• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Infantry

GrahamD

Inactive
Reaction score
I read somewhere (on the internet) about a naval infantry regiment which was supposedly "stood up" in 2000.

Is there really such a regiment? I haven‘t seen anything about it on any official site, or at the recruiting center.

here is what I read:
Naval Infantry is new to Canada, though the Regiment has done well for itself. These Infantry soldiers are highly trained in amphibious assaults and littoral warfare. Naval Infantry uses Bison‘s, Grizzly and LAV-25.
Also:
1st Royal Naval Infantry Regiment of Canada

‘...From The Sea‘
No Battle Honours as of yet
Nation: Canada Branch: Navy Service: Naval Infantry
CO: Commodore Philip W. Hatcher, OMM, CD
Units: NDHQ - Support Mang. CFB Halifax - Regional HQ CFB Esquimalt - Reg. HQ
NAVINFLANT (Atlantic) NAVINFPAC (Pacific)
History: Stood up in early 2000, 1RNIRC is the first Marine unit based in Canada since the last UK Marine contingent left Canada in the late 19th century. In early 1998, Canada sent teams of observers to the US, UK, the Netherlands and even to Russia. These observers, both naval and army, formed the initial training cadre. In late 1998, the House of Commons and the Governor-General authorized the country‘s first naval infantry unit. A battle school was established in Halifax, NS. In mid-1999 the first recruits graduated and were posted on board Canadian Naval Vessels.

The 1RNIRC, in its short life span has won accolades from allies and enemies alike. From peacekeeping/making missions to the present state of hostilities with Quebec and her French allies. The regiment‘s training reflects what the observers learned from their American, British, Dutch and Russian hosts, to form a unique but very effective Canadian combat unit.

As the Canadian Navy has no dedicated amphibious assault transports, it is Canadian practice to station naval infantry contingents aboard her surface combatants and onboard some minor warships and auxiliary vessels.

Organization:

Member Status: Experienced

Prince Henry Class AOR 1 Platoon commanded by a 1st Lt.
Preserver Class AOR‘s 1 Platoon commanded by a 1st Lt.
Provincial Class DDG 3 Sections (Squads) commanded by a Warrant Officer (WO).
Iroquois Class DDH 3 Sections (Squads) commanded by a WO.
Halifax Class FFH 1 Section (Squad) commanded by a Sgt.
Hudson Bay Class FFL 1 Section (Squad) commanded by a Sgt.
Cormorant Class MST 1 Section commanded by a Sgt.
Moresby Class MSA 1 Section commanded by a Sgt.
Cardinal Class Patrol Hovercraft PRAC 1 Section commanded by a Sgt.
Improved Kingston Class MCM 4 Marines commanded by a Master Corporal.

I have NO idea where you picked up that information, but it‘s total horse $hit. It was invented for some kind of game and bears NO resemblance to the actual Canadian Forces. Also, 90% of the equipment listed we don‘t even have in the entire CF.

Some kid with nothing better to do with his time figured that one out.

Oh, and there‘s no such thing as a 1st Lt in the Canadian army OR navy, so that is a big clue too.

From peacekeeping/making missions to the present state of hostilities with Quebec and her French allies
I think that‘s a pretty big giveaway.

I thought it sounded a little bs. I could see that it was made for some type of game, but I thought perhaps it was modeled after something real.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

It‘s too bad really.

My understanding is that leading seamen etc... perform the duties such as boarding ships etc...

However like most things in the Canadian Forces...that is not their only job. On ship they perform their regular crew duties, and when needed they suit up and board ships etc....

Other countries were in fact interested in this model and have sent observers to watch how we do things.

Anyone have anymore info on this?

Where was your source for all the quotes you gave us....that would tell us a lot about it.

Maybe they are so secretive they are JTF-sea ...lol

OK, since we‘ve determined this isn‘t reliable info, maybe we could look at it from a humorus point of view. Let me give you a couple more quotes:
Joint Task Force 2 (JTF 2)
No Crest No Battle Honours Listed
Nation: Canada Branch: Army Service: Special Ops
CO:
History: Stood up after the RCMP Anti-Terrorist Unit was removed, the JTF2 took the next step from reactive homeland security, to pro-active combat missions. Able to deal with counter-terrorism as well as all nature of military operations, the JTF2 is Canada‘s most secretive organization.

As a joint force, JTF2 is open to all military careers, as long as they make the minimum requirement. Standard signing is for one term, though many opt for longer. They have done much in action, though most is highly classified, and therefore unverifiable.

Organization: Organized much like the SAS, JTF2 fulfills a variety of SpecOps roles, and thus its troopers are very versatile. Their deployment is non-standard, and dependant on the mission and its requirements. At the very least, JTF2 work in pairs, a shooter and spotter, though they can easily work with more than this.

Member Status: Elite
This one is better:
Raider MOC
Created as a joint effort between the US and Canada, these soldiers are highly mobile infantrymen who seek targets behind enemy lines. Independent, this MOS is for highly skilled soldiers who cause panic and disruption throughout the enemy‘s backyard.
Here, http://www.twilightarmouries.ca/Organizations/CanadianForces/CFBASIC.htm is the page I took the info from. I could see there was something about dice rolls, but I thought "POSSIBLY" it was a game modeled after reality.

On the home page:
http://www.twilightarmouries.ca/

Third line from the top:
"Disclaimer:  Please note that these are games.  Nothing on this site is for sale in ‘real life‘."

Why are we even talking about this?

Investigate, people!

LoL,

Ya I never saw that main page, I just stumbled into the page I put the link up for, while I was looking for information on basic training.

I‘ve been trying to find some webpages which would include, pictures of the facility at St.Jean, recent graduate‘s thoughts, feelings, and descriptions on life for a newbie in the CF, and just basically some of the insider kind of info that I‘m not going to see on the official sites. I‘d like to get at least a little bit of a realistc picture of what to expect for those 10 weeks, so that when I step off the bus at St.Jean, I don‘t feel like I just landed on Mars.

lol, reminds me of a guy named "Nick" at the Arsenal of the CF board awhile back...he thought vehicles designed for a game were actually in the CF - even the creator told him that they weren‘t real, but the guy still persisted that they existed.

Back