying to make this work... and we're only trialing something that other airforces are already wearing?..... Unbelievable!

Yes - unbelievable indeed.  If this was the Army's CTS team it would take at least 4 years to get that far along ;)

DAP, I bet you're still waiting for your Cadpat raingear  ;)

This trial is in it's final phase.

Current "interim" flying suits are no longer on contract and only enough to suffice for a couple of years were bought - so this is going to happen.

Trials are also being done at 19 Wing Comox - I believe the trial is AF wide.

Just so we can also squash the rumours - this flying suit is not one that is in current stock anywhere in the world - so we are not rehashing someone else's design. 

The only thing I don't like is the rank placement (has been discussed at other sites).  The way it's sitting right now is slapping the slip-on on the chest.  Either keep it on the shoulder, throw it on the name tag, or get a different design to put on the chest.  The slip-on is just too darned big!

Zoomie said:
Just so we can also squash the rumours - this flying suit is not one that is in current stock anywhere in the world - so we are not rehashing someone else's design. 

As in; no other country is stupid enough to put pen pockets on their shins!

Aden_Gatling said:

The whole reason they were moved off the arm was because of the high probablility  of someone's arm getting ripped up because of pens getting caught on the lip of the cockpit during ejection.  This was especially likepy in the older seats with a "curtain" system or the handles on the sides of the seat as oposed to the middle.

(Ah, how the young'uns forget.)

Pen pockets in the shins aren't that bad if you're not crammed in the seat.

Aden_Gatling said:

???

You may find when you transition from a learning environment to an operational environment that your shin is one of the few places you still have unrestricted access to for stowage of writing implements. 

G2G

Good2Golf said:
???

You may find when you transition from a learning environment to an operational environment that your shin is one of the few places you still have unrestricted access to for stowage of writing implements.   

G2G

......And not only in aircraft.

Good2Golf said:
???

G2G

I seriously doubt it!  I find it a huge PITA; on my kneeboard (for example) is *far* more convenient.  Moreover, yesterday I fogot to stuff my pens into my jacket (there's no way to secure them, so you just have to hope one doesn't drop)  and it took me 10 minutes to get one working after my walkaround.  I've never heard anyone complain about them on their sleeves (even forearm would work much better).

and where they are now, 1500 hours later, still works perfect for me.

Kneeboards?  Lol...does anyone still use those?  I haven't touched mine since MJ.  And have yet to see ANYONE at the sqn use one either.

75% of the time, I'm flying with a jacket, so unless the jacket has pen holders in the sleeves too, I see no purpose in having pens on the sleeves of the suits either.

Strike said:
The whole reason they were moved off the arm was because of the high probablility  of someone's arm getting ripped up because of pens getting caught on the lip of the cockpit during ejection.  This was especially likepy in the older seats with a "curtain" system or the handles on the sides of the seat as oposed to the middle.

(Ah, how the young'uns forget.)
Has that ever happened?  It that even physically possible on any airframe we have?

Pen pockets in the shins aren't that bad if you're not crammed in the seat.
Bunny pants + ejection seat a/c = crammed in the seat.

CDN Aviator said:
and where they are now, 1500 hours later, still works perfect for me.
And when was the last time you did a walkaround at -22 (or -30 for that matter)?

SF2 said:
Kneeboards?  Lol...does anyone still use those?  I haven't touched mine since MJ.  And have yet to see ANYONE at the sqn use one either.

75% of the time, I'm flying with a jacket, so unless the jacket has pen holders in the sleeves too, I see no purpose in having pens on the sleeves of the suits either.
And I have pet pockets on both shins of both my flightsuit and my bunny pants: I fail to see how that is any better (at least in that regard).

I don't mean to give the impression that it's keeping me up at night, it's just that I find it silly to use design that seems functional, but has proven on more than one occasion (as in me yesterday a little before I wrote that post) to be worse than useless!

Aden_Gatling said:
And when was the last time you did a walkaround at -22 (or -30 for that matter)?

Feb 2005 for my checkride on the CT-142 in Winnipeg. For the record it was alot colder that -22 so i've BTDT

Aden_Gatling said:
...I don't mean to give the impression that it's keeping me up at night, it's just that I find it silly to use design that seems functional, but has proven on more than one occasion (as in me yesterday a little before I wrote that post) to be worse than useless!

What's worse than useless?  Dangerous?  

Ask ArmyVern how to fill out a UCR then, and get the leg pen holder taken off.  In fact, Cc: the Director of Flight Safety while you're at it...   ::)

Tha fact that you're implying a Nation is stupid if it allows its military to design equipment to be flexibly tailored to a number of operational communities speak wonders.

G2G

This is going nowhere: it's not a safety concern, but a pen pocket that, if one uses it, renders the pen useless IS worse than useless, in my book.  That's all.

Out.

Back