• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Canada-Croatia military partnership

milnews.ca said:
That said, imagine how the troops standing in the middle of this might feel about the Croats.
I know it is only human to associate the evil done under a certain label with that label itself. I hope we can find a way to remember past injustices and honour those who suffered under them, without that past impairing our ability to strive toward future cooperation, and hopefully, eventually, mutual respect and understanding.

I hope the true issue at hand is that events that transpired in former Yugoslavia is not nearly "in the past" enough to justify the lax attitude the Canadian government is taking toward near future cooperation with Croatia.

I'm thinking some folks would be happier if the Croatian government really acknowledged what happened, what their military and police forces did that were directly and indirectly condoned by them on their behalf and actually punished those involved...until then, as far as many are concerned, they've literally gotten away with murder.  So now, they are allowed into our mainstream alliances - what kind of message does that send?  I'd have to say they're having a big political "Nana nana boo boo" at our expense.

:2c: for what it's worth.

MM

medicineman said:
I'm thinking some folks would be happier if the Croatian government really acknowledged what happened, what their military and police forces did that were directly and indirectly condoned by them on their behalf and actually punished those involved...until then, as far as many are concerned, they've literally gotten away with murder ....
:goodpost:

The problem with the Croats is not so much the fight they had with our guys in the Medak Pocket, but the atrocities they committed afterwards.

Not one player in that entire shit hole of a region has clean hands when it comes to atrocities.  There's a reason we called them the *******.  Build a 40' concrete wall around the whole of the FRY and start pumping from the Med.

Retired AF Guy said:
The problem with the Croats is not so much the fight they had with our guys in the Medak Pocket, but the atrocities they committed before/during the withdrawal and afterwards.
TFYFY

Retired Airforce Guy-

The atrocities were carried out before the HV (11th Bde "Metalica" and 9th "Lika Wolves" attacked C Coy 2VP, in order to slow down our entry into the pocket so that they would have more time to clean up and cart away the evidence.

They did quite a good job of cleaning up after themselves, except for about 16 bodies that were found in out of the way spots and most likely overlooked when they were sweeping the vilages.

I worked with Croats a few months ago in Kabul at NTM-A.....none of them wanted to discuss Medak!

Cheers
Noneck

Shouldn't some of the anger be aimed at the UN, and the UN ROE's?

Retired AF Guy said:
The problem with the Croats is not so much the fight they had with our guys in the Medak Pocket, but the atrocities they committed afterwards.

I agree - my friends' issues have to do with what they feel they could have prevented and didn't and what they had to clean up afterwards.  Mine I've already outlined above...I also do wonder what they did to some of the folks I looked after in the area I was in when they rolled over the ZOS in 1995...another time though.  When I say acknowledge what they've done, I don't just mean the Medak gig - I mean everything, as they seem to be acting like a little kid pretending nothing happened - if they believe nothing happened, maybe Mommy and Daddy will ignore it and let me do whatever I please again.  To me ( and I believe some others), I don't think they've been taken to task enough and now have some work to do to prove that they can be the country we'd hope them to be on an international stage.

Rifleman62 said:
Shouldn't some of the anger be aimed at the UN, and the UN ROE's?

I'm sure there is plenty of that headed in that direction too.

MM

It's the atrocities of the Medak Pocket I'm still at odds with.

So called Croatian "Army". They don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as "Canadian Army"

1993 - Cowards & murderers. Scum.  :rage:

Thank you for allowing me to vent. The UN was not at fault - Medak was the fault of the Croation "army" - thugs, murdering SOBs.
Thanks.

Jim Seggie said:
It's the atrocities of the Medak Pocket I'm still at odds with.

So called Croatian "Army". They don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as "Canadian Army"

1993 - Cowards & murderers. Scum.  :rage:

Thank you for allowing me to vent. The UN was not at fault - Medak was the fault of the Croation "army" - thugs, murdering SOBs.
Thanks.

Bingo.

The Croats were not our enemy.  We were there to help stop a civil war that demonized a population.  They had the balz to threaten our brethren in operation storm, that if they retaliated they would be liquidated.  Do not compare them to an aging WW2 German veteran.  We went there to protect their own people, and they raped us, and their own populace for their own goal.  For us to train with them, it is a slap in the face to every Soldier that served in that God forsaken area.

Again, I spit on the fact that we so lightly embrace these monsters.

What next, we take actual recognized Taliban Unit through a Live fire range in Meaford ten years from now?...Pfft.

dileas

tess

Hate them all equally, always will, nothing can change my mind. There is no way in Hell that I would have any part in training them. From the shit that happen on the UN tours to the crap the were pulling on the NATO tours. F@#K THEM

I'm just reading that article for the first time now; nil comment except to say that my stomach actually churned a little while reading it ... so soon to forget are some ...

I was in the Pocket for 10 days. Not with the Rifle companies, or Recce or Mortars (who did the dirty work) I was with BHQ - and we smelt the smoke of the fires that destroyed houses, we heard the explosions, we heard the fighting. I remember at about 0400 one morning an large explosion.....I am very sure that was th night two French soldiers wandered into a minefield and Bill Johnson prodded his way into it to effect the rescue.
My photographer, Bill, took the pictures of the bodies. I saw them and what had been done to them.

Kat Stevens said:
Not one player in that entire crap hole of a region has clean hands when it comes to atrocities.  There's a reason we called them the savages.  Build a 40' concrete wall around the whole of the Balkans and start pumping from the Med.

I will help you out with the geography, there are nations in the Balkans that had nothing to do with the break up of Yugoslavia. The entire region is made up of about 13 nations and over 60,000,000 people, some of those people emigrated to Canada and some are even serving in the Canadian Forces. A number of them having served in Afghanistan including people born in Croatia, Serbia, Greece, Rumania, Bulgaria, European Turkey, Albania you know pretty much from ALL four corners of the Balkans.

GD said:
I will help you out with the geography, there are nations in the Balkans that had nothing to do with the break up of Yugoslavia. The entire region is made up of about 13 nations and over 60,000,000 people, some of those people emigrated to Canada and some are even serving in the Canadian Forces. A number of them having served in Afghanistan including people born in Croatia, Serbia, Greece, Rumania, Bulgaria, European Turkey, Albania you know pretty much from ALL four corners of the Balkans.
May I ask when did you serve there?

Back