• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New DEU ?!

startbutton said:
As a navy guy how do feel about the professional look of the baseball cap all the navy pers seem to wearing even when not on ship?
From this Navy guy.  I wear the ball cap when I must.  I love going to sea as the moment we slip my hat goes in my locker never to be seen until we are back alongside.  Personally I'm not a hat kind of guy and only wear one because I have to.  As operational dress it's OK and practical but not as professional looking.  Operational dress should be practical vs professional if that is the standard you wish to gauge my opinion by.  When I'm off the ship, I wear my beret instead of the ball cap unlike most others.  And seeing as my present ship is at ISI, I have never worn my new ball cap.

For the RCN, bring back the 8 button Jacket for Officers, 6 for the C&PO's, Peak Caps for Officers and CPOs
wingtip collars circa 1910 as well

WWII era Square rig made of the original heavy dark blue serge for the dress uniform (if not bell bottoms than a wide cut on the leg) so it can be rolled up and stored rather than hang on a coat hanger in a bag (Post war Square Rig was notorious for that)

Working Dress: Current NCD's for all with option of Beret or Ball Cap depending on the occasion

Oh and change the rank of Naval Cadet to Midshipman

I was actually quite happy with the army uniform, but i'm all for the pips and crowns, maybe red tabs.
They should bring back the RCAF Officer Ranks as well.

Get Nautical said:
They should bring back the RCAF Officer Ranks as well.

Why not all pre-unification RCAF ranks??

Psttttt - it IS the RCAF again...so todays ranks are actual "RCAF" ranks technically  ;)

Eye In The Sky said:
Why not all pre-unification RCAF ranks??
Psttttt - it IS the RCAF again...so todays ranks are actual "RCAF" ranks technically  ;)

Yes your right, pre unification Officer and NCM RCAF ranks.

and the Black Watch should become a regular force unit once again :warstory:

Get Nautical said:
Yes your right, pre unification Officer and NCM RCAF ranks.

No thanks. I like "Warrant Officer" and have no desire to be a "Flight Sergeant".

jollyjacktar said:
Wasn't there a rumor some time ago of the blue coloured Patrol dress uniform making a comeback?  I'm sure there are those Armoured folks out there who crave some chain mail on their shoulders...  ;)

We still have it and wear it. Typically, I wear my DEU once a year, at the Men's Christmas Dinner. Any other time they would be appropriate, I wear Patrols.

recceguy said:
We still have it and wear it. Typically, I wear my DEU once a year, at the Men's Christmas Dinner. Any other time they would be appropriate, I wear Patrols.
There you go that answers my question.  They're better looking I think but then I'm old fashioned, fashion wise.

The good idea fairy is out and about isn't it?  :rage:

It seems we can replace dress uniforms almost on a whim, but to get a decent field rain suit took over ten years.

:2c:

jollyjacktar said:
There you go that answers my question.  They're better looking I think but then I'm old fashioned, fashion wise.

They are chick magnets 8)

Jim Seggie said:
The good idea fairy is out and about isn't it?  :rage:

It seems we can replace dress uniforms almost on a whim, but to get a decent field rain suit took over ten years.

:2c:
Who're you call'n a fairy?  :D

startbutton said:
As a navy guy how do feel about the professional look of the baseball cap all the navy pers seem to wearing even when not on ship?

I don't have a problem with ball caps with NCDs.  It's a practical piece of kit and now that they are standardized across the Fleet, they actually look pretty good, provided they are clean and well kept.  The fact that it has the ship's name on it is, alas, the closest I fear we will ever get to cap tallies again.

For the record, I do not have an issue with berets in general.  I just don't think that should be worn with service dress, particularly by sailors.  There is a time and place for everything.  I also have to admit that I'm a little disappointed that the Army has gone with berets only, but I suppose that's their prerogative.  However, could folks at least not wear a clean, good-looking one on parade, instead of the same grease-stained, faded and threadbare one they wear with combats?

Time to fix many of the absurd, antiquated notions in the dress manual.

(1)  If the Navy wishes to wear forage caps, then forage caps for all - abolish the bowler for women.

(2)  If the world does not end when women wear a single stud in each ear, the world will similarly not end if we permit men the same.

(3)  Claiming "history" as the reason for sailors (not at sea), pioneers and EME technicians to wear beards is absurd.  Either all may wear a beard (safety situation dependent) or none.

Ummm, We haven't had Pioneers in the Infantry since 2000ish. Remember when we had a Combat Support company? I guess not??

Pioneer platoon, We are best of all!
Were all made of guts and ALCOHOL!!

Tow Tripod said:
Ummm, We haven't had Pioneers in the Infantry since 2000ish. Remember when we had a Combat Support company? I guess not??

Pioneer platoon, We are best of all!
Were all made of guts and ALCOHOL!!

Dress regs still (as I recall) refer to pioneers.  (That they are not up to date is another issue...)

Since when are EME techs allowed to grow beards as part of history? Never heard that one, and as for the navy the ones I know say they can only grow a beard  while posted to a ship and with COs permission.

dapaterson said:
Time to fix many of the absurd, antiquated notions in the dress manual.
(1)  If the Navy wishes to wear forage caps, then forage caps for all - abolish the bowler for women.
me.
(2)  If the world does not end when women wear a single stud in each ear, the world will similarly not end if we permit men the same
(3)  Claiming "history" as the reason for sailors (not at sea), pioneers and EME technicians to wear beards is absurd.  Either all may wear a beard (safety situation dependent) or none.

1. I like the tri-corn like hats the women wear, certainly looks better than the bowlers worn in the 80s

2. Earrings at one point were allowed in the RN
"The Seaman’s practice of wearing earrings dates from the reign of Queen Elizabeth I (1558-1603), not so much in loyalty to the queen as to satisfy a fisherman’s old superstition that pierced ears would improve their eyesight and make them more lively. The occasional earring, of plain yellow gold, is still seen in the Royal Navy, worn usually on the left ear lobe only." most likely apply to the 17th and 18th Century
http://www.thedearsurprise.com/?p=1888
somewhere along the line pearls became the navy tradition for females or the usual gold studs.

3. Not everyone can grow facial hair, and i'm certain the all or none policy has never applied, nor should it to beards in the navy. Maybe everyone should shave there head bald because a few are bald or have a receding hairline.

startbutton said:
and as for the navy the ones I know say they can only grow a beard  while posted to a ship and with COs permission.

Navy use to be allowed to grow beards and during beard growing competitions, (Army and Airforce as well) mind you this was at sea, to be clean shaven or a full beard (for Navy only) prior to going ashore with the Coxn standing at the brow. Up until a few years ago, 2009? thats when they switched to SCBA which required a full seal, Chemox you could get away with it. so now its medical chit or shore postings and mustache growing competitions at sea to see who has the best battlestache. The tradition died a little bit more that day. :(

A tidbit to add on while I was searching for the earings bit.
"In the United States Navy officers and men coming aboard face aft and salute their ensign whereas we salute the ship (straight ahead, looking athwartship)."(At right angles to the centre line of the ship)
http://www.hmsrichmond.org/avast/customs.htm

Might as well just give the Army forage caps again. Then we can all look like the GGH(F)Gs  ;)

Don't get me started on BOOTS, CSA GRADE 1, SAFETY, ANKLE, BLACK... I do not enjoy them, the old style ankle (parade) boot was much superior. Some will argue that the current are more comfortable, blah, blah, blah; they are not anymore comfortable than the old pattern. Are other units using the current (new) monstrosities as parade boots? I think I still wore the old ones too, but then again, I don't remember the last time I wore a full dress uniform.

Gigantic professional peeve of mine: if your safety standards reference CSA or NFPA for the use of SA/SCBA and/or full/half mask respirators (cartridge/canister type) then you are mandated BY LAW to be clean shaven at all times that you may be required to don this equipment.

Tradition be damned when it comes to aspects of health and safety, sorry kids. I know it doesn't always make sense or look cool, but it's there, like it or lump it.

Absurdity is trying to argue against the above...and believe me, I have been on the winning side of the argument for over ten years now.

Back