• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Combat Dress (NCD) uniform [Merged]

Got exiled to Ottawa as these were rolled out so curious; what do people were when doing maintenance now?  Can't see any of that flair lasting very long if you are crawling around a diesel or whatnot.

I'm hoping common sense prevails and the naval ensign and other badges that are velcroed on aren't worn at sea.

Also, are these still nomex?

The old ones hang off you like an ugly blind date, but did create some good insulating air pockets if you did get caught in a flash fire.  If that's not really a concern, then my next question would be why bother with the (non-fire rated) flash gear.  :stirpot:

Navy_Pete said:
Got exiled to Ottawa as these were rolled out so curious; what do people were when doing maintenance now?  Can't see any of that flair lasting very long if you are crawling around a diesel or whatnot.

I'm hoping common sense prevails and the naval ensign and other badges that are velcroed on aren't worn at sea.

Also, are these still nomex?

The old ones hang off you like an ugly blind date, but did create some good insulating air pockets if you did get caught in a flash fire.  If that's not really a concern, then my next question would be why bother with the (non-fire rated) flash gear.  :stirpot:

I would imagine they would wear coveralls for the dirtier jobs and the flairs been around for some time now. Yes the badges are worn at sea.  The new combats are fire rated, in fact the new fleece weather jacket liner can act as a second layer as its fire rated as well.

While it has been some decades since I was last at sea, I am currently working at a big industrial site where all staff have to wear special, protective clothing as part of the safety procedures.  I will point out there are ZERO exceptions for visiting big-wigs.  Everyone wears the same gear. 

My memory of NCDs is that they were ugly, poorly fitting and ill suited from a safety point of view. 

If these new clothes are less ugly, fit better and provide some improvements in worker safety, and no one is embarrassed to be seen wearing them, then this is a huge step forward. 

Actually, Stoker Dave, the NCD were a huge (pronounced "à la Trump!") improvement over their predecessor: The CAF all-polyester work/garrison dress.

However, I am in full agreement that the requirements for a Naval Combat Dress are, in order of importance:

1) Does it protect from known personnel safety risks;
2) Is it easy to maintain; and,
3) is it comfortable to wear.

The good looking part is just a bonus if it can be fitted in there somehow.

I only have one small qualm with the most recent incarnation of the NCD: Navy blue like that, how friggin hot is it going to be if you have to work on deck for a while in Tropical or Equatorial waters?

Dimsum said:
It's definitely there.  She probably doesn't have the sea days for it yet.

BtuJARd46gzhzBw9wPwHYe3PU5f739dnncDUtaF3BsA.jpg

I'm impressed by the font size on that hat. I can only assume that it has something to do with making sure that the Admiral isn't accidentally assumed to be a General (while wrapped in a ship sailing 500 miles offshore) ;)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I only have one small qualm with the most recent incarnation of the NCD: Navy blue like that, how friggin hot is it going to be if you have to work on deck for a while in Tropical or Equatorial waters?

My good man you should know one doesn't hunt U-Boats in the North Atlantic(proper navy task) in a uniform appropriate for wear in the Med, Caribbean, South China Sea, Indian Ocean, Arabian Gulf, etc.(the places we actually operationally deploy)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Actually, Stoker Dave, the NCD were a huge (pronounced "à la Trump!") improvement over their predecessor: The CAF all-polyester work/garrison dress.

However, I am in full agreement that the requirements for a Naval Combat Dress are, in order of importance:

1) Does it protect from known personnel safety risks;
2) Is it easy to maintain; and,
3) is it comfortable to wear.

The good looking part is just a bonus if it can be fitted in there somehow.

Its already been trialed in Africa successfully.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

You take off the top layer and work in a T-shirt like army types.  Which is the intent AFAIK.  Only ones I truly worry about is the FP component.  All that black gear under a black flack jacket/black helmet.

As I am currently working at a large industrial site, the safety clothing is to protect workers from hazards. 

Workers wear highly reflective clothing to make them more visible to vehicles, crane operators, etc. when working in the dark or low-light conditions.  Collisions between heavy equipment and workers is a major hazard and the safety clothing helps to mitigate that risk 

So while I know there are times when the ships have to be 'dark' I would think there are plenty of times when a bit of extra visibility would be helpful (e.g. night RAS and fueling operations, rescue operations, ship blackout due to power failure, firefighting in the dark, etc.).  It would make it easier to know who was where in the dark.  I am curious if there was any discussion on the risks and benefits of putting some reflective materials on that clothing.  On the plus side, during normal peacetime operations it may improve worker safety but obviously during operations it could be a detriment. 

Any thoughts on how that played out? 

stoker dave said:
As I am currently working at a large industrial site, the safety clothing is to protect workers from hazards. 

Workers wear highly reflective clothing to make them more visible to vehicles, crane operators, etc. when working in the dark or low-light conditions.  Collisions between heavy equipment and workers is a major hazard and the safety clothing helps to mitigate that risk 

So while I know there are times when the ships have to be 'dark' I would think there are plenty of times when a bit of extra visibility would be helpful (e.g. night RAS and fueling operations, rescue operations, ship blackout due to power failure, firefighting in the dark, etc.).  It would make it easier to know who was where in the dark.  I am curious if there was any discussion on the risks and benefits of putting some reflective materials on that clothing.  On the plus side, during normal peacetime operations it may improve worker safety but obviously during operations it could be a detriment. 

Any thoughts on how that played out?

We do have a new floater jacket that just came out that is more visible with neon yellow on the collar instead of red.

Chief Engineer said:
Picked up the new style floater jacket today, seems heavier than the old one and it came with a fleece liner to wear underneath. The liner can act as your second layer.

The black fleece liner is a great piece of kit!

Tango2Bravo said:
The black fleece liner is a great piece of kit!

Do you need to wear it with a toque and gloves though?  :rofl:

Chief Engineer said:
Its already been trialed in Africa successfully.
We also "trialed" CADPAT TW in Afghanistan back in the day... Just because the troops made use of a less than ideal uniform doesn't mean it's a good idea. We spend a lot of time in hot climates, we need a naval operations uniform suited to the task. Removing a black layer to make black t-shirts the outer layer is lazy and quite frankly embarrassing. The Germans have tropical uniforms, and somehow Canada can't make a tropical uniform happen.

https://www.facebook.com/HMCSNCSMCalgary/photos/a.126240937936675/366472837246816/?type=3&theater

3Xgm9DK.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/HMCSNCSMCalgary/photos/a.126240937936675/367196863841080/?type=3&theater

W3txWKr.jpg

Furniture said:
We also "trialed" CADPAT TW in Afghanistan back in the day... Just because the troops made use of a less than ideal uniform doesn't mean it's a good idea. We spend a lot of time in hot climates, we need a naval operations uniform suited to the task. Removing a black layer to make black t-shirts the outer layer is lazy and quite frankly embarrassing. The Germans have tropical uniforms, and somehow Canada can't make a tropical uniform happen.

Well, the RCAF has a bunch of tan flight suits in stock...  :whistle:

Besides HMCS Calgary, some sailors on HMCS Ville de Québec are wearing it:

https://www.facebook.com/CRCN.CMRC/posts/2148242915426936?__tn__=-R

pEh3oah.jpg

Is it just me or does the RCN Chief's shirt look really long compared to the other two?

Well, you've got NCD, coveralls with jacket, and Arid CADPAT/apparently unbloused.  I like it;  it seems like the Staff said "the Admiral wants a photo op, and the VdQ Capt said "OK, but we've got work to do, don't take up too much of the crews' time."

;D

Journeyman said:
Well, you've got NCD, coveralls with jacket, and Arid CADPAT/apparently unbloused.  I like it;  it seems like the Staff said "the Admiral wants a photo op, and the VdQ Capt said "OK, but we've got work to do, don't take up too much of the crews' time."

;D

I mean, there are Cleaning Stations to be done!  :nod:

NAVGEN 018/18 —  RCN Dress and Clothing Update - 01/2018

12. NAVAL ENHANCED COMBAT UNIFORM (NECU):
A. USER TRIALS FOR THE FIRST PROTOTYPE UNIFORMS TO REPLACE THE
CURRENT NCD UNIFORM COMPLETED IN NOVEMBER 2017
B. BASED ON FEEDBACK FROM THE FIRST USER TRIALLED PROTOTYPE, AN
UPDATED VERSION WAS PRODUCED AND REVIEWED BY COMD RCN IN JANUARY
2018. A FURTHER REFINED SPECIFICATION AND THIRD PROTOTYPE IS
ANTICIPATED TO BE REVIEWED FOR APPROVAL CONSIDERATION IN SPRING 2018.
CONTINGENT UPON THIS FINAL PROTOTYPE APPROVAL. IT IS ANTICIPATED
THAT APPROVED NECU WOULD BE READY TO COMMENCE ISSUE LATE 2019 OR
EARLY 2020

C. PARTICIPANTS OF THE INITIAL NECU TRIAL CONTINUE TO BE AUTHORIZED
TO WEAR TRIAL NECU
D. THE NECU WILL CONSIST OF TWO LAYERS (T-SHIRT AND NECU SHIRT)
RESULTING IN A NAVAL FLEECE TO BE INTRODUCED AS AN INTERMEDIATE
ARTICLE OF CLOTHING. IT IS ANTICIPATED THAT THIS ITEM WILL BE
INTRODUCED AFTER NECU IS AVAILABLE
13. NEW SUBMARINE COVERALL:
A. CURRENTLY FILE IS WITH ADM(MAT) FOR CONTRACTING
B. IT IS BEING PLANNED TO CONDUCT A PROOF OF CONCEPT TRIAL IN 2018

Back