• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Crown

I haven't seen the actual crown (if it is true there is one in the Senate hallway), but from the drawing, I took it that the "snowflake" at the top actually is shaped like the background "snowflake" of the Order of Canada medal.

There is already a heraldic Canadian "crown", the snowflake diadem. Doesn't exist IRL, only depicted on certain medals. Why not just add a couple or arches on top of it with a compass point star (North Star), and call it the Canadian Crown? Not saying we need one, but could be used to show the monarch as the King of Canada on coins and medals. Personally, I'd stick with St. Edwards crown since it's the one used in coronations. BTW, there is no actual Tutor crown, it was destroyed by Cromwell in the English Civil War IIRC.

Well I learned something today about Tutor crown. Thanks for teaching me

For God sake it's TuDor. It's of Welsh origin and is a derivative of Theodore.

The original was destroyed by Cromwell in 1649, but, a replica was made in 2012 and is housed at Hampton Court Palace.

It came to prominence in heraldry around 1902 with the Coronation of Edward VII because it was one of the original 3 crowns of the United Kingdom of Great Britain. The "Tria Juncta in Uno" thing. It was used as a way to thumb up the nose at Irish/Scottish/Welsh Republicanism during a particularly turbulent time in British history. It holds actual significance in the history of the monarchy and the Commonwealth.

The new 'Canadian" abomination is akin to having my 5 year old proclaiming herself Queen because she got one at Burger King:

A paper crown that makes people feel better about themselves that holds no sway, prominence, or history.

Last edited:
For God sake it's TuDor. It's of Welsh origin and is a derivative of Theodore.

The original was destroyed by Cromwell in 1649, but, a replica was made in 2012 and is housed at Hampton Court Palace.

It came to prominence in heraldry around 1902 with the Coronation of Edward VII because it was one of the original 3 crowns of the United Kingdom of Great Britain. The "Tria Juncta in Uno" thing. It was used as a way to thumb up the nose at Irish/Scottish/Welsh Republicanism during a particularly turbulent time in British history. It holds actual significance in the history of the monarchy and the Commonwealth.

The new 'Canadian" abomination is akin to having my 5 year old proclaiming herself Queen because she got a one at Burger King:

A paper crown that makes people feel better about themselves that holds no sway, prominence, or history.
I actually like the idea of a Canadian crown: feels like the sort of thing that should have been created either in 1867 or at one of several inflection points after that (centennial, repatriation, when monarchs started showing up in parliaments other than Westminster...).

Riffing on the snowflake diadem would have been interesting, though there may have been a desire to avoid getting compared to Elsa from Frozen.

I actually like the idea of a Canadian crown: feels like the sort of thing that should have been created either in 1867 or at one of several inflection points after that (centennial, repatriation, when monarchs started showing up in parliaments other than Westminster...).

Riffing on the snowflake diadem would have been interesting, though there may have been a desire to avoid getting compared to Elsa from Frozen.
Agreed. With support for the monarchy at all time lows in Canada and virtually no chance of ever dropping the monarchy here we might as well canadianize and modernize it to make at least a bit more relevant.

If Wolfe didn't use his chest to play musket ball catch, we wouldnt be having this conversation. Quebec would have become England like the rest of the Empire and the idea that Canada is "special" would have died on the cutting room floor well before 1867.

the BNA in 1867 was the means to an end for a British Parliament that had other pressing issues to address (keeping India British was a full time job). The Constitution Act of 1982 was merely PET compromising his Republican wants with the realities of being a Westminster constitutional monarchy. It brought some power to address Canadian identity, while preserving our democratic institutions.

Nowhere in this exercise was there a belief or desire from the monarch to have a separate "crown" for Canada. As far as they're concerned, and rightly so, we did not sprout up out of nowhere. We were conquered, developed, and grew within the Empire to become the nation we are today. To develop a "Maple Crown" denies that role in our history.

The diadem is a separate issue because it isn't a mark of authority within our heraldry or history. It's a Canadian, stylized version of the George IV Diamond State Diadem that, again, has actual significance and history. It also, again, is a real, tangible item and not a paper crown.

I don't know why we have such a chip on our shoulder about this kind of stuff, but we are part of the club... no need to copy someone else's homework all the time to make us feel better about ourselves.

If Wolfe didn't use his chest to play musket ball catch, we wouldnt be having this conversation. Quebec would have become England like the rest of the Empire and the idea that Canada is "special" would have died on the cutting room floor well before 1867.

the BNA in 1867 was the means to an end for a British Parliament that had other pressing issues to address (keeping India British was a full time job). The Constitution Act of 1982 was merely PET compromising his Republican wants with the realities of being a Westminster constitutional monarchy. It brought some power to address Canadian identity, while preserving our democratic institutions.

Nowhere in this exercise was there a belief or desire from the monarch to have a separate "crown" for Canada. As far as they're concerned, and rightly so, we did not sprout up out of nowhere. We were conquered, developed, and grew within the Empire to become the nation we are today. To develop a "Maple Crown" denies that role in our history.

The diadem is a separate issue because it isn't a mark of authority within our heraldry or history. It's a Canadian, stylized version of the George IV Diamond State Diadem that, again, has actual significance and history. It also, again, is a real, tangible item and not a paper crown.

I don't know why we have such a chip on our shoulder about this kind of stuff, but we are part of the club... no need to copy someone else's homework all the time to make us feel better about ourselves.
I don't think changing the crown that is used to represent the institution of the Crown specifically for Canada does anything to undermine history. I'm a staunch monarchist, but I also understand that the monarchy has to adapt to the times. Canada isn't predominately filled with people British ancestry, who are looking to keep the ties tot he old country alive.

My family came over almost 300 years ago... We have no links beyond genetics with Scotland.

Also, the King already has a seperate cypher for Scotland, why is it such a stretch for the King to have one specifically for Canada?

I don't think changing the crown that is used to represent the institution of the Crown specifically for Canada does anything to undermine history. I'm a staunch monarchist, but I also understand that the monarchy has to adapt to the times. Canada isn't predominately filled with people British ancestry, who are looking to keep the ties tot he old country alive.

My family came over almost 300 years ago... We have no links beyond genetics with Scotland.

Also, the King already has a seperate cypher for Scotland, why is it such a stretch for the King to have one specifically for Canada?
I agree with much that you have said and am largely in the same boat but I do think the UK and Crown should have done a better job to maintain the links. It definitely feels very half assed relations wise in the 20/21st century.

I agree with much that you have said and am largely in the same boat but I do think the UK and Crown should have done a better job to maintain the links. It definitely feels very half assed relations wise in the 20/21st century.
This was an intentional endeavor by MacKenzie-King, St. Laurent, and Pearson because of the geopolitical shift that happened Post-War.

Britain was broke, the Empire was dissolving, and the Americans were the new cool kid on the block. And you also had folks like Tony Eden, Ed Heath, and Harold Wislon that felt they had bigger fish to fry than keeping up appearances with the extended family.

Back