• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Officers Once Again to Wear the Executive Curl

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
3
Points
430
Old Sweat said:
The green uniform was actually introduced to the public circa 1966, which was before JV Allard becoming CDS. The actual architect is lost in the mists of time, but it probably originated in one of Paul Hellyer's circle of toadies advisers. It was a logical extension of the amendment to the NDA which came into effect at the end of February 1968 and grouped us all into a single service. Thus, it was planned before the act was passed and promulgated. Edit to add: Allard became CDS in mid-1966, but I still maintain the single service uniform had been unveiled before then. Could he have changed the decision to go for a single uniform? Probably not, even if he had wanted to. I still maintain it was a political decision.

Allard, who was a large officer, embraced it and appeared in a CF green dress uniform at one of the last ceremonial parades herld by 4 CMBG in North Germany before the move to Lahr and Baden. Suffice to say, he looked like a pale version of Idi Amin, or maybe a Franco Herman Goering. If that does not give you an indication of what I thought about the whole bloody thing, you have not been paying attention.

Gen.Allard also came to RCAF Station 4 Wing during this time period. He spoke to the members of the Junior Ranks club, all still wearing the old RCAF uniform, while wearing the new green uniform and a Sam Browne belt.

An image I will never forget.  :)
 

ctjj.stevenson

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Mia's Tailor Shop does produce very good shoulder boards. I have a set of Lieutenant(N) and the current Sub-Lieutenant for my mess kit jacket. That being said, seeing that I am still a subbie, I will have to wait until the decision will be made for the case of that rank before I purchase new sub-lieutenant shoulder boards.

Cheers!
 

MARS

Sr. Member
Mentor
Reaction score
111
Points
630
FSTO said:
It is being annouced at Battle of Atlantic Ceremonies in Halifax by Defence Minister McKay. The Navy will start wearing it during the International Fleet Review (Victoria June 9).

I have heard the same.  Also that initially, 268 officers across the three formations will be authorized to wear it.  This has something to do with getting the supply contract lined up and sufficient material in stock.  Further allocations would follow thereafter.
 

MSEng314

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
MARS said:
I have heard the same.  Also that initially, 268 officers across the three formations will be authorized to wear it.  This has something to do with getting the supply contract lined up and sufficient material in stock.  Further allocations would follow thereafter.

What is your source? Could you provide a link on the DIN?

I'm all for it, but I'm not going to get too excited about it until I hear something official.
 

andpro

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
MARS said:
I have heard the same.  Also that initially, 268 officers across the three formations will be authorized to wear it.  This has something to do with getting the supply contract lined up and sufficient material in stock.  Further allocations would follow thereafter.

Will it be authorized if you are not one of the 268 and you incur the cost yourself?
 

q_1966

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Well its about friggin time they brought it back.

God Save The Queen
 

ctjj.stevenson

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi everyone,

My contact at Logistik Unicorp has informed me of the following today:

1) The rank of the rank of sub-lieutenant will have the larger braid on the top, and the smaller one one the bottom.
2) The rank of naval cadet will remain the same.

He has informed me that the slip ons and shoulder boards will not be ready until June of this year.

I guess with this unofficial information, I will have a tunic prepared for the change and I will contact Mia's soon enough.

Cheers!
 

MSEng314

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ctjj.stevenson said:
Hi everyone,

My contact at Logistik Unicorp has informed me of the following today:

1) The rank of the rank of sub-lieutenant will have the larger braid on the top, and the smaller one one the bottom.
2) The rank of naval cadet will remain the same.

He has informed me that the slip ons and shoulder boards will not be ready until June of this year.

I guess with this unofficial information, I will have a tunic prepared for the change and I will contact Mia's soon enough.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info, can't wait!

Cheers!
 

Snakedoc

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
ctjj.stevenson said:
1) The rank of the rank of sub-lieutenant will have the larger braid on the top, and the smaller one one the bottom.

Quite interesting, thanks for the unofficial information.  This will take a while to get used to seeing!
 

gcclarke

Sr. Member
Reaction score
7
Points
230
Oooh I won the "guess the format of the new rank insignia" game. Or at least the options that I preferred have prevailed.
Still no word on flag ranks though, eh?
 

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1,029
Points
1,090
gcclarke said:
Oooh I won the "guess the format of the new rank insignia" game. Or at least the options that I preferred have prevailed.
Still no word on flag ranks though, eh?

Flag Officers are getting it as well. It will be the same as all other Commonwealth Navies rank insignia.
 

ekpiper

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Heh, yeah you won...and I was completely wrong!  It will take awhile to get used to seeing the inverted SLt rank, and I'm not going to try guessing about flag ranks.
 

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1,029
Points
1,090
ekpiper said:
Heh, yeah you won...and I was completely wrong!  It will take awhile to get used to seeing the inverted SLt rank, and I'm not going to try guessing about flag ranks.

Flag Ranks will look like this:
 

dimsum

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
3,264
Points
1,260
So, out of curiosity, will the flag ranks lose the leaves, etc on the shoulders of the tunic?
 

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1,750
Points
1,260
Soooooooooooo when do we in the lower decks get our old ranks back ?

RCNtrade4s.jpg


 

MARS

Sr. Member
Mentor
Reaction score
111
Points
630
Dimsum said:
So, out of curiosity, will the flag ranks lose the leaves, etc on the shoulders of the tunic?

If FSTO is correct, then yes, they would-should lose the shoulder leaves.
 

kratz

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
107
Points
880
Looks good FSTO, but while we know where Commodore fits into that, how would that rank look?
 

ekpiper

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
PencilTech,

That image isn't official CF.  I named it that just to distinguish it from the source image I borrowed from FSTO. 
 
Top