• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New DEU ?!

WLSC

Reaction score
Hi every one, I heard a bizare rumour yesterday for the desiner word in Montréal.  The army ask for a new DEU with 2 different one.  Officers and noncom !!  How different ?  Dont know.  Please, tell me it's a rumour.  We have better thing to do than this.

I would not mind a better looking uniform, but I can think of many better places in which to invest the money and effort.

The good news is that our "what is Canada buying" threads have not picked up any hint on Merx (or, what used to be called Merx):That doesn't mean there is nothing simmering in the background still fighting its way toward approval, but it does suggest a change is not immanent. 

MCG said:
I would not mind a better looking uniform, but I can think of many better places in which to invest the money and effort.

The good news is that our "what is Canada buying" threads have not picked up any hint on Merx (or, what used to be called Merx):That doesn't mean there is nothing simmering in the background still fighting its way toward approval, but it does suggest a change is not immanent.

Well, if they bring back our old tan monstrosities or something akin to them ... this girl is going Navy.

ArmyVern said:
Well, if they bring back our old tan monstrosities or something akin to them ... this girl is going Navy.

Such would be the natural order of things.  ;D

In all seriousness though, I have heard discussion of changes to buttons and bows, but nothing of a full re-design of the actual uniform.

Wasn't there a rumor some time ago of the blue coloured Patrol dress uniform making a comeback?  I'm sure there are those Armoured folks out there who crave some chain mail on their shoulders...  ;)

Pusser said:
Such would be the natural order of things.  ;D

In all seriousness though, I have heard discussion of changes to buttons and bows, but nothing of a full re-design of the actual uniform.

I too have heard movement on the buttons and bows front ... such would seem to be the natural progression of name changes.

I think though, that it is extremely important that the RCN get back their little elephant slipper hats before the Army changes a thing.  ;)

jollyjacktar said:
Wasn't there a rumor some time ago of the blue coloured Patrol dress uniform making a comeback?  I'm sure there are those Armoured folks out there who crave some chain mail on their shoulders...  ;)

Yeah, I live with one of those Armoured guys; he too is retarded and craves frontiersman status.

ArmyVern said:
I too have heard movement on the buttons and bows front ... such would seem to be the natural progression of name changes.

I think though, that it is extremely important that the RCN get back their little elephant slipper hats before the Army changes a thing.  ;)

Actually, I would say they're more like elephant sneakers. ;)  And I'm all for it!  I'd love to see our sailors in sailor suits (the girls love them - this, I know  :nod:)

ArmyVern said:
I hope not.  If we are going to missplace our efforts into getting a new uniform, then it should resultin in something comparable to the USMC Service Uniform and the British Army Service Dress.

Pusser said:
With the arrival of the executive curl and name changes for RCAF, RCN and the Canadian Army, we've opened the box on disscussions of turning back the clock on just about anything purely aesthetic.  There are discussion happening about going back to "traditional" army uniforms, reverting to pre-unification rank structures, re-introducing pips & crowns, re-naming various Army corps/branches, etc, etc, etc.

Hopefully, most of these ideas stop as nothing more than discussions.  We really don't need to waste the effort - our finincial and human resources can be put to better use (especially now when funding is being compressed and Civ & PRes manpower is being reduced).

Pusser, I agree.  I don't like looking like an Officer (no offense), and peak caps should only be for Chiefs and Officers.  Have had some ratings who would prefer the beret over a peak cap as there is no way bell bottoms are ever coming back.

MGC agree even further.  We are flat assed broke and can't afford foolishness on fluff and feathers at this time.

ArmyVern said:

If the Navy want elephant slippers they can take them form the cold, dead hands of the Highlanders.  :piper:

jollyjacktar said:

I've heard a similar rumour that my regiment might be bringing back our blue jackets (aking to what the cadets wear), but it is just a rumour. We are trying to bring back a better TOS instead of the current beretmorals that are around, but that plan seems to have hit a snag.

jollyjacktar said:
Pusser, I agree.  I don't like looking like an Officer (no offense), and peak caps should only be for Chiefs and Officers.  Have had some ratings who would prefer the beret over a peak cap as there is no way bell bottoms are ever coming back.

MGC agree even further.  We are flat assed broke and can't afford foolishness on fluff and feathers at this time.

Sorry, I can't agree on the beret thing.  For the Navy at least, I think the beret has a place on working rigs, but no place at all in service dress.  It's far too informal and in my view, unprofessional.  I cringe whenever I see naval folks in berets in any form of service dress.  Notwithstanding that the regulations allow it, I'm against it and refuse to follow suit.  When I fly on TD, I find a way to pack my peaked cap.  The same thing goes for the toque - a fantastic piece of operational kit, but one with no place in service dress.  I have my new Yukon cap and it's wonderful!

When I'm talking about sailor suits, I mean the whole thing - bell-bottoms (more like flared - even the RN has dropped bell-bottoms), gunshirts and jumpers with collars.  I agree that it's unlikely we'll ever see that again, but then again, if you'd told me three years ago that the executive curl and RCN would return, I would have thought you crazy then too.

The cost of these changes is not as much as one would think sometimes.  Pips and crowns for the Army would actually save money.  The cost of new rank badges upon promotion would be limited to a new pin that the officer could put on his uniform him/herself.  This is considerably less expensive than the current practice of having to replace the braid on the cuff (sleeve requires a tailor to take it apart, remove old braid, sewn on new braid and then put sleeve back together).

Pusser said:
Sorry, I can't agree on the beret thing.  For the Navy at least, I think the beret has a place on working rigs, but no place at all in service dress.  It's far too informal and in my view, unprofessional.  I cringe whenever I see naval folks in berets in any form of service dress.  Notwithstanding that the regulations allow it, I'm against it and refuse to follow suit. 
Well you're an Officer, you need a peak cap and are welcome to it.  I hate mine with a passion and only wear it full rigged if I can help it.  Otherwise it's beret, more practical and comfortable.  The peak cap gives me a roaring headache if I wear it too long.  The only good thing I'll say about it is it's only 30 points to replace.
Pusser said:
When I'm talking about sailor suits, I mean the whole thing - bell-bottoms (more like flared - even the RN has dropped bell-bottoms), gunshirts and jumpers with collars.  I agree that it's unlikely we'll ever see that again, but then again, if you'd told me three years ago that the executive curl and RCN would return, I would have thought you crazy then too.
That's what I was talking about as well.  I have made my views well known in other threads of wishing for the square rig again, there are others like me out there but not enough to make a difference.  I don't like dressing like an officer, the DEU looks great for you guys and should be for you guys and Chiefs.  But it is what it is and I have to wear what the regulations tell me, nothing says I have to like it. 

Sorry, I can't agree on the beret thing.  For the Navy at least, I think the beret has a place on working rigs, but no place at all in service dress.  It's far too informal and in my view, unprofessional.  I cringe whenever I see naval folks in berets in any form of service dress.  Notwithstanding that the regulations allow it, I'm against it and refuse to follow suit.  When I fly on TD, I find a way to pack my peaked cap.  The same thing goes for the toque - a fantastic piece of operational kit, but one with no place in service dress.  I have my new Yukon cap and it's wonderful!

The cost of these changes is not as much as one would think sometimes.  Pips and crowns for the Army would actually save money.  The cost of new rank badges upon promotion would be limited to a new pin that the officer could put on his uniform him/herself.  This is considerably less expensive than the current practice of having to replace the braid on the cuff (sleeve requires a tailor to take it apart, remove old braid, sewn on new braid and then put sleeve back together).
[/quote]

As a navy guy how do feel about the professional look of the baseball cap all the navy pers seem to wearing even when not on ship?

startbutton said:
As a navy guy how do feel about the professional look of the baseball cap all the navy pers seem to wearing even when not on ship?

I think it's great.  There is no reason why I should have to change my head dress just to go from the ship to ashore.  It's part of our operational dress and I think it looks professional.  Navy pers 'seem to be wearing even when not on ship' because they are, it's authorized, and it's practical.

Snakedoc said:
I think it's great.  There is no reason why I should have to change my head dress just to go from the ship to ashore.  It's part of our operational dress and I think it looks professional.  Navy pers 'seem to be wearing even when not on ship' because they are, it's authorized, and it's practical.

Realize that it`s allowed.

His query was to someone who thought the berets looked unprofessional. Ergo the question to that pers as to whether he thought the ballcaps looked unprofessional as well.

I`m interested in his answer.

What is authorized and what `looks professional`may not, necessarily, be the same thing in a whole lot of people`s eyes (mine too, the ballcaps do not even hint at professional looking for me).

Back