• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New CP Gear Dump Pouch

PhilB

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was recently given the opportunity to T&E the new CPgear "Lobster Trap" dump pouch. I was very intrigued when presented with this opportunity. I have expressed clearly in the past that I am not a huge fan of CPgear. I have always thought that the quality of their gear was top notch, their customer service and warranty can't be beat, but the design and overall utility of their products was lacking in my opinion. A lot of the stuff they made was just not for me, it did not have an operational focus IMHO. Recently they hired some new staff, incl a forum member here, to help redesign some of their products. This is the first piece released from the new up coming line. I used a Maxpedition Rolly Polly when I was in Afghanistan and really liked the pouch, so, all that being said I went into the T&E looking for problems, and I have to say I did not find any.

This pouch, on the surface, is a pretty standard design, normal roll up dump pouch, the same as the Maxpedition Rolly Polly. Once I started using the pouch, however, I found that the design addressed many of the issues I have with the aforementioned pouch.

This pouch feels absolutely bomb proof. Extremely heavy duty cordura and stitching are used throughout. When you pick it up it just feels strong. The cordura used is much heavier duty compared to the maxpedition pouch.The pouch I received was in Cadpat TW but I believe that they are also releasing them in Cadpat AR, as well as standard colours like OD. This is a very nice touch because it allows you to match your gear to the issued vests, thus alleviating a lot of the issues with some CoC's over non issue kit.

The pouch folds up quite small like the maxpedition pouch and is secured by velcro when folded:

DSCN0414.jpg

DSCN0415.jpg

The pouch can be attached to load bearing equipment in several ways. There is PALS on the back of the pouch to facilitate attaching to a MOLLE system and there is a large opening behind the PALS panel to allow a belt mount. The design now differs from the normal rolly polly, CP gear has added heavy duty d rings to the pouch to allow it to be connected to the TV with zap straps or para cord. The d rings were in exactly the right place and I had no issues attaching it easily to my TV.

DSCN0416.jpg

DSCN0413.jpg

The pouch is slightly larger than the maxpedition pouch both in height, width and depth.

DSCN0407.jpg

DSCN0406.jpg

Now onto the major differences, and what makes this pouch stand out, in my mind, over other dump pouches I have used. The three major issues I have with the rolly polly pouch are the shock cord closure, the opening collapsing, and the velcro lid.

First off, the lid. On the maxpedition pouch there is a velcro flap that secures the pouch when folded. When the pouch is deployed the flap is secured with a strip of velcro inside the pouch itself. I have found that when deploying the pouch quickly the flap gets stuck overtop of the opening. It is easily pushed down into the pouch but it makes the first reload somewhat counter intuitive as the pouch opening is blocked. On the CP gear pouch the flap attached at the top of the deployed pouch. I found that when deploying the pouch quickly the flap naturally fell onto the velcro meant to secure it, with no issues. I think that this is a major improvement because it ensures that the opening of the pouch does not become obstructed.

You can see in this picture where the flap is attached at the top of the deployed pouch.

DSCN0407.jpg

Next the pouch closure. Obviously a dump pouch is a toss up between the ability to easily get an empty mag into the pouch and retention of the mag once inside. The maxpedition pouch is secured basically by shock cord. The cord runs around the circumference of the opening and is tightened to aid retention. An individual basically finds the middle ground for themselves between retention and ease of insertion. For me this means that I need to have the pouch tightened to the point where I cannot easily fit my hand into the pouch. The CP gear pouch, on the other hand, is secured by a nylon cuff and shock cord. The cuff goes around the opening and is secured with shock cord around it. I found that I could have the opening where a mag is inserted looser but because the cuff was covering the rest of the pouch, there was more retention. This, again, is an improvement in my opinion because it allows reloads to be faster, and for more retention of magazines in the pouch.

Pouch completely open:

DSCN0410.jpg

Shock cord tightened:

DSCN0408.jpg

Finally opening collapse. I have found the the opening of the maxpedition pouch tends to collapse and be folded in over time, in particular when it is empty or with only a few magazines inserted. This is a major issue for me because, at times, I am unable to insert the mag into the pouch intuitively. I have to look down and dick around with the pouch to get the mag in. The Cp gear pouch has a strip of rigid 1 inch webbing around the opening of the pouch. I think that this is the best improvement to this pouch. The rigid webbing keeps the pouch from collapsing and allows constant intuitive reloads (not having to look down, or mess with the pouch to get a mag in).

Pouch inside out:

DSCN0411.jpg

Close up on 1 inch webbing strip:

DSCN0412.jpg

All in all I am very impressed with this pouch. It has some simple, yet ingenious design improvements. I would not hesitate to buy this pouch over the maxpedition pouch. If CP can make these, clearly end user driven, improvements to a simple thing like a dump pouch I am really looking forward to the improvements on the rest of their gear. My opinion on the company has definitely been shifted more for the positive after having used this pouch. Hope this helps or is informative to some of you. Merry Christmas

Phil, excellent review - I've spoken to Army.ca's own Matt Fisher (now heading up military product design for Wheelers-CP Gear) and I can say that there is alot to look forward to in terms of gear in the pipeline.  As you said, we will see the established base of CP Gear get the necessary operational focus it needed to make it a top-notch supplier of gear (Matt being a Marine with OIF experience).  The new dump-pouch is a good example of some relevent gear that will be tailor-made to the needs of Canadian soldiers.

Cheers,
Infanteer

Well I got mine last week as well.....what can I say? Well not much since Phil pretty much said it all!!!! Anyway I used it this past weekend, did a BFT and a range day. Didn't really bneed it on the BFT but used it at the range. This pouch works great. It has some good features, namely the cuff inside the bag. I really liked that as I could make the opening as large or small as I wanted. I also like the three different options for attachment - d-rings, belt loop and PALS. If Matt keeps coming up with gear ideas like this, CP will be back in the game. Good job Matt. CP is going to benefit from having you with them.

Hi guys, just spoke with Matt at CP. They will be doing a run of OD dump pouches early in the new year.

Hopefully there will be a day when we don't need to buy the kit we need....

Until then, keep up the good work Matt. Thanks PhilB.

I grew up just down the road from the "Wheeler/CP Gear" building and I've seen their products evolve over the years.  They've always been a bit behind the curve compared to other kit manufacturers who had a lot of input from soldiers who had been in combat.  Durability was never an issue but function and ergonomics was/is.  Its always had a bit of an airsoft/paintball feel to it even after their focus shifted from civie bags to military kit.  Its nice to see them start to catch up, they still aren't really operating near their full potential. 

I couldnt agree more Garett their designs were definitely behind the ball. They just hired Matt on a little while ago, and he definitely has experience both in the gear industry and soldiering. I am really looking forward to seeing the rest of his line come out. I think this dump pouch is one of the best designed I have ever seen, so hopefully the other products will be on line with it.

St. Michaels, again couldn't agree  more. It is a sad state of affairs when troops have to go out and spend thousands of dollars of their own money to prepare for a deployment! I am happy that now there are at least starting to be more Canadian sources with which to do that (CP, Daves, Oneshot etc)

Looks like they've stopped saying 'ooh that looks cool' and realized 'hey, we need that'.

Also, I check the site and they do have them in AR.

Lerch said:
Looks like they've stopped saying 'ooh that looks cool' and realized 'hey, we need that'.

WHAT are you talking about?

who knows. This is not the first time that lerch has made "odd" comments in kit related threads. This time I just dont get what he means? Must be a navy thing!  ;D

PhilB said:
who knows. This is not the first time that lerch has made "odd" comments in kit related threads. This time I just dont get what he means? Must be a navy thing!  ;D

I just don't read his comments  ;D

PhilB, ave you tested the dump pouch in the field?  If so, how did it preform?

Edited for spelling

Thats good to hear about the dump pouch. I was looking to purchase one in the new year for the up coming Roto.

I used it out shooting for a bit, not really tons of exposure to the field yet. It was out for a couple days, thats it. When we stand back up and get going out more I will post an update. I would say though just on a side to side comparison with the rolly polly
(which I used daily while deployed) it will do great. Quality is much higher than the rolly polly and the design is better.

MikeH I would definitely suggest this one over the rolly polly, more bang for your buck in my opinion.

Back