• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NET (T) tactical?

Cyriz

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all, just curious on this trade.

I applied last year with 2 of my selections being NET(C) and NWT. My recruiting center told me the trades had been amalgamated as something along the lines of 'Naval Combat Systems Tech' and that is what was put down as my selection. He was unfamiliar with the trade as it was new.  Got an offer today for the trade NET(tactical). I have not heard of this before, anyone have any knowledge of what this trade entails?

All the NET and NWT trades are being amalgamated in Sept.  You will be a Weapons Engineering Technician in the end.  You'll get to have some contact with all the different combat systems equipment before eventually specializing in one area.

The trade amalgamation is not happening until Sept 2011.

NE Tech (Tactical) have three sub-specialties of sorts - radar, EW (electronic warfare) and FC (Fire Control).  Radar repairs the surface and air search radars.  EW repairs the CANEWS system, electronic intercept gear, and direction finding equipment.  FC repairs the STIR fire control radars.

If you were recruited as a NET(T), you'd likely be earmarked for the Radar subcomponent of the new trade, but you'd still have the apprentice program to go through which would be common to both the old trade and the new one.  The new one just exposes you to everyone's equipment, not just the radar equipment.  That is, you'd work on Comm and Sonar gear too as an apprentice.

I thought it was something along those lines, sounds good. Thanks for the info

Occam said:
The trade amalgamation is not happening until Sept 2011.

NE Tech (Tactical) have three sub-specialties of sorts - radar, EW (electronic warfare) and FC (Fire Control).  Radar repairs the surface and air search radars.  EW repairs the CANEWS system, electronic intercept gear, and direction finding equipment.  FC repairs the STIR fire control radars.

If you were recruited as a NET(T), you'd likely be earmarked for the Radar subcomponent of the new trade, but you'd still have the apprentice program to go through which would be common to both the old trade and the new one.  The new one just exposes you to everyone's equipment, not just the radar equipment.  That is, you'd work on Comm and Sonar gear too as an apprentice.

Eh, I think it's more likely that they recruited him as an NET(T) because the new trade doesn't exist yet, and they have to enroll him as something but it doesn't really matter what current trade they pick for him. He'll still be going through the entire W Eng trade progression, and will be selected for his final trade after his LS Rank Qual board, a few years down the road.

You mean people who are currently being recruited as one of the NET sub-trades aren't being given any assurances that they'll be given the same trade after the "LS Rank Qual board", whatever that is?

Doesn't sound fair to me.  Sig Ops, LCIS Techs and Linemen are getting assurances that they'll stay on the path they were recruited under for the new ACISS trade...

Occam said:
You mean people who are currently being recruited as one of the NET sub-trades aren't being given any assurances that they'll be given the same trade after the "LS Rank Qual board", whatever that is?

Doesn't sound fair to me.  Sig Ops, LCIS Techs and Linemen are getting assurances that they'll stay on the path they were recruited under for the new ACISS trade...

Well, the thing is, it's pretty much only the Comm techs that stay the same. You can't tell an Acoustic tech that, don't worry, you'll still be an acoustic tech, when acoustic techs don't exist any more, and the new Sonar trade now has other kit to deal with as well (notably Torpedos). Likewise, the same thing happened for existing NETs and NWTs. They submitted their top three choices for the new trades, and some people didn't get their top pick. Not all NWTs could become Armament, etc. It depended upon your choices, the slots available, your supervisor's recommendation, and the level of required delta training. That having been said, the majority of people seem pleased with what they've been given.

As for the new people getting in, well, half the reason we underwent this change is so that personnel picking their trade can do so when they have a better understanding of what each job actually entails. Giving assurances now to folks that "don't worry, you'll stay a radar tech" kind of defeats that purpose.

I went looking for the new OC SPEC on the DIN yesterday, and it shows last modification of 30 Mar 11, but it's not on the OC SPEC website for downloading. 

This probably means that the original poster will be recruited as a NET(T) and when the trigger is pulled for the new trade amalgamation, he'll morph into a Weapons Engineering Technician at the apprentice level, and be trained on a spectrum of CSE Equipment from Nav Radar to the Gyro Distribution System (Nav DDS) to the Torpedo cranes, 57mm gun misfire crew, SHINCOM system, etc. 

Once he's completed the Apprentice level training and his shipboard OJT Package, he'll move on to the LS Rank Qualification Package, which will have him job-shadow and assist technicians from each of the 4 technical trades (Comm, Tact, Acoustic, and Weapons) completing a series of training modules on the ship focused on equipment from each trade.

On completion of that package, he'll be ready for employment in the fleet, and will be given a chance to have input into which of the 4 specialties he will be placed for further training and employment. when the time comes for his advanced technical and specialization training at CFNES.

At that point, he will be a Weapons Engineering (SONAR, RADAR, ARMAMENT, or COMM)

Does that make sense?

NS

NavyShooter said:
I went looking for the new OC SPEC on the DIN yesterday, and it shows last modification of 30 Mar 11, but it's not on the OC SPEC website for downloading. 

This probably means that the original poster will be recruited as a NET(T) and when the trigger is pulled for the new trade amalgamation, he'll morph into a Weapons Engineering Technician at the apprentice level, and be trained on a spectrum of CSE Equipment from Nav Radar to the Gyro Distribution System (Nav DDS) to the Torpedo cranes, 57mm gun misfire crew, SHINCOM system, etc. 

Once he's completed the Apprentice level training and his shipboard OJT Package, he'll move on to the LS Rank Qualification Package, which will have him job-shadow and assist technicians from each of the 4 technical trades (Comm, Tact, Acoustic, and Weapons) completing a series of training modules on the ship focused on equipment from each trade.

On completion of that package, he'll be ready for employment in the fleet, and will be given a chance to have input into which of the 4 specialties he will be placed for further training and employment. when the time comes for his advanced technical and specialization training at CFNES.

At that point, he will be a Weapons Engineering (SONAR, RADAR, ARMAMENT, or COMM)

Does that make sense?

NS

Nope. You missed Fire Control. Other than that it seems accurate.

Back