• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Neptune's Notes

Try searching for "Notes for Naval Officers," which was the actual title of this much maligned book.  It's a good read and actually has some good advice in it.  Unfortunately, too many people took it out of context.  It was written in a different era when life in the Navy and in Canadian society in general was somewhat different.  Take it for what it is.  It's a look at our past with some advice that still holds true (the guide to the ideal length of a port visit is still spot on).  Just don't treat it as a step by step manual on how to run your life.

No luck here either after a long and disappointing google search.

Frankly, I'm shocked that none of our fellow sailors scanned a pdf of this. The search continues..

Sorry about that.  I couldn't find it either.  I'll have to see if I can dig up my copy and maybe post some of it here.

I'm extremely interested in getting a hold of a copy of this, as a (hopefully) future MARS Officer.

If anyone in Victoria/Esquimalt has a copy but isn't able to (or interested in) scanning/typing it up, I'll also offer my services. Especially since I'm just sitting around waiting for the government to call me back regarding a contract job anyways.

Rhibwolf said:
Gino, i dont think that the pub itself is ethical, but, man, it is one hell of a read. 
God, to think I used to be that way when I was just a RhibPup.......

How can it be unethical?  It may be inappropriate in the modern navy, because it espouses an outdated approach to some things, but it is in no way unethical.  Yes, it gives tips on picking up girls (sort of), but it does NOT encourage things like spiking drinks, lying or acting in any way other than as a perfect gentleman.  In fact, it emphasizes polite, gentlemanly behaviour in all situations.

It was the "dish" (referring to a young lady at a cocktail party) comments that brought the issue to the fore and had "Neptune's Notes" lambasted in the press back in the early 90s.  In fact, the emphasis in that part of the book was again that gentlemen officers should treat all ladies with respect.  We have to remember that this was written in a different time with different values.  This was a time when society as a whole divided men and women into distinctly different roles.  If were going to condemn Neptune's Notes, we should also be campaigning to have "Mad Men" taken off the air because of the way it portrays women.  The fact that that is the way women were treated in the 1960s corporate world would be irrelevant.

With a great deal of pleasure I managed to find a copy of this in pdf from the HMCS Venture website.
I'm not sure if this is the best version, but it seems to be the best we've got so far.
http://www.hmcsventure.com/Venture_NeptuneNotes.pdf
Hopefully someone has a better version if this is the "new" one.
It's still a decent read though.

That looks like the version I got issued at NOTC nearly 20 years ago although the font has been updated so it may have been re-typed.

This looks like it's been abbreviated.  No mention of port visits.

I too would like a copy, if and when something gets scanned - and would be willing to scan/type up from hardcopy in Vic.

quadrapiper said:
I too would like a copy, if and when something gets scanned - and would be willing to scan/type up from hardcopy in Vic.

*Hint* see reply # 26

Great find and certainly a good read..

...Still a step away from the real deal however. While looking through it, all I could think about was what a previous poster stated- Venture bowed to pressure years back and created a second (more PC) edition of Neptune's Notes (this one) which had many of its more colourful chapters gutted and much of its realistically salty language "updated". Typical move, but disappointing none the less.

I'm beginning to think a dogeared paper copy (gasp, not .pdf) might be my only option.

Grinton said:
With a great deal of pleasure I managed to find a copy of this in pdf from the HMCS Venture website.
I'm not sure if this is the best version, but it seems to be the best we've got so far.
http://www.hmcsventure.com/Venture_NeptuneNotes.pdf
Hopefully someone has a better version if this is the "new" one.
It's still a decent read though.

Thanks for the upload Grinton.  ;D

Alright, so I've sent out a bunch of emails to various museums (I'll let you know if they find anything) and I've searched countless university libraries and the NDHQ library and still have not found anything.  Which means that the only place ;eft for someone to find a copy is buried in their basement.  SaddlyI'm the first in my familly to join the CF so I know there's nothing in my basement, but maybe some of you can find something?

edit: I have located an original copy written by a man named Grubb and will be turning it into a pdf.  I won't be able to immediately, but hopefuly by christmas.

Awesome job!

Sounds like Grinton has dug up the real deal, that name Grubb rings a bell for some reason.

It would be much appreciated if you dropped me a PM once you get it all scanned into .pdf (I'd love to be more help, but I'm currently EC).

I found this document in an e-mail from the NOA. It was described as the replacement for Neptune's Notes. It certainly is more updated.

Sailorwest said:
I found this document in an e-mail from the NOA. It was described as the replacement for Neptune's Notes. It certainly is more updated.

Definitely more relevant to today's navy, especially regarding female sailors, and should be read by all subbies doing their OOD package... that said it isn't quite the historical Neptune's Notes we're after (being the 3rd edition of the document; for 2nd edition see post #26).

A quick update, after having been in contact with the Esquimalt naval museum, they have a copy and have produced a digital version which will be on their website shortly.  I have read through it and while it is not quite the version we're looking for, it is closer.  It's also a very fun read.

On a side note, thank you SailorWest, I read the document you have at the bottom of your post and it was very well done.  I reccomend it to everyone else here as a similar document that is quite enjoyable.

http://www.hmcsventure.com/Venture_NeptuneNotes.pdf is very similar to the copy I now have.  I only have a paper copy, and includes these 46 pages, a chapter on port visits, and an impressive annex of naval terms and a sample joining letter.  It is definitely not politically correct. 

and here one will find an article on port visits in the Naval Review from 1976 that is in my copy of Neptunes Notes
http://www.naval-review.co.uk/issues/1976-3.pdf

and here again on page 50
http://www.adfjournal.adc.edu.au/UserFiles/issues/6%201977%20Sep_Oct.pdf

First turn of the screw cancels all debts.

Back