• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy to Army?

islandgirl84

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm hoping to get some advice.

Last year, I started the process of joining the Infantry (reservist). Went through all the steps, passed my fitness and aptitude, then had my physical and found out that because my eyesight is so poor (I wear contacts), I was not eligible to join the Infantry. They then suggested that I join the Navy instead. Fast forward a few months and I've now been enrolled in the Navy. It's alright but I find myself still wanting to be in the Infantry, or at least the Army.

I've tried contacting a few different people about this and it's hard to get a straight answer. I asked if I were to get laser surgery would I be eligible... I was told I would have to talk to a Medical Officer and then put in for a VOT. I have no idea what the consists of or how to go about doing it. I'm willing to get laser surgery, but surely there are also positions in the Army that wouldn't require it?

Would really appreciate some insight.

Welcome to Army.ca, islandgirl84

There are several threads here that will contain information that might be of use to you. Look for "Occupational Transfer" or "OT".

Your Reserve status will affect the procedure, but I am not the one to provide anything useful regarding that matter. There may be a thread that discusses Reserve OTs.

There is a lengthy vision thread at http://army.ca/forums/threads/432.0.html (you can swap "army" for "navy" in the URL if you prefer). I suggest that you take a look at that. Laser surgery is discussed.

The vision requirement depends upon one's occupation. If your heart is set on Infantry, you must meet the vision standard for Infantry. There are other Army occupations that have a lower vision standard, but they may not be available in the unit(s) close enough to you.

Take some time and explore this Site, perhaps starting with the stickied topics at the top of each forum. You'll likely find answers to questions that have not even occurred to you yet.

Back