• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Reserves Officer Training

Walsingham

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

Recently I have been getting a lot of conflicting or outdated info regarding the training for naval reserve officers. I have read the forums, some say its at CFB Esquimalt, Borden, St Jean etc.
I read on Wikipedia that CFB Borden only trains NCM. Then on the forums some said CFB Borden closed its NRTD while on the official site for the Canadian Naval Reserves it said you could still go there and for the CFB Borden site (http://www.borden.forces.gc.ca/998/9/73-eng.asp) I am not sure what exactly "Part 2 of the Basic Military Qualification" is. The site said it was an eight week course.

So assume you got accepted and everything, where do you usually go to complete the basic officer military training for the soon to be naval reserve officers? After that where do you go for your trade training? Lets just use MARS for example.

Everything for MARS is generally done at the Naval Officer Training Centre in Esquimalt, BC.

yoman said:
Everything for MARS is generally done at the Naval Officer Training Centre in Esquimalt, BC.
Which is true... but if the OP was recently enrolled and is not now on his BMOQ then he is too late to do the course run at VEN this summer. His unit is probably looking at trying to send him on a Reg F BMOQ in St-Jean (room dependent). There is no longer a Naval Reserve BMQ for NCMs run at Borden; it is now being run at Valcartier.

In simple terms:

Year 1 = BMOQ and NETP-O at Venture

Year 2 = Occupation training

Year 3+ = further occupation training if needed

Log, Music, PAO, Chap take occupation training in Borden etc

MARS take training in Victoria

I know this might sound like a stupid question but you will be staying on base right as opposed to a hotel for instance?

Walsingham said:
I know this might sound like a stupid question but you will be staying on base right as opposed to a hotel for instance?

If you wanted a hotel you should have gone Airforce.  >:D

Seriously though, you'll stay on base.

Is it true you will have to take a french SLT course or something for MARS officers? MARS officer training is 2-3 years if I read correctly. Do many people want to become MARS officers? I do know there is the crazy failure rate everyone talks of. For a reserve naval officer, is any of the training any shorter than the regular force? So basically would you sign up as DEO for reserves, then get sent to Esquimalt for Basic Military Officer Training and then you get onto MARS training? Is your vision going to need to be very good? Or will glasses suffice? Thanks for answering all my questions so far!  :cdn:

Walsingham said:
Is it true you will have to take a french SLT course or something for MARS officers? MARS officer training is 2-3 years if I read correctly. Do many people want to become MARS officers? I do know there is the crazy failure rate everyone talks of. For a reserve naval officer, is any of the training any shorter than the regular force? So basically would you sign up as DEO for reserves, then get sent to Esquimalt for Basic Military Officer Training and then you get onto MARS training? Thanks for answering all my questions so far!  :cdn:

My info may be a bit dated, but:

Reservists do not take SLT. 

NAVRES MARS Training is the same as Reg Force until after MARS IV, where people split to go to their platforms. 

You need at least a V4 vision for MARS as I know from searching on the forums, but lets say you got a V5 vision but wear glasses, is that still okay or is simply being V5 without glasses is gonna screw up your chances of being anything that requires V4?

V4 is the minimum enrolment standard. You would be disqualified from enrolment if you were V5.

ModlrMike said:
V4 is the minimum enrolment standard. You would be disqualified from enrolment if you were V5.

So if you see V5 without glasses you are screwed. If you are V5 but wear glasses and can see V4 with them, you're good then?

Walsingham said:
So if you see V5 without glasses you are screwed. If you are V5 but wear glasses and can see V4 with them, you're good then?

::)

You had better be able to see better than V4 with corrective lenses.

It was a hypothetical question lol. Is there a particular demand for Mars officers in the reserves anyway? So Mars training is expected to take 3 years max? Then you come back and join whatever reserve unit you signed up for right? 

[quote author=Dimsum]
My info may be a bit dated, but:

Reservists do not may take SLT.  

NAVRES MARS Training is the same as Reg Force until after MARS IV, where people split to go to their platforms.
[/quote]

FTFY,

NCMs and Officers may take SLT, depending on seats available and
their type of position, current employment and career progression.
These opportunities are limited and competitive for PRes.

Walsingham said:
Is there a particular demand for Mars officers in the reserves anyway?

Well, Yeah!  Most Naval Reserve officers are MARS. The only other type of officer in the Nav Res are the Log officers, and they are a minority of the officers in any unit.

In the unlikely case where you bump into another type of officer at a Reserve unit, she/he is almost certainly a visitor, regular support staff or an ex-reg force officer who switched to the reserves.

Well, Yeah!  Most Naval Reserve officers are MARS.

By end of my time in the PRES, most new NAVRES officers were INT, either as MARS (trainee, usually) --> INT transfer, or as straight INT enrollment.  (In my own, local experience.)

There are currently six officer MOS within NavRes:

- MARS, as mentioned the largest
- Intelligence
- Logistics
- Public Affairs
- Band
- Chaplain

SLT may be taken but is not required for MARS officers right? Is the training (BMOQ/entire MARS course) conducted over the summer for reserves? Do Reserve MARS DEO require to sit through NOAB? Also will you be doing D level training in the 3rd(last) year of MARS training or is D level not part of MARS training? If not how long does D level training take? So all in all the whole training is a three year thing from BMOQ to D level training? Do you guys think Law or Medical school graduates might have an advantage in MARS?

Walsingham said:
SLT may be taken but is not required for MARS officers right? Is the training (BMOQ/entire MARS course) conducted over the summer for reserves? Do Reserve MARS DEO require to sit through NOAB? Also will you be doing D level training in the 3rd(last) year of MARS training or is D level not part of MARS training? If not how long does D level training take? So all in all the whole training is a three year thing from BMOQ to D level training? Do you guys think Law or Medical school graduates might have an advantage in MARS?
- You stand almost no chance of being loaded on an SLT. Perhaps once you're senior and posted to a bilingual position, but not for the first few years of your career.
- There is summer serials. If you can't get on those for whatever reason then there are also winter/fall serials (primarily for Reg F members, but the content is identical).
- As a NAVRES guy, your only D-level options are Nav and Coastal Ops. Typically you won't do those until you're a Lt(N) (i.e. five or six years in).
- The Nav D-level is four months. Coastal Ops is three modules running to about two months total.
- D-level training happens later. Your occupation's functional point is post-MARS IV with a BWK and an OOD qualification, which is what the typical three-year model gets you trained to.
- We have lots of law students in the MARS trade; I've seen a couple of med students. A graduate in law or medicine would probably be too busy to dedicate the time for the training, but if you're available then great. There's no particular advantage, however.

You'd probably have to go train in between jobs if you are too busy I guess. If I'd join MARS I would have to spend the three summers in Esquimalt living on the base/sea right?. So BMOQ/NETP-O and MARS takes 3 years then go back to your reserve unit and when you get promoted to Lt(N) you go for training, back to Esquimalt? After the BMOQ, MARS, D level is there ANY more training required for NAVRES officers to reach the rank of Lt Cdr?

If one is around 40 by the time they finish MARS do you think they'd still have a good chance of making it to Lt Cdr in the NAVRES one day or will it be very hard since there are many younger people with more "potential" or whatever. I'd like to serve my Queen (It'd be King once I am that old) and Country one day for around 10 years in NAVRES or even more if I can also balance with a busy civvie job like being a lawyer. It'd be hard but even on the NAVRES recruiting booklets and stuff it said NAVRES is drawn from many different kinds of people including lawyers. 

Btw thanks for the detailed answers!

Back