• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Canadian applying for Navy

athlon866

Inactive
Reaction score
I applied CF back in 2009 March. I've done my aptitude test in 2009 May and submitted my Grade 12 maths and physics results.

Then CF closed my case because I need to get my citizenship. Now I'm scheduled to take a citizenship test in 2010 April. If everything goes well, I'll be sworn in as a Canadian citizen in May.

I have checked the application process for an ordinary recruit and found out it takes a while.

Here's a list of things I have done so far:
All my applications, forms, and documents submitted to CF
Aptitude test, followed by a medical questionnaire (not sure if it's a medical test)
A talk with a naval recruiter in CFRC Toronto. I'm not sure if it's an interview. Basically a Lt(N) told me I can't go to ROTP due to my English, but I can go to any trade within NCM.
Credit check
Reference check

I understand all naval trade requires Level II security clearance which tracks me back for 7 years, but I have less than 4 years in Canada. A recruiting officer, Sergent, told me some of the checks can be waived.

Would CF do my background check after I submitted my application even if I'm not yet a citizen?
Once I got my citizenship in May, how soon can I join the CF?
I would prefer going to Marine Institute in Memorial University. Is it true, upon graduation, I get Leading Seaman?
If I missed Memorial University's deadline, and I have to go to Navy's own school, can I get my diploma upgraded to a degree either by independent study or subsidized education from CF?
Does 7 years in Canada really matter?

It's been very frustrating applying for Canadian citizenship because Citizenship and Immigration Canada has been very bureaucracy. I'm so looking forward to a seaman's life.

Lets go with your questions one at a time.

1) Not all Navy trades require an Level II clearance. However If you want a tech occupation then yes. It is not a Canadian requirement it is a NATO requirement that you be in the country for at least 7 years.
2) Yes on occasion and not always they can take a look and see that you will be in school for 2 years before you get to a ship. However, this is NOT always the case and it is done on a case by case basis.
3) No your background checks were probably not done and besides they expire after one year so they will have to be done again anyway.
4) Being enrolled is based on how long it takes to get all your checks done. Add to that fact that you have less than 10 years in the country and if you have immediate family living outside the country could make the process up to 18 months.
5) Yes upon successful completion of your education and BMQ you will be promoted to Acting Leading Seaman.
6) As I stated above the 7 years does matter.
7) Even in the Navy we had to put up with a lot of bureaucracy. Get used to it your going to be working for the Federal Government.

Hope this helps. If you want more either look up in the search on here or send me a PM.

Back