• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nav Ops/Intel to CSIS

willellis

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey, just wondering if anyone has heard of any NCMs that have been in the ops room that have made the move to CSIS. I just would like to know if this sort of thing happens, and if so, how common is it. And yes, I have gone to the CSIS website and looked up all the requirements, and I do know that it can be somewhat of a sensitive topic, so I am just looking for simple answers. This question pertains to wether anyone can shed some light on how Navy NCMs can make it to Canadian intelligence. Thanks.

willellis said:
Hey, just wondering if anyone has heard of any NCMs that have been in the ops room that have made the move to CSIS. I just would like to know if this sort of thing happens, and if so, how common is it. And yes, I have gone to the CSIS website and looked up all the requirements, and I do know that it can be somewhat of a sensitive topic, so I am just looking for simple answers. This question pertains to wether anyone can shed some light on how Navy NCMs can make it to Canadian intelligence. Thanks.

Did you do a SEARCH for CSIS on this site?  I know that there is a topic that is along these lines, and it may have the answers you want.

I am now returning to MY regular surfing of this site. 

willellis said:

The short answer is, "It depends"  Depends on the individual, their training, experience and personal qualities.  Depends on their TOS and whether they can be available when the Service wants them.  Depends on the type of position they are applying for within the Service.

In terms of "How common is it?" I'm afraid the Service is rather reluctant to describe, in detail, over open communications means their detailed recruiting efforts, successes and targets.  They're just funny that way...

willellis said:
Hey, just wondering if anyone has heard of any NCMs that have been in the ops room that have made the move to CSIS. I just would like to know if this sort of thing happens, and if so, how common is it.

I would think very rare, if at all. CSIS is very big on educational qualifications. Their website states right off the top that

"You must also

* possess a Bachelor's degree from a recognized university;"

No degree, no job. Its as simple as that. Very few NCM's that I know of have that qualification.

wether anyone can shed some light on how Navy NCMs can make it to Canadian intelligence. Thanks.

If its military intelligence that you want to join, then you can apply for entry into the CF Intelligence Branch. There are a couple of threads on this forum that can help you there.

No degree, no job. Its as simple as that. Very few NCM's that I know of have that qualification.
Actually quite a few of the Navy Ops types have a Bachelors degree of one type or another. I am not one of them, but its not rare in the Navy.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Actually quite a few of the Navy Ops types have a Bachelors degree of one type or another.

My background is on the int side of things and mostly air force and army with very little navy experience, so I can't comment on the navy ops side of things.  However, you comment doesn't surprise me; the navy was well ahead of the other two branches when it came to C4I.

Retired AF Guy said:
My background is on the int side of things and mostly air force and army with very little navy experience, so I can't comment on the navy ops side of things.  However, you comment doesn't surprise me; the navy was well ahead of the other two branches when it came to C4I.

Am I missing something here?  What does C4I have to do with Bachelors Degrees?

When I look around here 65% of the Ship's Company has or is working towards their BSc/BA

To get back to the original subject though (yep threads here tend to do that), I can tell you, knowing CSIS a fair bit, that your experience has a navcomm shall have ZERO impact on the possibility of CSIS hiring you. There is a vast thread here to which I participated a lot regarding CSIS and the military, but in short military experience is clearly NOT a plus...if anything it is a minus.

PM me for details.

George Wallace said:
Am I missing something here?  What does C4I have to do with Bachelors Degrees?

My point was that since the navy was into the high-tech stuff quite early, it was likely they would have more people with a higher education.

CDN Aviator said:
Plenty of them when i look around.

MedTech said:
When I look around here 65% of the Ship's Company has or is working towards their BSc/BA

My apologies for dragging this thread off on a different tangent. My comments were based on my personal observations with my time in the Int Branch ('79-'05) and were specifically in regards to the Int Branch, not navy ops ncms or any other trade.

Retired AF Guy said:
My apologies for dragging this thread off on a different tangent. My comments were based on my personal observations with my time in the Int Branch ('79-'05) and were specifically in regards to the Int Branch, not navy ops ncms or any other trade.

But that is what the OP was asking about...if naval ops room types made the move to CSIS and you interjected that very few NCMS have that qualification....if you did not know the education of naval ops types then why the blanket statement?

Ex-Dragoon said:
But that is what the OP was asking about...if naval ops room types made the move to CSIS and you interjected that very few NCMS have that qualification....if you did not know the education of naval ops types then why the blanket statement?

My mistake...I should have have clarified that I was taking specifically about the int side of the house.

My apologies, same for NesOP... for any trade, as I said.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Actually quite a few of the Navy Ops types have a Bachelors degree of one type or another. I am not one of them, but its not rare in the Navy.

Unless I'm mistaken, university grads were being actively recruited to serve as NCMs in the navy (and perhaps elsewhere) not too long ago.

N. McKay said:
Unless I'm mistaken, university grads were being actively recruited to serve as NCMs in the navy (and perhaps elsewhere) not too long ago.

Maybe but has little to do with navy op types going over to CSIS.

Why would anyone want to transfer from the CF to CSIS is beyond me....  Maybe with glorified hopes of becoming James Bond or a CIA Operative. I would assume most people joined the CF for hands on experience and a challenge. It's for this very reason they don't have to sit in a office and look at a case on a piece of paper and decided "Threat or No Threat"

Acer Syrup said:
Why would anyone want to transfer from the CF to CSIS is beyond me.... 
You've seen people post "stay in your lane"?
Given your lack of knowledge of either the CF or CSIS, please stick to your Cadet threads.

Back