• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs 🤣

I can understand the military trying to get more recruits by appealing to a wider section of the public, hence the change in regs for hair, piercings, tatoos,etc. What I don't agree with is any changes to uniform regs, uniforms are supposed to be just that - UNIFORM (the same for everyone), but what do I know?:rolleyes:

I can understand the military trying to get more recruits by appealing to a wider section of the public, hence the change in regs for hair, piercings, tatoos,etc. What I don't agree with is any changes to uniform regs, uniforms are supposed to be just that - UNIFORM (the same for everyone), but what do I know?:rolleyes:
What changes are you referring to?

I wasn't referring to any specific change, as I'm not familiar with them. Just saying I would be opposed to changing dress regs for people to look more individual or different from everyone else. Different coloured hair as well as piercings, etc. should be enough for a person to express their individuality in the military.
The reason (or at least on of the reasons) everyone had to follow the same grooming standards (and look similar), was that everyone was to be part of a whole (or at least that's how I saw it).

Which is why we now actually have uniform dress instructions instead of one for men, one for women, one for First Nations, one for practicing Muslims, one for practicing Norse Pagens, one for practicing Sikhs, etc etc. Trying to correct someone before was like going through a hundred layer flow chart.

I wasn't referring to any specific change, as I'm not familiar with them. Just saying I would be opposed to changing dress regs for people to look more individual or different from everyone else. Different coloured hair as well as piercings, etc. should be enough for a person to express their individuality in the military.
The reason (or at least on of the reasons) everyone had to follow the same grooming standards (and look similar), was that everyone was to be part of a whole (or at least that's how I saw it).
As far as the uniforms themselves go, there wasn't any change. There has always been some level of personal choice in some of the uniforms. For example, when I was a Pte in Cold Lake, I would wear different combinations of the allowed items(beret/wedge, Canex jacket/flight jacket/sweater, short sleeve shirt/postman blue shirt, etc.) to work every other day.

How is everyone else adapting to the new regs?

So far, I've only seen one person with brightly coloured hair (pink) and it appears she's letting it fade out. I expect the time and money required to maintain fancy colours is a disincentive.

I'm getting used to most of the changes and they mostly don't draw my attention anymore. But there are two things that bug me more and more. And I'm seeing them a lot.
- Long, puffy beards
- Loose, unsecured long hair in combats

Just like fingernails on a blackboard to me. Maybe I'm just a dinosaur?

I still notice grey shoes and trousers that don't appear to have ever met an iron. And don't get me started on people who can't get their pants hemmed at the correct length....

Well, I've found a brand of dye that seems to hold better than the stuff I first went with; lasted a good 9 weeks before I felt the need to re-dye. Nice vivid purple. May switch up colours when that tube is expended.

Well, I've found a brand of dye that seems to hold better than the stuff I first went with; lasted a good 9 weeks before I felt the need to re-dye. Nice vivid purple. May switch up colours when that tube is expended.
Are you talking about dying your hair?

Yes; that's how I've adapted to the new regs.
When it came out I remember asking you if you pulled the trigger on it (your purple hair) and I believed you said no. Nice to see that you came around. Will you remain purple or try something different?

When it came out I remember asking you if you pulled the trigger on it (your purple hair) and I believed you said no. Nice to see that you came around. Will you remain purple or try something different?

Nope, been some shade of purple since day 1. (Here's the exchange in question). Althought admittedly with the stuff I was using pre-xmas, it faded to a pinkish fairly quickly.

Might throw some red or orange or blue into the rotation, but I think purple will likely remain the main colour.

I showed the dress regs to the Domestic Sergeant Major when they came out.

She, probably the most liberal thinking people I know, said I'd be sleeping on the couch if I deviated at all from the dress standards I have exhibited for most of our marriage.

Just because the CAF says you can doesn't mean others will too I guess 😞

How is everyone else adapting to the new regs?

So far, I've only seen one person with brightly coloured hair (pink) and it appears she's letting it fade out. I expect the time and money required to maintain fancy colours is a disincentive.

I'm getting used to most of the changes and they mostly don't draw my attention anymore. But there are two things that bug me more and more. And I'm seeing them a lot.
- Long, puffy beards
- Loose, unsecured long hair in combats

Just like fingernails on a blackboard to me. Maybe I'm just a dinosaur?

I still notice grey shoes and trousers that don't appear to have ever met an iron. And don't get me started on people who can't get their pants hemmed at the correct length....
I was at a pub night last night with retired shipmates and one still serving. Didn’t know the latter personally, but with hair halfway down his neck and over his ears, easy to mistake for the former. The retirees had shorter hair or none.

He had a long face to go with his hair ( this being Esquimalt and post PLD announcement yesterday ) so one of us paid for his wings.

Tried to picture him in uniform with headdress and what a bag-o-shite he’d look.

She, probably the most liberal thinking people I know, said I'd be sleeping on the couch if I deviated at all from the dress standards I have exhibited for most of our marriage.

Oh yeah totally. There's only two people whose opinions I really give a hoot about w.r.t. my hair; mine and my wife's. Fortunately, she loves it too.

Nope, been some shade of purple since day 1. (Here's the exchange in question). Althought admittedly with the stuff I was using pre-xmas, it faded to a pinkish fairly quickly.

Might throw some red or orange or blue into the rotation, but I think purple will likely remain the main colour.
I apologize I thought you initially said no.

You should be bold and dye your hair multiple colours.

Some people look sloven, others like slobs IMO. If they're happy with it then that's wonderful.

I just wish SNCOs and WO's would stop bitching about it during MJUL training and briefs.
They are the type of people who would hang out at Tim's on/near base just to yell at troops in the parking lot.

I had an air force MWO while posted to Gagetown that used to come to the office and brag about jacking up army guys in the Tim's parking lot...

Mine said no to the skirt.

Back