• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs 🤣

I'll counter your QR & O with the applic parts of the SAM if you don't mind.

Counter the QR&Os? That's holy script. You can't counter the Word.
I've never heard this SAM thing you speak of, it sounds like blasphemy though.

Next you're going to say you didn't pack a boot polish kit in that fancy survival kit of yours. I'm literally shaking rn.

I WAS one of those types who spent their own money, often:

I bought the Regt buckle for the garrison dress...only to then have the belts removed and then later the whole uniform;
I bought my rank badges for the green/tan shirt when I was in the Reserves;
I bought a ranger blanket, because the CAF didn't provide but the CANEX sure sold them;
I bought the american rain jacket for the field because ours sucked serious ass;
I bought Matterhorn and jungle boots, and my own GORTEX socks before they were issued to everyone who goes to the field;
I bought my own kit for my survival kit for the CRAPVEST for IMPACT at about $200 before the CAF could provide LPSVs (that they still fucked up);
I and many others paid for decent desert boots off Shoeme.ca etc for deployments because the steel toe cripplers would get people captured or killed in a E & E situation.
I bought my own multi-colour/lens flashlight, because the issued one is shit and white only.

I could list about 50-75 other things I know I've bought that should have been provided.

I will not pay to have a SS or LS DEU shit tailored. Ever. yes, it looks like a light blue single-person tent out of the package. I've paid for enough stuff in my 33 years...I'm done.

Those of you who are shitting on anyone like me ...go shit on your superiors and get them to change the DEU system and/or add funding for tailoring. It's not my fault, so my "net income" isn't the fucking solution.

Honest to fuck...shitting on members for crappy items the system issues that they won't pay for themselves. Un-fucking-belieable. :rolleyes:

I have bought tons of my own kit and I'm a storesman. I've bought boots, rucksack, helmet liner, bedding (ship board), rifle sling, work gloves, head lamps, suspenders, socks... I've also paid for tailoring... Its just quicker to go outside the dockyard I find.

I think we should get out of clothing all together, beyond your initial issue. After that its all sold at CANEX at your expense, no more freebees. Operational equipment being the exception. When people have to pay cash to replace kit watch how fast they start to take care of it and keep in shape to make it fit.

I have bought tons of my own kit and I'm a storesman. I've bought boots, rucksack, helmet liner, bedding (ship board), rifle sling, work gloves, head lamps, suspenders, socks... I've also paid for tailoring... Its just quicker to go outside the dockyard I find.
I was a major gear queer back in the day, but one shouldn’t need to supplement (or replace) CAF issue items. The fact that so much of the CAF issued gear stunk, and despite writing a bunch of documentation on it, very little ever appeared to have made it to DLR, and then DLR often came back with excuses or something totally different than what was needed/requested.
Tease the Soldier (Clothe the Soldier) was yet another debacle in a long line of train wrecks.

I think we should get out of clothing all together, beyond your initial issue. After that its all sold at CANEX at your expense, no more freebees. Operational equipment being the exception. When people have to pay cash to replace kit watch how fast they start to take care of it and keep in shape to make it fit.
That is the way the US Mil does it.
*certain positions get additional allocations.

Yeah... can't say that I'm a big fan of this whole "screw over literally every CAF member" plan. If the CAF wants to get out of paying for uniforms, then they need to stop mandating them.

Yeah... can't say that I'm a big fan of this whole "screw over literally every CAF member" plan. If the CAF wants to get out of paying for uniforms, then they need to stop mandating them.
Or pay you more to account for added costs. 😉

I get a bunch of subsidies from my current employer on everything from gear to automobiles.

For stuff like gloves, safety vests, ear defenders, batteries, flashlights, hardhats, safety glasses, etc. It's all free. They do track what you're using so if you go to work and steal a bunch of stuff, expect to get fired/charged.

When you got the allowance (34.00 per month), folks would just make do as long as possible and no, not many would do the extra PT to keep from getting a "Chief". The worst that I saw was when the white pants came out for a reason and the shirt was various shades of grey and the pants a brilliant white.
Oh and when the reservist came to the coasts for summer training, you'd latch onto one who was close to your size so that they could exchange (the reservists received free exchanges at the time) your crappy looking shirts, pants and shoes for new ones.

The points system replaced the allowance because according to a SYO buddy of mine there was DEU clothing sitting on the shelves not getting used. The quality of the garments has certainly not improved over the years.
It used to cost like 200 dollars for a complete new uniform. Guys didn't save their allowance and couldn't afford a new uniform out of a standard pay check. As a result, they just squeezed their fat asses into the uniform they were issued at basic.

After 57 pages of this discussion, 2 things have become apparent. The first is that the discussion has been about the appearance of professionalism on the one side vs whether or not some is professional. The appearance side has given a lot of examples of people who look unprofessional to the majority of people while the other side has countered with examples of people who look unprofessional but are actually professional in their work. Unfortunately, neither side seems to be making much headway because they aren't talking about the same things. The second is that we have seen a lot of different opinions on what constitutes professional attire. I think context matters a lot. The question at hand is whether the military should lean to the conservative side of the equation like finance, traditional business or the more like the relatively lax world of tech?

Reactions: QV
Imagine a world in which people in some occupations are expected to pay for some things on their own...

Imagine a world in which that's universally considered an unreasonable expectation.

Employment expenses should be 100% on the employer. The fact that this isn't the case everywhere is simply an assault on the working class perpetrated by the rich.

It used to cost like 200 dollars for a complete new uniform. Guys didn't save their allowance and couldn't afford a new uniform out of a standard pay check. As a result, they just squeezed their fat asses into the uniform they were issued at basic.
Kitting an officer out for my Navy League Corp is about $700 which we have to pay out of the Branch funds, all of us are wearing hand me downs until they get to ratty. The crap Logistik Corp produces is unbelievable. That's part of the issue, you nee to break that monopoly.

Kitting an officer out for my Navy League Corp is about $700 which we have to pay out of the Branch funds, all of us are wearing hand me downs until they get to ratty. The crap Logistik Corp produces is unbelievable. That's part of the issue, you nee to break that monopoly.
Someone can correct me in my historical understanding, but weren't the old CF Greens and subsequent DEU supposed to be a cost saving measure? One uniform, modular for everything from office attire and parades, all while being of cheaper material than patrols or other uniforms?

Somehow we ended up with this poorly fitting, poorly made, and poorly stocked system that serves no one but Logistik...

I bought mess kit. I bought patrols. I didn’t have to buy either.

Field wise I’ve been buying gear and things for 25 years. Things to make my life easier and more comfortable and things I can use civy side if needed. But I chose to do that. Troops do it all the time and will continue to do that.

In the last big power outage we had here I was happy I could make coffee with my jetboil, use my headlamp and device power packs. I’ve used my mucklucks in the yard and my NEOs as well in January.

Troops buying things won’t end any time soon if they can find better than what they are given. And there will always be something better than what we are provided.

We should use a complicated points system instead. Does anyone know a tailor who works for socks? Or potentially wedges? I may even be able to spring for a fur hat.

Imagine a world in which that's universally considered an unreasonable expectation.

Employment expenses should be 100% on the employer. The fact that this isn't the case everywhere is simply an assault on the working class perpetrated by the rich.
That's it. It's all a plan by the WEF and Bilderberg Group.

Back