• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy Speciality Specifications

Snakedoc

Inactive
Reaction score
MedCorps said:
Maritime Surface and Sub-Surface Officer
Ammunition Technical Officer
Basic Space Operations
IUSS Operations Watch Officer

Maritime Surface and Sub-Surface Office – Clearance Diver

Basic Space Operations
        Deployable Technical Analysis Laboratory Operator
        Deployable Technical Analysis Laboratory Supervisor
        Improvised Explosive Device Disposal Assistant
Improvised Explosive Device Disposal Operator
        Joint Improvised Explosives (HME) – Intermediate
Joint Improvised Explosives (HME) – Advanced
TECHINT Level 2 Exploitation Facility Investigator

Maritime Surface and Sub-Surface Officer – Software Programmer
Basic Space Operations

Maritime Surface and Sub-Surface Officer – Submarine

Basic Space Operations
Basic Submarine Qualification
        Submarine Towed Array Handling

Maritime Surface and Sub-Surface Officer – Surface Ship

Basic Space Operations

I found the specialty specifications list posted by MedCorps in another thread to be quite interesting, in particular the ones for MARS I quoted above.  Basic Space Operations is listed several times.  Out of curiousity, does anyone know what this is exactly as I havn't encountered it personally.

Also I noticed that there is a MARS-software programmer.  I also havn't heard of this and I'm assuming it is not like an IMD type of person?  Can anyone elaborate further on what these individuals do or what role they are involved in?

Snakedoc said:
Out of curiousity, does anyone know what this is exactly as I havn't encountered it personally.

I did it in 2007. It is just a basic intro to the space environment, satellite technologies and military applications.

Snakedoc said:
Also I noticed that there is a MARS-software programmer.  I also havn't heard of this and I'm assuming it is not like an IMD type of person?  Can anyone elaborate further on what these individuals do or what role they are involved in?

There is a small cadre of NCS Eng officers who work at the Combat Systems Software Support Centre in Halifax, which is run by Lockheed Martin.  They would be involved in software development for the various combat systems computers aboard HMC Ships.  They would be the ones with this particular OSQ.

Snakedoc said:
I found the specialty specifications list posted by MedCorps in another thread to be quite interesting, in particular the ones for MARS I quoted above.  Basic Space Operations is listed several times.  Out of curiousity, does anyone know what this is exactly as I havn't encountered it personally.

The Basic Space Operations Course is run by the RCAF.  It has been around for sometime (1988?) and the functional description reads:

Possession of this specialty will enable personnel to interpret CF space policy, assess space weapon systems threats, assess the feasibility of space-based systems to meet operational taskings and to advise on the strategy of employment and deployment of space-borne systems.

I suspect the expansion of the targeted MOSIDs and re-interest in the this course stems from the increased requirements for personnel with knowledge about space operations.  Space now has it's own Director General (DG Space) and they are creating quite the empire in terms of function, budget and personnel.  I have a buddy (Lt(N) - MARS officer) who was just posted over to that shop this APS and he mentioned he was going to have to take the course, not knowing much about space other then from watching Star Wars. 

Looks like an interesting course. I enjoyed the space topics when I did staff college.

MC

CFSAS actually teaches 2 space related courses.

- Space Applications course (1 week)
- Space Operations Course (3 weeks)

The 1 week course is aimed as PD while the 3 week course is aimed at personnel in or forecasted to be in space related positions.

Back