• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New ‘poly’ uniform dress for Army females

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
Ironically, it looks like a flight attendant uniform with ranks.  Apparently the RAAF and RAN have something like this as well.

‘Polys’ will soon include a dress option for women after a successful six-month uniform trial, which ended on 31 July.

Modelled on RAAF VIP aircrew uniforms, cut from a light-stretch fabric in garrison brown and produced by Farage, the dress is short-sleeved, scoop-necked and knee-length, styled with a black belt and court shoes.

“Feedback has been overwhelmingly positive,” trial participant Major General Kathryn Toohey said.

“The dress is a contemporary style and fit, providing Army women a choice for their dress of the day.”The uniform aligns with options recently introduced in the other services – Navy’s in black and RAAF’s in navy.

Colours considered for Army included forest green, similar to previous Army dresses, and Army’s corporate colour – red.

The trial was carried out with 17 Canberra-based participants and another in Sydney, ranging from corporal to major general across full-time and Reserve service.

“It’s a good step forward for Army, giving women the option of a dress,” participant Colonel Melanie Cochbain said.

“It’s a professional-looking uniform that allows women to be feminine while maintaining their corporate identity as soldiers or officers.”

Ranks on the garment are worn on epaulettes for officers and other ranks.

No breast pockets mean there are no lanyards and, during the trial, members had the option of wearing their ribbon bars to confirm what accoutrements are finally worn with the dress.

“I enjoy being the master of my own destiny when it comes to the embellishments I wear,” Colonel Cochbain said.

“Usually I just have my nametag and rank for day-to-day use, but if I have a meeting with someone external to the organisation, I will wear my other embellishments.”

The Army general-duty dress will be available for issue from January 2021.

army_general_duty_dress.jpg

https://www.contactairlandandsea.com/2020/08/18/new-poly-uniform-dress-for-army-females/

It gives women an option other than mis-shapen slacks and shirts.  If it’s something that servicewomen appreciate, why not?  Good on the ADF for being contemporarily responsive.

Good2Golf said:
It gives women an option other than mis-shapen slacks and shirts.  If it’s something that servicewomen appreciate, why not?  Good on the ADF for being contemporarily responsive.

Absolutely.

Good2Golf said:

Maybe something the CAF can look at too then? 

Good2Golf said:

Not against the idea, but the execution of it. I don`t know much about tailoring, but I think they can do much better than that.

Colin P said:
Not against the idea, but the execution of it. I don`t know much about tailoring, but I think they can do much better than that.

How so?  It appears functional.  Seems to have positive feedback from servicewomen. 

What would you deem needs to be ‘better’?

Good2Golf said:
How so?  It appears functional.  Seems to have positive feedback from servicewomen. 

What would you deem needs to be ‘better’?
Doesn't matter what the ADF women think, a man has declared it looks like a potato sack so that's all that matters.

This is the way.

Dimsum said:
Maybe something the CAF can look at too then?
Nah, our stuff fits like garbage on every gender so we're completely inclusive.

Reactions: AKa
garb811 said:
Doesn't matter what the ADF women think, a man has declared it looks like a potato sack so that's all that matters.

This is the way.

A man cannot have an opinion?

Jarnhamar said:
A man cannot have an opinion?

You have obviously not been asked the trick question by a significant other, "does this make my ass look big" - there is only one answer and must be given unequivocally and without hesitation.

I shudder when i think of the garbage we fostered onto the females in the forces back in the 70-80's I swear the designers hated women. This dress for me is something I would consider as a "Dress uniform" so there are 3 primary goals, It must look professional, it must be comfortable and it should enhance the wearer. At best this design may achieve the comfort criteria.

As for the male opinion comment, how 20th century of you. In this day and age, many men wear dresses and take pride in it and I am not just talking about the Scottish regiments.  8) 

garb811 said:

This is the way.

Speaking of which the new season of "the Mandalorian" should be on in the next month or so.

No arguing about potato sacks and dresses on that show.

Blackadder1916 said:
You have obviously not been asked the trick question by a significant other, "does this make my ass look big" - there is only one answer and must be given unequivocally and without hesitation.

Is the right answer "it isn't the dress that makes your ass look big...it is your ass that makes your ass look big'?

Asking for a friend who thinks he is funny.....and it turns out he is not....

#monogamyisthenewcelibacy

Oh, its a bigger trick then you think.    Before they even ask, they know it makes the ass look fat,....they just wanna' know if you got the stones to tell them.
Bottom [giggidy] line, if they ask you, then they aren't wearing it anyway......

Blackadder1916 said:
You have obviously not been asked the trick question by a significant other, "does this make my *** look big" - there is only one answer and must be given unequivocally and without hesitation.

I have never been asked that. I might be the only man in the world in that respect.

Back