• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NET SEP and beyond

dodgeball21

Inactive
Reaction score
I am a current grad from a community college and have been a member of the program since last September. My BMQ date is coming up in September and I have a speculated completion date of December 10th.

What can I expect after bmq? Some say that I will go directly into ships training and be posted to a ship and others say that I will have more trade specific training come January 2011 but I dont ever seem to get a direct answer of what beyond December 10th will look like.

FYI: My trade as it stands right now is Tactical Radar, though I have heard this can change once I am trained up to a certain level depending on my skill base and demand of Techs in the system.

Also is it feasable to believe that I could post onto a ship heading to the gulf in June/July and have both my training completed as well as be involved with the ships work-ups?

dodgeball21 said:
I am a current grad from a community college and have been a member of the program since last September. My BMQ date is coming up in September and I have a speculated completion date of December 10th.

What can I expect after bmq? Some say that I will go directly into ships training and be posted to a ship and others say that I will have more trade specific training come January 2011 but I dont ever seem to get a direct answer of what beyond December 10th will look like.

FYI: My trade as it stands right now is Tactical Radar, though I have heard this can change once I am trained up to a certain level depending on my skill base and demand of Techs in the system.

Also is it feasable to believe that I could post onto a ship heading to the gulf in June/July and have both my training completed as well as be involved with the ships work-ups?

From what I've gathered thus far, as soon as you're done BMQ you're shipped off to Esquimalt and put on a PAT platoon until you're course loaded for your 5 week training course (Which I think you can do while on pat) and your trade course. Once that's completed you're assigned to a ship on either the west or the east coast. If i'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

EpicBeardedMan said:
From what I've gathered thus far, as soon as you're done BMQ you're shipped off to Esquimalt and put on a PAT platoon until you're course loaded for your 5 week training course (Which I think you can do while on pat) and your trade course. Once that's completed you're assigned to a ship on either the west or the east coast. If i'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

This doesn't sound right on a couple of levels:

If coming in from NCM-SEP, the next step is an equipment phase - which is much longer than 5 weeks, no matter how you slice it.  280 class to the west coast, CPF to the east.  The five weeks you're talking about is probably closer to 25.

Occam said:
This doesn't sound right on a couple of levels:

If coming in from NCM-SEP, the next step is an equipment phase - which is much longer than 5 weeks, no matter how you slice it.  280 class to the west coast, CPF to the east.  The five weeks you're talking about is probably closer to 25.

I could be wrong, but I think he might have been referring to NETP when mentioning a "5 week training course" and not the actual NET trades course.

Stacked said:
You have to do the NEIP and NETP is what my father told me when I asked him about it.. (PO2 NCIOP)
Naval Environment Indoction Program or something.. and the Naval Environment Training Program, the NETP is a 5 week course you must do to be a qualified sailor and the NEIP is a package you do to familiarize yourself with a ship from what I understand.

That sounds more like it.  The NEIP sounds like what used to be known as OSUT (Ordinary Seaman Under Training).

Occam said:
That sounds more like it.  The NEIP sounds like what used to be known as OSUT (Ordinary Seaman Under Training).

I had the impression that NETP was similar to the old OSQAB, and that NEIP was something they were doing to keep the PATs in Esquimalt occupied.

Stacked said:
You have to do the NEIP and NETP is what my father told me when I asked him about it.. (PO2 NCIOP)
Naval Environment Indoction Program or something.. and the Naval Environment Training Program, the NETP is a 5 week course you must do to be a qualified sailor and the NEIP is a package you do to familiarize yourself with a ship from what I understand.

This is great info, thanks for everyones reply.

I was hoping that things would go in this type of direction, though it is a bit unnerving to not have direct military training on the ships systems before I post to a ship, I am sure the system is setup to be learned with the base electronics knowledge that we learned in civi school.

Stacked said:
You will have systems training before you are on a ship. You need to do the NETP and NEIP to become qualified, but you won't be posted to a ship until after your trade training (QL3)

You see this is where it gets confusing.. QL3 for me I believe will be 60 months in halifax, but because of the program (2 years of electronics and instrumentation in college) changes things a bit.

So my previous question which is the one I seem to be having a hard time getting my head around is do I do a full version of my tech training with the navy (QL3's) or do I do a portion that is specific to the military equipment or do I go straight to ship and learn on the job or ..... other?

Any of the above is just great, I will never complain of getting more training I am just trying to get my head around my timelines for the next year or so and how it will affect my family.

It seems to be tough to get a straight answer about the way the program is set up and definite answers are hard to come by as it doesn't seem to be a very popular way of building a career (only 3 of us in western canada last year at the briefing in january  :)

If anyone does have definite answers or a direction to find those answers without causing a ruckus that would be great, if not thats cool we will just roll with it and enjoy the ride.

Cheers and thanks again

dodgeball21 said:
You see this is where it gets confusing.. QL3 for me I believe will be 60 weeks in halifax, but because of the program (2 years of electronics and instrumentation in college) changes things a bit.

So my previous question which is the one I seem to be having a hard time getting my head around is do I do a full version of my tech training with the navy (QL3's) or do I do a portion that is specific to the military equipment or do I go straight to ship and learn on the job or ..... other?

Any of the above is just great, I will never complain of getting more training I am just trying to get my head around my timelines for the next year or so and how it will affect my family.

It seems to be tough to get a straight answer about the way the program is set up and definite answers are hard to come by as it doesn't seem to be a very popular way of building a career (only 3 of us in western canada last year at the briefing in january  :)

If anyone does have definite answers or a direction to find those answers without causing a ruckus that would be great, if not thats cool we will just roll with it and enjoy the ride.

Cheers and thanks again

dodgeball21 said:

I answered this question for you earlier.  Right after BMQ, you'll go on equipment training.  Initially it'll be equipment common to all classes of ship (Common Equipment Phase), and then eventually you'll attend class of ship training on either CPF or 280 equipment.  Also called a class package.  CPF class training is in Hfx, while 280 class training is in Esq.  It's been a while since I've seen any information on it, but expect it to be in the area of six months for all the equipment training.

Occam said:
I answered this question for you earlier. 

;D

So often the case.  People aren't paying attention. 

You may have to send him/her a special "for you only" PM. 

George Wallace said:
;D

So often the case.  People aren't paying attention. 

You may have to send him/her a special "for you only" PM.

Thanks guys,

There will be no need for a special "for you only" PM unfortunatley got hung up on a single response and tuned out everything else as I was focused on my response to the individual.

Cheers

Back