• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Artillery Capbadge

Petard

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Royal Canadian Artillery units are adopting a new cap badge as of 26 May 2016; the attachment has more info

Attachments

• RCA Cap Badge Update (2006) Plan.pdf
    325.5 KB · Views: 842
All other members of the RCA [who do not pay dues to the regimental fund] entitled to wear the RCA metal cap badge will be required to obtain their own replacement cap badge within the grace period provided.
That was nice of someone in the military to have decided this is so important that soldiers will pay out of thier own pockets so the approval process could be expidited.  I guess you probably don't have to ask treasury board if you order soldiers to spend thier money.

MCG and I rarely agree when it comes to the button and bows issues because, unlike him, I do see the benefit of customs changing even when it costs either the crown or the individual a few bucks. Every tradition and every custom of the service has to have a first day at some point in time.

On this one however I stand with MCG.

It's not that as an older gunner I do not want to see any change to what was my tradition.

The problem that I see here is that the changes are so minute and picayune that one almost needs a magnifying glass to see what they are. IMHO one should not expend money (public or private) on a change in buttons and bows unless it makes a significant statement. This change fails the test in a big way.

:cheers:

I would love to be there when someone gets jacked up for the wrong capbadge because the grass is not "noticeably thicker".

You may not have boots, you may not have a camouflage uniform that can hide the type and colour of your undergarments, and the grass may not be greener, but at least it will be "noticeably thicker" on the cap badge. Oh, by the way, pay up, that thicker grass doesn't pay for itself!

/sarcasm

This is all about a 2006 cap badge?

It took 10 years to settle and "issue" them? What are they, boots?

There goes my idea that they couldn't make you buy issue kit. Going to need to reread the regs.

Wel, I for one am glad the Artillery finally settled the cap badge debacle. Now they can get back to other things.

Like Guns.

And Air Defence.

And doctrine....

SeaKingTacco said:
Wel, I for one am glad the Artillery finally settled the cap badge debacle. Now they can get back to other things.

Like Guns.

And Air Defence.

And doctrine....

Don't forget to add there the beret color ! lol

I want to know about the money chain - who is profitting from this?

Loachman said:
I want to know about the money chain - who is profitting from this?

Hmmm. When I was a recruit in the RCA Depot, our course NCOs collected so much from us that was used to buy the regimental accoutrements we were presented on our graduation parade. In the regiments we purchased replacements, especially for our lanyards, from the Maple Leaf Services, a non-military, arms length, organization that operated the canteens and remitted a percentage of the profit to the regimental fund.

My reading is that somebody or somebodies wanted to have a different cap badge from the Royal Artillery, but didn't have the cajones to come up with something that would have been really distinctive. I also feel they realized any attempt to discard our current badge would have been shot down by a regimental-wide revolt. To spot the differences at a glance, it seems too me, would take the forensic sophistication of the crazy PhD lady on Bones.

Given the current tendency to go back to our historic and memorable British past (sarcasm) is the 2006 badge the same as the current Royal Artillery cap badge?

Old Sweat: 
Maple Leaf Services, a non-military, arms length, organization that operated the canteens and remitted a percentage of the profit to the regimental fund.

Wasn't MLS run by retired General that's why there was only small profits were distr?  ;D

Rifleman62 said:
Old Sweat: 
Wasn't MLS run by retired General that's why there was only small profits were distr?  ;D

I can't recall who ran it. We all had the belief/notion it was not very efficient. MLS certainly did not survive integration.

Happy Guy said:
Given the current tendency to go back to our historic and memorable British past (sarcasm) is the 2006 badge the same as the current Royal Artillery cap badge?

I think so, although there were variations in the colour, metal, etc. Certainly the post-Korea badge was identical for all intents and purposes. In that regard, one should recall that the Second World War gunners considered RA and RCA units were interchangeable, and there were airborne units co-manned by British and Canadian gunners. I have seen a statement from that era to the effect that there was one regiment, not two. Canadians attended courses at the Royal School of Artillery and Brits went to the Canadian School of Artillery at Seaford.

The picture is small, but it looks different here:  http://www.army.mod.uk/artillery/artillery.aspx

MCG said:
The picture is small, but it looks different here:  http://www.army.mod.uk/artillery/artillery.aspx

Indeed, but I have framed prints of both the RCHA and RCA badges at home. In the print the RCA badge also is coloured. Sorry I am at present in Amarilo, TX, so I can't assess it. Also I am unable to look at the horribly faded cloth badges on my old berets, but they were multi-coloured.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone would actually notice the difference in passing.  Why not simply do this by attrition (i.e. simply start issuing the new badge as new personnel join and others need replacements).  This is how it has normally been done in the past for such minor changes.  When the Navy decided that officers' cap badges needed to have silver instead of gold anchors, it took awhile, but everybody managed to change in time and it was no big deal.  No one issued an op order on the issue...

Ah! Pusser, you just don't understand how the Army works: You don't do anything without an Opord followed by an "O" Group  ;D .

So aside from the grass not being mowed as frequently, shorter trail, and the thicker and shorter rammer/swab and some font changes...the thing that sticks out to me (when I use a microscope) is that the cannon's barrel no longer is slightly conical with thicker breach and narrower muzzle, but apparently purely cylindrical -- is that how cannons are really made?  ??? 

Seems the Corps got all the minutae right, but pooped the bed on the configuration/design of the actual object of its business...

Well done, RCA!

:-\

Back