• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Map Symbols: 1 Line Battleship?

NSDreamer

Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
  Hello again all,

I think my course O is trying to throw us for a loop with a trick question on this assignment. In the middle of a notional battle at New Market Ontario doing the map trace, there is instruction to put a one line battleship in Mussleman Lake. Can anyone direct me to a way to find a map symbol for it. All of my pams and aidememoires are focused on land based systems...as this is the army log course :-\

I have no idea if these are currently accurate. 

symbols.jpg

Better then nothing, thanks. I take it a battleship would probably be "surface"

You've got Occam's symbols: If the map scale is good enough, show the line by plotting the individual ships as Friendly Surface units, otherwise, use the Surface Group symbol.

BTW, you may want to ask your course O how the f**** he thinks you can ever get battleships on a lake. The most accessible lake system in the world is the Canadian/US Great Lakes system, using the St-Lawrence seaway, and there isn't a battleship from WW1 on that would fit in the locks or the system generally.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
You've got Occam's symbols: If the map scale is good enough, show the line by plotting the individual ships as Friendly Surface units, otherwise, use the Surface Group symbol.

BTW, you may want to ask your course O how the f**** he thinks you can ever get battleships on a lake. The most accessible lake system in the world is the Canadian/US Great Lakes system, using the St-Lawrence seaway, and there isn't a battleship from WW1 on that would fit in the locks or the system generally.

I think it's more of a "Lets throw this question out there to screw the Junior Officers up" thing.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Especially this lake as it appears to be:

a) land locked

b) about the size of a swimming pool

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?where1=Mussleman+Lake&FORM=LMIEMN

Did they mean this Battleship

battleship-yamato-japan.jpg

or this one

images

yes I'm bored

NSDreamer said:
I think it's more of a "Lets throw this question out there to screw the Junior Officers up" thing.

With a silent "while making myself look ridiculous" thrown in there....BZ.  ::)

The proper term is "chart symbology". No such thing as a "Naval Map". Sheesh. :)

FSTO said:
The proper term is "chart symbology". No such thing as a "Naval Map". Sheesh. :)

Hey, when that battleship is in a landlocked puddle and is on army maps, it becomes map symbology. You can take your charts and throw 'em in the ocean  :evil:

Oldgateboatdriver said:
BTW, you may want to ask your course O how the f**** he thinks you can ever get battleships on a lake. 

Didin't we pretty much invent portaging in this country ?

"Right lads, on the count of three..."

Bass ackwards said:
Didin't we pretty much invent portaging in this country ?

"Right lads, on the count of three..."

The Egyptians moved huge stones with logs underneath, you could do the same with a battleship although it might screw up the keel if you don't brace it properly

Back