• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Combat Dress (NCD) uniform [Merged]

That's what we're informed.  The Air Force and Army will continue to use the cloth SSI as it worn on the sleeve vs chest.

Lumber said:
Canadian Naval Ensign.

Yeah, we couldn't use an internationally recognized term used by other Commonwealth navies, like "White Ensign" or even "Canadian White Ensign.  Instead, we had to name it after a dog and pony show in Toronto...

Pusser said:
Yeah, we couldn't use an internationally recognized term used by other Commonwealth navies, like "White Ensign" or even "Canadian White Ensign.  Instead, we had to name it after a dog and pony show in Toronto...

Don't forget about the BFE...

daftandbarmy said:
How festive.

If they come out with one specifically for the West Coast Navy, would it be abbreviated 'PNE'? :)

You mean the TSNE?

FSTO said:
AKIAK the RCAF and ARMY types will remain with the cloth pins.

This directive has been very poorly implemented.

And don't forget, the RCAF is switching from light blue background badges to the dark blue (black) background badges! So all those soon to be surplus RCN SSIs will start filtering down to AF supply and we can take our tunics in again for some sewing.

Why you ask?  Even the tailor doesn't know for certain! But there was mention about someone wanting the RCAF SSI background to match the shoulder tabs and wings.  Sigh.

bigzoomie said:
Why you ask?  Even the tailor doesn't know for certain! But there was mention about someone wanting the RCAF SSI background to match the shoulder tabs and wings.  Sigh.

It looks better (it stands out).  I know that's not a good reason, but it's the main reason.

CWO West has been sporting the RCN SSI badge for over a year now.

It stands out quite well, IMO, and the black background does suit more with the RCAF badges/rank.  (He also has the right *new* Wings on now these days too)

fa2012-4001-24.jpg

15-0009-main.jpg

Lumber said:
My face when I'm a Hamilton native:

973b2ef56162a9a5a4be106cbebbe185_unimpressed-meme-memesuper-unimpressed-meme_625-416.jpeg

Haha, me too, otherwise I wouldn't make the cracks.  Running joke is I joined the Navy to get out of Hamilton.  Totally different city now though from when I grew up there.

Navy_Pete said:
Haha, me too, otherwise I wouldn't make the cracks.  Running joke is I joined the Navy to get out of Hamilton.  Totally different city now though from when I grew up there.

I know, right? You can actually recommend to out if towners to go visit James St, North!

But, they still don't know that there's a 160 sailors working in Hamilton.

Or upward of a 5-600 soldiers...

Or that Canada even has a Navy..

Lumber said:
But, they still don't know that there's a 160 sailors working in Hamilton Victoria outside Dockyard.

Or upward of a 5-600 soldiers...

Or that Canada even has a Navy..

FTFY.

Chief Stoker said:
What we're seeing at my unit is that we are getting our NAVY/MARINE name tapes, flags and even a embroidered flat SSI at a place in Dartmouth and paying out of pocket. None of this is really official either with many around the yard wearing different items.

My question is that how many times does one need to assert that one works with the Naval Forces of Canada? Let us see the jacket. There is the anchor on the name tape, NAVY / MARINE tape with maple leaf in the middle, Naval Ensign (which design includes the Canadian flag) on the shoulder, Canadian flag on its own on the upper shoulder, and the word CANADA on both slip-ons.

Calvillo said:
My question is that how many times does one need to assert that one works with the Naval Forces of Canada? Let us see the jacket. There is the anchor on the name tape, NAVY / MARINE tape with maple leaf in the middle, Naval Ensign (which design includes the Canadian flag) on the shoulder, Canadian flag on its own on the upper shoulder, and the word CANADA on both slip-ons.
When your average Canadian becomes aware of the fact that Canada has a navy, I suppose the work will be done. In a meantime, an ensign on the uniform isn't going to kill anyone.

https://twitter.com/Comd_RCN/status/927942286456930305

MI6jKlC.jpg

https://twitter.com/Comd_RCN/status/929970822877343744

OKR9M8e.jpg

https://twitter.com/Comd_RCN/status/929981137794998272

VHStHRZ.jpg

I especially love the large easy to read NAVY/MARINE name plate. I  don't know how we'd tell what element their from without it.

I don't like the need for it. For what it is, looks good.

Infanteer said:
Look pretty slick to me.
Really? Makes me want to puke.

I mean, do you really need an anchor after your name on the name tag, then the words Navy * Marine on the other side, right near a huge Canadian white ensign (which identify you as Navy by itself) and then the RCN command badge below that??? (I know - that's because they ARE the command team, this last one would be your ship's/unit badge normally - but really for the RCN command team: leave the damn thing blank please.)

And, seriously, is he actually arm wrestling that poor Australian Able Seaman  :facepalm:

captloadie said:
I especially love the large easy to read NAVY/MARINE name plate. I  don't know how we'd tell what element their from without it.

Looking forward to the large ARMY/ARMEE and larger AIR FORCE/AVIATION badges for purple tradesmen that are posted to ships. That should be nicely confusing for everyone.

Back