• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New CF Fitness Policies Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzgo

Inactive
Reaction score
Someone emailed this to me today:

UNCLAS CDS 104/05  canforgen 198/05
SUBJECT:  CDS DIRECTION FOR PHYSICAL FITNESS
1.  AS YOU ARE NOW ALL AWARE, CF TRANSFORMATION WILL MAKE THE CF
MORE RESPONSIVE BY ENHANCING OUR ABILITY TO ACT QUICKLY IN THE EVENT
OF CRISES, WHETHER IN CANADA OR AROUND THE WORLD.  THE PHYSICAL
FITNESS OF OUR SOLDIERS, SAILORS AND AIRMEN AND AIRWOMEN IS AN
ESSENTIAL AND CRITICAL COMPONENT OF OUR OPERATIONAL READINESS, AND
OF MILITARY DUTY AND LEADERSHIP IN GENERAL.
2.  KEY TO ATTAINING THE HIGH LEVELS OF PHYSICAL FITNESS NECESSARY
FOR TODAY S DEPLOYED OPERATIONS IS A REINVIGORATION OF THE CULTURE
OF PHYSICAL FITNESS IN THE CF.  WE CURRENTLY BENEFIT FROM
OUTSTANDING FITNESS FACILITIES, PROFESSIONAL PHYSICAL EDUCATORS,
HEALTH PROMOTION STAFF, AND WELL-RESEARCHED PROGRAMS.  IT IS THE
PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY OF CF MEMBERS, AND THE COLLECTIVE
RESPONSIBILITY OF CF LEADERSHIP TO EMBRACE A HIGH LEVEL OF FITNESS
AND HEALTH.
3.  IN SUPPORT OF THIS EFFORT, PHYSICAL EDUCATION MODULES FOR
LEADERSHIP AND TRAINING COURSES HAVE BEEN DEVELOPED, CF FITNESS
REGULATIONS ARE BEING UPDATED, UPDATED HEALTH PROMOTION PROGRAMS
CONTINUE TO BE IMPLEMENTED, AND REPORTING PROCEDURES ARE BEING
RE-INTRODUCED.  I EXPECT THE CHAIN OF COMMAND AND INDIVIDUAL CF
MEMBERS TO DO WHAT IS REQUIRED TO ENHANCE LEVELS OF FITNESS. 
4.  TO ASSIST IN THE ACHIEVEMENT OF THAT GOAL, I AM ISSUING THE
FOLLOWING GUIDANCE:
A.  ALL REG F PERSONNEL AND P RES PERSONNEL ON CONTINUOUS RESERVE
SERVICE (CLASS B OR C) FOR A PERIOD EXCEEDING 180 DAYS, WITH THE
EXCEPTION OF THOSE WHO ARE EXEMPT OR MEDICALLY EXCUSED, OR SUBJECT
TO A LOCATION EXCUSAL, SHALL BE FITNESS TESTED IAW EXISTING POLICY
BY 31 MAR 06 FOR THE 1 APRIL 05/31 MARCH 06 EVALUATION YEAR.
B.  COMMANDING OFFICERS WILL ENSURE THE FITNESS STATUS OF THEIR CF
PERSONNEL IS ENTERED INTO THE FITNESS PANEL OF THE HRMS NLT       
30 APR 06.  BY 15 MAY 06, A CONSOLIDATED REPORT WILL BE PROVIDED TO 
ADM(HR MIL), WHO WILL INFORM AFC.
C.  A NEW DAOD ON PHYSICAL FITNESS WILL EMPHASIZE REQUIREMENT FOR
ALL CF MEMBERS TO PARTICIPATE IN A PHYSICAL FITNESS PROGRAM
SANCTIONED BY THE CF.  THE NEW DAOD WILL ALSO ADDRESS THE
PROGRESSIVE STEPS REQUIRED, SHOULD CF PERSONNEL FAIL TO MEET THE
REQUIRED MINIMUM PHYSICAL FITNESS STANDARD.  THESE STEPS WILL
INCLUDE REMEDIAL PF TRAINING, RETESTING, AND, IF NECESSARY, CAREER
ADMINISTRATIVE MEASURES.
D.  FURTHER, CONSISTENT WITH THE MINIMUM OPERATIONAL STANDARDS
ASSOCIATED WITH UNIVERSALITY OF SERVICE PRINCIPLES, A NEW DAOD TO
REPLACE THE CFAO S AND CANFORGEN S ON PROMOTION POLICY WILL ADD
CERTIFICATION OF PHYSICAL FITNESS AS A CONDITION FOR PROMOTION,
ALONG WITH THE EXISTING REQUIREMENT TO BE MEDICALLY FIT.
5.  LET ME BE CLEAR:  WHILE THIS GUIDANCE WILL PROVIDE SENIOR
LEADERSHIP WITH A SNAPSHOT IN TIME, THIS IS NOT ABOUT FITNESS
TESTING, IT IS ABOUT HELPING TO SET THE CONDITIONS FOR SUCCESS IN
OPERATIONS.  I AM CONVINCED THAT ADHERENCE TO A PHYSICAL FITNESS
PROGRAM WILL NOT ONLY INCREASE STRENGTH, ENERGY AND ENDURANCE, BUT
ALSO IMPROVE AN INDIVIDUAL S ABILITY TO COPE WITH MENTAL AND
EMOTIONAL STRESSES.  THIS IS LEADERSHIP BUSINESS, AND I EXPECT THE
SUPPORT OF LEADERS AT ALL LEVELS TO ENSURE THE CF IS FIT TO FIGHT.

I don't have a link as it was an email but it is out on the DIN. It looks like 2006 will be an interesting year.

So, in a nutshell, the CDS is directing that existing policies be followed; that exisiting standards be applied; that exisitng sanctions be used against those who fail to meet the standard.  And this only applies to Reg F and full time Res F members.

So, what's the "new" part? 

This part is new, isn't it?

A NEW DAOD TO
REPLACE THE CFAO S AND CANFORGEN S ON PROMOTION POLICY WILL ADD
CERTIFICATION OF PHYSICAL FITNESS AS A CONDITION FOR PROMOTION

Haggis said:
So, in a nutshell, the CDS is directing that existing policies be followed; that exisiting standards be applied; that exisitng sanctions be used against those who fail to meet the standard.  And this only applies to Reg F and full time Res F members.

So why can't our citizen soldiers be held to the same standards ?- the Reserves want the same kit, the same courses, the same opportunities to deploy, so why can't they be held to the same standards of fitness?

GO!!!
in part, it is an issue of CF sanctioned Phys Ed and what happens if you injure yourself while doing said PE.
Reg & FT Res are provided with PT facilities and PERI staff.

The Reg & FT Res are paid while they are doing their PT and paid if they get hurt during sanctioned PT periods.

As things stand, the Cl A reservist is only paid while undergoing unit training and not at any other time in the week. If he gets hurt and is unable to go to work the next day... who is going to look after him?... no pay sheet was signed so he is not protected by the CF and no possibility for compensation.

So,,, same kit, same courses, same deployment, same oportunities, same compensation?

Fine, sign them in give them a PT test if they fail send them home.

geo said:
GO!!!
in part, it is an issue of CF sanctioned Phys Ed and what happens if you injure yourself while doing said PE.
Reg & FT Res are provided with PT facilities and PERI staff.

The Reg & FT Res are paid while they are doing their PT and paid if they get hurt during sanctioned PT periods.

As things stand, the Cl A reservist is only paid while undergoing unit training and not at any other time in the week. If he gets hurt and is unable to go to work the next day... who is going to look after him?... no pay sheet was signed so he is not protected by the CF and no possibility for compensation.

So,,, same kit, same courses, same deployment, same oportunities, same compensation?

I think we as reservists use this as an excuse. Doing PT on your own time is not so inherently dangerous that it should be an issue. I could trip and fall walking down the sidewalk and no one would compensate me, but I still risk leaving my house on a daily basis.  ;)

I'm willing to bet most reservists participate in far more hazardous activities than PT on a regular basis, such as contact sports, skiing, snowboarding, drunken bar fights, etc etc...

Mike_R23A said:
I think we as reservists use this as an excuse. Doing PT on your own time is not so inherently dangerous that it should be an issue. I could trip and fall walking down the sidewalk and no one would compensate me, but I still risk leaving my house on a daily basis.   ;)

I'm willing to bet most reservists participate in far more hazardous activities than PT on a regular basis, such as contact sports, skiing, snowboarding, drunken bar fights, etc etc...

We've seen plenty here that Unit PT doesn't do it for most. However, if your Reg or on B or C and you injure yourself walking down your sidewalk to do your makeup PT, your covered and compensated. Cl A's aren't. Bottom line is you can't force them to participate in something where they may get injured and not compensated.

Maybe we should look beyond the "are you getting paid or not" question with regard to pension/compensation coverage for Class A reserves.  I am covered for what ever I have put on my Expres test form, whether I am on duty or not.  Now don't raise the 24/7 thing because, realistically you are aren't on duty 24/7.  In my last job I was prohibited from drinking alcohol while on duty.  If 24/7 applied that would have been 8 dry years.

I am subject to the NDA 24/7 and that is what seperates Reg/Cl B/C from Cl A.

So the solution is to carry out an Expres test questionaire on all Cl A pers, and if they are injured while conducting PT IAW with that program they are covered.  Why does DND have to pay someone in order to provide compensation coverage?  Seems a bit backwards to me.

D

I'm not sure that you are covered by what you put on the EXPRES form anymore - if it falls outside of what is on the form for an exercise prescription.

If you are participating in sports or activities that aren't on the form you are supposed to get the CO's permission to do them. If you don't get permission then you are not covered in case of injury.

So if you hurt yourself walking at 'level 3' then you are good to go, but if you hurt yourself rapelling during an adventure race without having permission - good luck with veteran's affairs.

PSP has a list of what is permitted and shouldn't put down anything that isn't.  They should also ask you what level you exercise at and help you in putting down the correct level.  Therefore anything you put down on the form should be part of the prescription, no problem.
Team sports are now on longer on the form other than cross country skiing.  I assume that if you have listed X-country as part of your exercise and get hurt during a biathalon relay you would be covered.
Getting hurt on your own time was always troublesome.  You have to prove that the event was in the interest of the service.  No change there.

Forum:

It seems the emphasis of the new DAOD replacing CFAO 50-1 (from 1987) is the adminsitration of a failure and the recourse the unit has to rectify it. (Verbal, RW, CP etc)

But we all know a Medical chit stalls or stops the process.

The only bottleneck the Navy seems to have is the PLQ, where u need a valid passed EXPRES to start. I am not sure about the other elements.

Its about time we shake our image as roly poly Canadians who eat too much and watch movies.
The Navy is the worst for abiding by the EXPRES Test but never ever promoting PT for its sailors.

PLQ candidates in LFCA require a valid EXPRES or BFT also, prior to course.

Is it possible that this is in response to some of the appearance of some of the younger crowd who work at NDHQ and wear pants with enough fabric to sail the HMCS Toronto on wind power? You know, the people who should be in shape, but aren't. The people who everyone else see's when they are waiting for the bus, and secretly wonder how the **** that person can be in the army, and why those people are wearing 2 acres of CADPAT? I can't see this being applied to senior officers that ride a desk all day. Or is this being directed at the NCM's out there in the field, or in garrison?

I'm just trying to figure out if this is applicable to me.

Mike_R23A said:
Doing PT on your own time is not so inherently dangerous that it should be an issue.

It is, if you've previously defined "PT" as Pilsner and Tortillas.  Look back to the '93'ish Warrior Program. several members, both Res F and Reg F suffered serious injury (including at least one career ending heart attack) attempting to meet the standard.

Mike_R23A said:
I'm willing to bet most reservists participate in far more hazardous activities than PT on a regular basis

Like life?

The problem is that the P Res is not funded to provide any meaningful, progressive PT for it's part time members.  There is rarely, if ever, enough time or money to meet the training requirements already laid down by higher.  Look at any Reserve unit business plan to see the lists of "non-deliverables" that unit COs have neither the time or money to make good on.

HOWEVER, the new requirement for a fitness certification before promotion is a wonderful idea and should be applied to the Class A world as well.  Furthermore, a fitness certification shopuld be a prerequisite for a Class A reservist to occupy any leadership positions on major exercises.

Why?

Because there's nothing more demoralizing than doing personal PT all year long and then being "led" on an FTX by a red-faced, wheezing senior member with a huge shytelocker hanging out below his Tac Vest.

There isn't a new standard, but now there is accountability by the CO's to higher to ensure all members of the unit have been fitness tested.

B.  COMMANDING OFFICERS WILL ENSURE THE FITNESS STATUS OF THEIR CF
PERSONNEL IS ENTERED INTO THE FITNESS PANEL OF THE HRMS NLT       
30 APR 06.  BY 15 MAY 06, A CONSOLIDATED REPORT WILL BE PROVIDED TO 
ADM(HR MIL), WHO WILL INFORM AFC.

There is still no change to the min standard.

To me, this whole argument against reserve fitness seems to be a bit of a non issue.

If you were to apply to any uniformed service (LE, Border Serv, CF, DCorr etc) and fail due to the physical requirements, would that department pay or compensate you while you tried to get yourself in shape, so that you could re-apply?

If you want to wear the uniform, don't be a FPOS, or you will be fired. The benefit is that you get to keep your part - time employment, and the associated benefits.

Treat PT just like haircuts and well turned out combats - the CF does'nt pay for reservists haircuts - but they are still expected to have them - and no one will be able to claim a pension based on an injury sustained while going to get a haircut.

GO!!! said:
To me, this whole argument against reserve fitness seems to be a bit of a non issue.

The argument is not against Reserve fitness.  On the contrary, many Reservists would like to see existing standards applied to them as well.  One Army - One Standard.  The issue is about liability of the CF when imposing a standard without compensation for the consequence of meeting that standard.  What is needed is protection similar to the Reg F (or Class B/C) for part timers who are injured training on their own time.  In many cases that injury means time off work with no military or civilian pay and out-of-pocket medical expenses not covered by the CF because it happened when s/he was not on duty (i.e. not "signed in"). 

GO!!! said:
If you were to apply to any uniformed service (LE, Border Serv, CF, DCorr etc) and fail due to the physical requirements, would that department pay or compensate you while you tried to get yourself in shape, so that you could re-apply?

No, and nor do we.  Applicants must meet the standard out of their own time and pocket. Once in, though, the agencies you mentioned (including the full-time CF) make it a condition of employment to maintain that fitness and they compensate their members for it.

GO!!! said:
If you want to wear the uniform, don't be a FPOS, or you will be fired.
You mean like "One Army - One Standard"?  What a novel idea!!!  Oh, but look around before you start firing only Reservists.  There's FPOS everywhere, in every trade and environment and every component.  Look back at the posts by "Dog" and Hfxcrow" for examples.

GO!!! said:
Treat PT just like haircuts and well turned out combats - the CF does'nt pay for reservists haircuts - but they are still expected to have them - and no one will be able to claim a pension based on an injury sustained while going to get a haircut.

Unusual analogy, but you are comparing apples and oranges.  Sure, nobody will claim a pension becasue of a haircut.  But nobody's going on a CRB because of a haircut, either.  Nobody will miss work because of overexertion in a barbershop. 

Unlike low physical fitness  it doesn't take several weeks of hard work and discipline to restore a person's dress and deportment to acceptable standards (with the exception of some Air Force officers).

Haggis said:
No, and nor do we.  Applicants must meet the standard out of their own time and pocket. Once in, though, the agencies you mentioned (including the full-time CF) make it a condition of employment to maintain that fitness and they compensate their members for it.
You mean like "One Army - One Standard"?  What a novel idea!!!  Oh, but look around before you start firing only Reservists.  There's FPOS everywhere, in every trade and environment and every component.  Look back at the posts by "Dog" and Hfxcrow" for examples.

All the militia units I am familiar with have agreements with local gyms/health clubs for free or heavily discounted membership - it is not out of pocket. Additionally, the express test, coopers test and others require little more than a chin up bar to train for, so you don't need a gym to stay in good shape.

I agree strongly with the application of the PT standards to the pathetic in the reg force as well - but they are not claiming that they are not paid to work out (most of them go sobbing to the MIR to avoid testing or PT)

Unusual analogy, but you are comparing apples and oranges.  Sure, nobody will claim a pension becasue of a haircut.  But nobody's going on a CRB because of a haircut, either.  Nobody will miss work because of overexertion in a barbershop. 

Unlike low physical fitness  it doesn't take several weeks of hard work and discipline to restore a person's dress and deportment to acceptable standards (with the exception of some Air Force officers).

I've seen guys charged for haircuts - and charges are usually considered when speaking of a members career.

I believe that we are selling our reservists short by making excuses to keep them from Reg force standards. If you want to be paid as a reg force soldier, get the benefits of a reg f soldier, and go on all of the deployments and courses of a reg f soldier - become one! If you CHOOSE not to join the reg f, you CHOOSE to forgo all of the above, and you CHOOSE a life of a reservist - none of this is being imposed upon you.

Regardless of your choice, there are standards to be met, and they should be applied equally. Should you choose not to meet them, see ya!

There is a post elsewhere in army.ca to the effect of the DND not being a "smorgasboard of benefits" for reservists and reg f alike. If you choose to be a reservist, you choose to be in shape without any compensation, but you are not subject to things like bug outs, last minute taskings, postings to shitty places and the like. So there's some give and take.

IOW, you forgo certain benefits in concert with the downsides of reg f life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back