• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Brunswick Shale Gas Protests

Scott

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Not sure if this warrants its own thread or belongs in the First Nations protests thread...there are more than just Natives pissed about fracking and shale gas development so I am going to give it its own thread for now.

Things are getting serious in New Brunswick: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/shale-gas-protesters-clash-with-police-in-rexton-n-b-1.2100703

There are two videos - one with repeats of the same clip and another submitted by one of the protestors.

Normally I am loathe to read comments from a CBC article, but the first one I saw was, "You know what's not good for the environment. Police cars on fire." Good one.

Fracking works, but there also have been proven results where it either was not done correctly or some other reason, but it contaminated the water table.

I don't know if there are established guidelines, but there needs to be better monitoring, if nothing else...

:2c:

GAP...there are guidelines and a long history of it out here in Alberta.  Where issues come in is how often, technique used, and how many wells are in the area.  Propane fracking is different from water fracking which can be unique again depending on water amounts used.

Either way sounds like NB has some big issues: nearby schools locked down, reports of 5 RCMP cars destroyed, molotov's, gunshots fired..

Here's hoping this quiets down with no injuries.

Local news is reporting 41 arrested, 1 shot and arrested, 8 firearm offences including at least 1 shot at police and 3 prohibited weapons. There was also fire bombs and other explosive device secured.

Lightguns said:
Local news is reporting 41 arrested, 1 shot and arrested, 8 firearm offences including at least 1 shot at police and 3 prohibited weapons. There was also fire bombs and other explosive device secured.

I'm sure they will be punished to the furthest extent that the law allows  ;D

I am travelling right now but being from NB and knowing all about some of the idiots involved in these shenanigans I will comment on this later tonight.  All I can say is this is starting to remind me of the Burnt Church fishing dispute all over again.  Different circumstances on the surface but the same underlying **** when you begin to scratch a little.

I can see the same thing happening out west if they try to push the endbridge pipeline to quickly.

Seeing Facebook posts about the RCMP halting traffic on the Canso Causeway to keep Natives on Cape Breton. Might be slightly biased posts, but I did see a highway cam shot from earlier that showed traffic awfully backed up.

Lightguns said:
I wonder how many PAL holders are in the group?

that Molotov cocktails have been thrown at police and at least five RCMP vehicles have been destroyed by fire.  Police are also investigating suspected explosive devices at the scene

Are firebombs considered restricted or prohibited?

(Sounds like a charge of using a WMD to me)

Apparently protestors have the Trans Canada shut down both ways in the Perth Andover area and the Mactaquac area....soooo not looking forward to work tonight...

Hope those don't turn violent too...

If they keep the highways blocked, can the welfare cheques still get through?

They are not blocking their town. This natives from reserve 10 miles up the road and Acadians from Richibuto blocking an Anglo town of Rexton.  So welfare and EI and band funds are delivered on time.

Is it my imagination, or does the presence of the Warriors automatically mean violence?

No it is not. Remember how upset the general public got when we mentioned them and domestic terror in the same para. I got picture of a dozen them around a fire dressed in surplus US army woodland cam with black jump boots and boonie hats. They act more like gang bangers than warriors.

Seeing the photos of those six parked RCMP vehicles all in flames has me wondering why the Government does not do what they would do to any other Canadian citizen for such a crime.  Why not garnish the monies that the Government is giving those Bands to buy replacement vehicles?  Seriously, if they want to be destructive, make them pay. 

And they have the nerve to call upon the United Nations complaining about their treatment by the ROC.  Silly people.  If you spit on the hand that feeds you, do you expect to be treated with respect?

Wait for it. Nemo, expert on fracking, sneaky beaky stuff and general conspiracy theories, will be along soon to tell us that the cop cars spontaneously combusted or that agent provocateurs were responsible.

Why not garnish the monies that the Government is giving those Bands to buy replacement vehicles?  Seriously, if they want to be destructive, make them pay. 
Because a chunk of the left of center leaning population of this country believes that such action is justified and violence only brought on by the arrival of the RCMP. :facepalm:

Robert0288 said:
Because a chunk of the left of center leaning population of this country believes that such action is justified and violence only brought on by the arrival of the RCMP. :facepalm:

:goodpost:

Robert0288 said:

Of course they do.  They are rather hypocritical though.  They are all using transportation of some sort to get to these protests: car, bus, train or plane.  All relying on the resources that the Petrochemical Industry has given them: transportation, the synthetic clothes they wear, the containers they put their petrochemical fire bomb ingredients in, the lighters they use to light their Molotov cocktails, etc.  The irony of it is really amusing.

Of course these can not be religious folk either, as there is no justifiable reason here to be violent.  That leaves little other than Anarchists.  Which means, like the most of the other OCCUPY MOVEMENT types, they are professional protestors, bent on destroying our way of life, not bettering it.......Does that not justify the Police arriving and restoring ORDER?

To use someone else's words:  I don't think many of them know what the frack they are talking about.

Back