• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New CBC Show-Between Hope and Fear

NL_engineer

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
This show is on Easter Sunday at 2000 hrs EST (TV Guide Link); I seen an interview with the film maker for the show on the Hour last night.  It looks good, I just hope all the Taliban interviewed have had their date with a 500 lbs bomb  ;D

I'll be watching for sure. Hopefully it will be a correct and accurate portrayal of the real situation.

derael said:
Hopefully it will be a correct and accurate portrayal of the real situation.

:rofl:

You know its the CBC right ?

*Milnet.ca staff edit for site policy*

CDN Aviator said:
:rofl:

You know its the CBC right ?

I think the film maker is an independent, but that hasn't stopped CBC from twisting shows in the past  ::)

NL_engineer said:
I think the film maker is an independent, but that hasn't stopped CBC from twisting shows in the past  ::)

WOW I was way wrong  ::)

Not even 10 Min in and CBC is taking cheep shots at us.  They just showed the USMC shooting up the place, and made it sound like it was us, then said it is a daily occurrence  ::)

Edited to add

Now they are making the Taliban out to be good

To be fair... they are showing Canadian contributions

A Canadian funded school
The child who was sent to Canada for heart transplant (now being threatened by the Taliban)

I tuned it a bit late and missed the American shot up the place part.

Ok...  I resign to the previous comments. 

I apparently was watching one hour behind. 
So ONE HANDED reporting.

Since when did the CBC become Military analysts using a few hand held video cameras???
They mention 1 Canadian killed in Ambush and show some video but fail to state that
we repelled the ambush or enemy killed?

Liberal CRAP.

Trinity said:
Ok...  I resign to the previous comments. 

I apparently was watching one hour behind. 
So ONE HANDED reporting.

Since when did the CBC become Military analysts using a few hand held video cameras???
They mention 1 Canadian killed in Ambush and show some video but fail to state that
we repelled the ambush or enemy killed?

Liberal CRAP.

Seems pretty defeatist...  They just constantly return to the "un-winnable war" rhetoric. 

This almost seems like Taliban/anti-coalition/anti-western propaganda... very subtle, but fairly one sided.

Disappointing. 

It appeared to look at the many complex issues that when are all blended together make up Afghanistan. I have no idea if it's an accurate portrayal of the issue or not but it certainly makes the place look as if it needs some long term care in order to allow security, fundamental education, health care and other basic needs to replace the previous system which only exploited people and allowed it to become a base for radical organizations.
If the intent of the documentary was to show why we should be involved it certainly did that.
The issues that it covered are the core of the problem and I doubt if all of these things have been brought together in one program that has been presented to Canadians.
However, I've never been there and have never had the opportunity to have an insiders view as to what goes on so maybe it"s all b.s.

I tuned in late, but the tone of the narrarrator says it all, doesn't it? Plus the "sons of the sons of the taliban" comment that infers this war is not a winning propsotion. She doesn't come out and say it but...it is inferred.

The preview they showed earlier today was enough to keep me from watching it. Just from that I got all that un-winnable B.S, so I just steered clear, and went out to the town's 3 Timmies.

Midget

Just finished watching the rerun and this one might as well be made by NDP

What I got from it was mostly how the country is so crippled by tradition, corruption and lack of infrastructure and that there is no viable economy. It showed how some people have had the courage to go against the grain and try to establish educational, medical and economic upstarts despite the prevailing powers of the established few who don't want progress.

AirCanuck said:
I missed it - worth watching or no?

I'd say yes... worth watching.  Although it has a negative perspective of the NATO/Canadian mission, it does show some interesting aspects of life in Afghanistan.  Some of the other stuff we don't commonly see here in Canada.  For that, it's worth taking a look.

It does seem a little bleak in its outlook on everything, and it always seems to point to the "when will the foreigners leave?" question, but it has some good videography and some interesting views of life outside of the standard Afghanistan most people think of... for example; Kabul University (and Kabul itself); a polar opposite from the "wild wild west" of Kandahar province.  Really interesting to see the difference between the dusty mud huts, pot and poppy fields, and third world/dark ages conditions in Kandahar compared to the relatively modern, and more "western"/conventional city look to Kabul.

At first view; this documentary seemed like the standard CBC take on the mission, with all the normal "we're not going to win" rhetoric and the "leave Afghanistan" comments, but when you weed all that out, it does have some interesting information... you just have to "read between the lines"... SOP for CBC docs.

One thing that really bothered the hell out of me, and it's not just the CBC, but everyones view of "the war".  When people say; "do you think we're going to win", or "We're not going to win this one" or any other comment like that.
This isn't a conventional war.  It's not really Us vs Them, like wars past.  This is a war on ideas for the sake of political. moral and religious liberty and the inalienable human right to freedom of choice and freedom from oppression... we're not fighting the Taliban, we're holding them back so that the population can sort out their own identity and decide what works best for their country, by choice, with out the fear of radical Islamic dictatorship and oppression being rammed down their throat. 
So, who will win in the end? Not Canada.  Or the US... Or even NATO.  We're all going to end up losing lives and money...  No, no.  The winner of this war will inevitably be the people of Afghanistan.  When they can stand on their own, politically, economically and militarily, then we will have completed our mission, but they will have "won the war".  They will reap the benefit, they will gain the most. 
So when CBC states; "we're not going to win this one"... well... thank you captain obvious... it appears you have either missed the point or have misunderstood the mission.  How can NATO or its backing countries claim 'victory' unless we're taking over the place... A: we can't, 'cause it's not our victory... it's theirs...  But thanks for dumbing down the situation to the lowest common denominator.

Anyway,  back to the topic at hand.  Worth watching, but watch with an open mind and take it all with a grain of salt.  There's a lot more information out there that the CBC is missing, or has cut due to sensationalism, liberalism and the lack of time.

Sorry folks, but the only thing on CBC that contains even a hint of reality is HNIC. Anything else is just Liberal, left wing pablum to be spoon fed to the unwashed masses.

I knew this would be shit before it even came on, and I'm glad I didn't waste my time viewing it based on the reviews so far.

Hmm, after reading some comments on here, it's a good thing I forgot to watch it.

It wasn't too bad - made use of a lot of really odd stock footage that made me scratch my head a little.  There's so much current footage of the deployment why they would use old stuff I don't know.  It painted a fairly grim picture, but it seems that the future is not entirely rosy there.  It did oversimplify things greatly though, it didn't talk at all about tribal/ethnic issues - one of the people they followed was an aid worker in Bamiyam dealing with the Hazara (incidently, National Geographic recently did an insightful piece about the Hazara people, a couple of months ago I think), but it didn't talk about where Bamiyan is, what the situation there is like, or give much other depth.  Of course, being a two hour doc it was a pretty narrow view so you can't expect too much.  I didn't see it as being especially negative though, it was overall worth watching.

Back