• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Officer Assessment Board

Thanks for the update, sallu. I trust that this is straight from a recruiter or some other rock solid source? I ask obviously because someone else just posted that the next NOAB was this month, although that did seem a tad unlikely.

YES, I got this info from Canadian Forces National Recruiting Contact Centre.

The next NOAB will be sitting from the following dates:
11-15 Jul 2011 and  3-7 Oct 2011.

guysletsdoit said:
My experiences with NOAB 1003 Esquimalt Oct 18-22nd 2010

This may seem like a very stupid question, But does the NOAB come after Basic officer training, or before you are accepted into the Forces?

The NOAB is the last application step before acceptance, you will find out on the last day of the NOAB if you have been accepted to the CF or not.  This all occurs before basic training.

The NOAB was a great experience. It's unfortunate that they are now discontinued. From what I understand assessments will occur at the local recruiting centre.

Jayson Wonder said:
The NOAB was a great experience. It's unfortunate that they are now discontinued. From what I understand assessments will occur at the local recruiting centre.
Interesting, will it be along the lines of an extended interview?

That I cannot confirm. I would think it may include the "MOST" (MARS Officer Skills Test) and maybe some other exposure to the life in the Navy but unless you are joining from one of the coast that will be pretty hard to do I would think.

Jayson Wonder said:
That I cannot confirm. I would think it may include the "MOST" (MARS Officer Skills Test) and maybe some other exposure to the life in the Navy but unless you are joining from one of the coast that will be pretty hard to do I would think.

I had suggested to the MARS career people that a virtual NOAB consisting of videos and such would be a good idea for ROTP students as they do not currently do NOAB. I hope they didn't decide to take my idea too seriously and apply it forces wide...

Sounds like someone is trying to save some $$$$ at the expense of not recruiting the right candidate....I wish this sort of a thing had existed when I enrolled in ROTP. I had to have a second and third choice according to my recruiter and stuck Sea Ops in as the latter, and that is what I got. Had I know what that entailed there is not a chance I would have inserted it to begin with, let alone be stuck in MARS for more than four years. The Navy in those days had a weird notion that one would eventually learn to like it and that those trying to get out were somehow lesser beings.  I seriously believe more than one officer I dealt with during my time at RMC liked jacking me and others round regarding reclass requests out of the Navy. I despised MARS II, and after rejection number one was told to do really well on MARS III if I wanted a reclass, which I did, and was promptly rejected for reclass a second time. I resubmitted a reclass memo on arrival at NOTC right before MARS IV common started and was forced to finish that course, plus another two months of MARS IV before someone finally got the hint I was NOT going to be associated with the Navy in any way.....shortly thereafter posted to Work Point Barracks and 3 PPCLI as the Assistant QM on OJT. What a colossal waste of my time, and scarce training resources. Never to this day do I understand why people in those days were forced into something they did not want to do from the get go or had little aptitude for.

I heard the next one is mars 16th 2012. Is there more than one  NOAB a year?

There are no more NOAB's.  The powers that be have decided to cancel this program.  I was talking to someone who organizes it over coffee yesterday at work and he told all of us young officers sitting in the gunroom that there wouldn't be any more NOABs.  If it is brought back it for sure will not be happening in the next week. Consider this direct from the horses mouth as I am sitting at the Naval Officer Training Centre where the NOABs take place.  It is sad since several people exclaimed how the NOAB solidified their choice for MARS and the interaction at NOAB and information you gain is interesting and allows a semi-proper career choice.

northernboy_24 said:
There are no more NOAB's.  The powers that be have decided to cancel this program.  I was talking to someone who organizes it over coffee yesterday at work and he told all of us young officers sitting in the gunroom that there wouldn't be any more NOABs.  If it is brought back it for sure will not be happening in the next week. Consider this direct from the horses mouth as I am sitting at the Naval Officer Training Centre where the NOABs take place.  It is sad since several people exclaimed how the NOAB solidified their choice for MARS and the interaction at NOAB and information you gain is interesting and allows a semi-proper career choice.

As a current applicant, this saddens me.

I guess I can't be all that shocked. It's a rather expensive program, one that honestly doesn't seem to have been all that good at weeding out people who wouldn't make it (my personal assessment based upon historical rates of people who actually make it through to their NOPQ [MARS Lt(N) Qualification] board), as well as one that in recent years we haven't needed all that much as a "draw" to increase recruitement (especially away from other elements).

gcclarke said:
I guess I can't be all that shocked. It's a rather expensive program, one that honestly doesn't seem to have been all that good at weeding out people who wouldn't make it (my personal assessment based upon historical rates of people who actually make it through to their NOPQ [MARS Lt(N) Qualification] board), as well as one that in recent years we haven't needed all that much as a "draw" to increase recruitement (especially away from other elements).

But...b-but... Expensive Throwing-up session isn't supposed to be part of the recruiting process for Pilots and MARS ?  :-[

F3m5h3p said:
But...b-but... Expensive Throwing-up session isn't supposed to be part of the recruiting process for Pilots and MARS ?  :-[

Throwing up session? The only throwing up that happened at my NOAB was due to extreme hung-over-ness.

gcclarke said:
Throwing up session? The only throwing up that happened at my NOAB was due to extreme hung-over-ness.

I tought I could get a little seasick for the sake of experiencing it, or something.  Get some Navy related ''badass'' (no I'm not this kind of person) souvenir (a clean clear bag) and memories (...), you know?  :-X

But still, DO WANT!  :nod:

Were there combat system engineers at your NOAB Mister gcclarke?

There were indeed a few. Including one poor soul who at the NOAB decided he wanted to be MARS instead of CSE. Losing his (at the time) $40,000 signing bonus in the proceed. And then later flunked out of MARS training, and eventually became a CSE, making Lt(N) a good 3 years after the rest of us.

Anyways, unless you're extremely motion sick, you're not going to get sea-sick on a day sail in the Straits of Georgia. Not enough motion to the ocean. And if you would get sick then... well, might I suggest the Army? :)

I recall a new MSEO U/T SLT a few years back. We were closed up at Action Stations (very calm) somewhere just outside Halifax harbour and he told a few of us that he was very susceptible to sea sickness and said he got sea sick on the ferry. When I asked if he meant the Port-aux-Basques ferry, he said "No, the Dartmouth ferry". I don't know what ever happenned to him!

I did the NOAB (or whatever it was called way back when) in the spring of 1981. The quota was '0' which makes you wonder why they bothered. I joined the following year as a METTP - and here I sit 'steaming a desk' in the Nation's Capitol using all that technical training and experience!!!

Back