• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NCM SEP (T)

RMS13

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi I was just sworn in a month ago and Im wondering if the career profile of the NCM SEP can change while Im going to school and whether or not I will be entitled to lets say the Acting Leading Seaman promotion that is currently offered if it does change. Also Im wondering if theres anyway I can be guaranteed this promotion? Thanks for any clarification or information

RMS13 said:
Hi I was just sworn in a month ago and Im wondering if the career profile of the NCM SEP can change while Im going to school and whether or not I will be entitled to lets say the Acting Leading Seaman promotion that is currently offered if it does change. Also Im wondering if theres anyway I can be guaranteed this promotion? Thanks for any clarification or information

Guaranteed a promotion.  Surely you jest.

Currently that is the policy. Of course sometimes things change. My question is why the concern? You need to understand your job and what happens on a ship before your given responsibility.

I'd go out on a limb and say that if the policy were to be changed somewhere down the road, you'd be grandfathered under the old policy, as that's what you signed on the dotted line under.  As FDO stated, the promotion to Acting Leading Seaman is automatic upon graduation from college.

ok thanks I was only doubting it because I saw someone post on one of these forums that something along the lines of that happening to him, and i searched on google and found horror stories of peoples terms changing. That along with the job description on Forces.ca not including the promotion anymore had me worried that the entire program would change on me. Thank you for the reassurance and yes I have no problem learning any of the technical jobs that are available or required of me and about the ship as well as taking the tests first to prove my worthiness of the rank

When you are enrolled you sign a contract that states how much schooling you are to get, what pay rate and what trade. It's all laid out very clearly and it's supposed to be explained to you. That's why we do the Pre-enrolment brief (PEB). What happens a lot of the time is people are told one thing and actually hear another. Its like playing that telephone game where you pass on something and by the time it gets back its completly different. I see that a lot here. We tell people what to expect and they come back with something way out to lunch. Or they talked to a friend (who is NOT in the CF) and are told something else. It is very frustrating.

Occam is correct, if you are given a contract the CF will honour it. We had people who started the application process when the trade they wanted had a Recruiting bonus. Part way through the process the rules changed and the bonus was removed, however, because they started the process when it was in effect they still got it.

Fear not whatever was on your ETP message is what you'll get. A word to the wise. Even though you are going to wear the rank of a Leading Seaman don't forget that some of the Able Seaman have been in the Navy for 4 years and spent that time on a ship not a classroom 1000 miles away from salt water. Learn from them before you try to take charge of them!

Thanks for the wisdom, i was planning on befriending other technicians and leaving the orders to the officers. I know it sounds bad but to be honest i was actually concerned more about the pay at cpl than the power; but money isnt the only reason i joined the CF if thats what your thinking its just a larger salary is better

The money is good for an "entry level employee" with no experience. One of the cool things about this "job" is in the time I've been in my base pay has only gone up. So when you finish school a couple of cost of living raises will have occured which means that you will be making more money than you expect. Then you add Sea Duty/Field Duty allowance and it gets even better. However, you have to keep your marks up or your ULO can recommend your release! It may look like it but NCM SEP is NOT a free ride. (I know you know that but someone else may not)

Back