• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NATO response to Russian sabre rattling

Altair said:
Would you rather polish maple resolve for 6-12 months at a time for years to come?

Then watch genocide and human suffering and be unable to help because the UN castrates its forces when deployed? My long-term mental health begs me to say yes, I've seen a few too many friends still suffering from Somalia and Rwanda.

PuckChaser said:
Then watch genocide and human suffering and be unable to help because the UN castrates its forces when deployed? My long-term mental health begs me to say yes, I've seen a few too many friends still suffering from Somalia and Rwanda.
Don't know of any genocide in Mali.

Altair said:
Don't know of any genocide in Mali.

1 February 2013 – A senior United Nations official today warned of the risk of reprisal attacks against Tuareg and Arab civilians in various regions of northern Mali and urged the country’s military to protect all citizens regardless of their ethnic affiliation.

“While the liberation of towns once under the control of the rebel and extremist groups has brought hope to the populations of northern Mali, I am deeply concerned at the risk of reprisal attacks against ethnic Tuareg and Arab civilians,” the UN Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide, Adama Dieng, said in a statement.

Fighting between Government forces and Tuareg rebels broke out in northern Mali last January, after which radical Islamists seized control of the area. The conflict uprooted thousands of people and prompted the Malian Government to request military assistance from France to stop the progression of extremist groups.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=44058

Dimsum said:
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=44058
Yeah, and nothing since operation Serval.

So I'll rephrase,  I don't know of any current genocide in mali.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Where is 427 Sqn and 450 Sqn located?  Petawawa? 

I'll suggest VOT to AES Op.  There are no positions for AES Ops in either of those shit holes.

But Pet is 25 minutes away from the Pembroke Mall!  ;D

Altair said:
Yeah, and nothing since operation Serval.

So I'll rephrase,  I don't know of any current genocide in mali.

Just because the world media has moved on doesn't mean it's not still happening.  How much do you hear about Somalia, DRC, and all those ongoing conflicts these days?

Dimsum said:
Just because the world media has moved on doesn't mean it's not still happening.  How much do you hear about Somalia, DRC, and all those ongoing conflicts these days?
Congo I hear about on occasion. Somalia not so much. Usually even if major media has moved on the UN will still make a point to point it out. That hasn't happened at all recently.

On a whole though, i think more genocide is happening in isil held areas than in french west Africa.

Again, just in case people think I want UN peacekeeping over being part of a NATO tripwire force, I don't care which one trudeau decides on, just send me somewhere.

Altair said:
Again, just in case people think I want UN peacekeeping over being part of a NATO tripwire force, I don't care which one trudeau decides on, just send me somewhere.

I wasn't being snarky when I suggested VOT to aircrew (esp AESOP).  If your trade isn't working out for you, it is definitely an option and AESOPs definitely travel to all sorts of places.  I'm sure any AESOP on here or in person will back me up on that..

Altair said:

If your profile is right and you're a Signaller: If something sustained happens, you'll have more deployments than you know what to do with. Look at the guys around HQ&Sigs with 4 rotation bars.

Dimsum said:
I wasn't being snarky when I suggested VOT to aircrew (esp AESOP).  If your trade isn't working out for you, it is definitely an option and AESOPs definitely travel to all sorts of places.  I'm sure any AESOP on here or in person will back me up on that..

One of the better trades in the military "IMHO." Great place for a smart soldier looking to get ahead:
Airborne Electronic Sensor Operator

PuckChaser said:
If your profile is right and you're a Signaller: If something sustained happens, you'll have more deployments than you know what to do with. Look at the guys around HQ&Sigs with 4 rotation bars.
Back when the earth was cooling (I read)...pretty much everyone in the Army had a Cyprus ribbon and a CD.....except for all of these Jimmy Cpls, with three rows of medals --- because they went EVERYWHERE.

Not sure what changed.

There was only one place to go for the last 10 years.  ;D

PuckChaser said:
There was only one place to go for the last 10 years.  ;D
But "back in the day" every peacekeeping operation included Sigs (as the only folks [not just Canadians]) who could establish HF comms.  No Canadians deployed without Sigs. 

Tangent:  maybe you folks made yourselves TOO special and got trumped by e-mail to UNHQ NY    :dunno:

Might coincide with Sigs pretending HF wasn't important anymore. Concur with the email comment. I remember phone calls home with my Dad through a HAM radio patch. "Technology".

[tamgent conntinues]

I've used HF on more than a few occasions to make ops life a little more functional. HF is definitely an UNDERAPPRCIATED art! :nod:

[back to people about to get what they may think they want for the time being...]

I have to agree, any of the "HQ and Pigs, Jimmies" I knew back in the day were going everywhere and not just where the CF was going either.  They were accompanying the PM on trips to Africa etc.  If anything, they were wishing they were not being tasked so much.

I looked after 79 Comm Regt for a couple years in the late 90's before they were disbanded - the Rapid Deployment Squadron was called "Rapid Divorce Sqn" because the folks were usually 6 in/6 out or 3 in/3 out of Bosnia, Central African Republic, Kosovo, and all other little shyte holes in the world except for the Golan, which was a CFJSR task IIRC.  The folks in 1 Line Sqn were tasked away roughly 300 days of the year on jobs, projects and deployments.

It annoyed more than a few people that they were getting burned out when there were about 800 operators/techs over at CFJSR spinning on their thumbs that were grovelling for deployments...they soon got reintegrated into the Regiment a little before I was posted in 2002.

MM

Canada must do more to help NATO combat Russian threat, Mulroney says

Robert Fife

OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail

Published Monday, Jun. 20, 2016 7:30PM EDT

Last updated Monday, Jun. 20, 2016 7:30PM EDT

Former prime minister Brian Mulroney says the Trudeau government should choose the very best fighter jet to confront the growing threat from Russia as he urged Canada to play a more forceful role within NATO and the United Nations.

In a prepared text for a major foreign policy speech to the NATO Association of Canada on Monday night, Mr. Mulroney warned that Russian President Vladimir Putin is attempting to create a new Eurasian union dependent on Moscow.

“The primary challenge now is to thwart further expansion by Russia and to ensure that those NATO members that border Russia, especially Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, remain secure and firmly under NATO’s wing,” he said.

NATO is scrambling to contain the threat by stationing four battalions of troops in the Baltic countries, but more needs to be done, Mr. Mulroney said.

“Canada is being invited to contribute troops in some way and, in my view, we should respond positively,” he said. “We need to be equipped and ready, as necessary, to preserve our values.”

Mr. Mulroney said Canada should double defence spending to 2 per cent of GDP.

“The simple reality is that if Canada expects NATO to do more on global security, we must decide to do more for NATO. That should be a top defence priority. What we cannot do is talk about Canada ‘being back’ in the world without making tangible commitments that will anchor our aspirations,” he said.

Mr. Mulroney was sharply critical of the Liberal government’s‎ waffling on an open competition for a new fighter jet. During the election campaign, Justin Trudeau promised to reject the former Conservative government’s favoured aircraft, the F-35 stealth jet, which 11 western allies have now bought.

The government is considering Super Hornets as an interim replacement for the aging CF-18s‎.

“We need new fighter aircraft, but most of all, we need a decision on what we will buy to serve our strategic needs, not an interim purchase driven by political considerations that risk repeating the helicopter fiasco,” Mr. Mulroney said.

The former prime minister noted the problems that happened in the 1990s, when the Chrétien Liberals succeeded the Mulroney Conservatives and cancelled their $4.4-billion purchase of EH-101 helicopters. Mr. Chrétien’s decision cost taxpayers half a billion dollars in penalties. The government ended up buying the same helicopters, but the costs had then risen to $7.6-billion.

U.S. defence giant Lockheed Martin has already said Canada could lose $825-million in aerospace contracts that were signed with Canadian companies to build equipment for the F-35 jets if the Liberal government buys the Super Hornets.

Mr. Mulroney said Canada should follow the Australian model and set up an independent, arms-length agency to handle major defence procurement through an open bidding process.

He also urged Mr. Trudeau to join the U.S. anti-ballisic missile defence system to protect Canada from countries such as North Korea that are heavily investing in long-range nuclear missile capability.

“We cannot subcontract our responsibility to national security to our southern neighbour, no matter how secure we may believe ourselves to be relying exclusively on American continental security,” he said.

Mr. Mulroney supported Mr. Trudeau’s plans to be more engaged in UN peacekeeping and to play a more prominent role in the world body.

The UN is in urgent need of an overhaul in its personnel policies, and requires much tighter accountability, Mr. Mulroney said.

“Since Cana‎da remains the 7th-largest contributor of funds to the UN and its agencies, we should move beyond fuzzy sentiments and position ourselves in the vanguard of those seeking genuine reform at the UN,” he said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-must-do-more-to-help-nato-combat-russian-threat-mulroney-says/article30531861/?click=sf_globefb

MilEME09 said:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-must-do-more-to-help-nato-combat-russian-threat-mulroney-says/article30531861/?click=sf_globefb
Defense spending at 2 percent of gdp would be beyond amazing.

It will never happen.

Meanwhile (highlights mine) ...
Russia is pushing back against NATO calls for Canada to help lead a new military force in Eastern Europe, describing the measure as “a complete waste of money and resources.”

The new force will be a central focus when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau meets his NATO counterparts in Poland next month. The alliance wants to station 4,000 troops across Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland as a bulwark against Russian expansion or aggression.

The U.S., Britain and Germany have each promised to lead one battalion of about 1,000 troops, and allies have been actively pushing Canada to take command of the fourth. Cabinet ministers are believed to have discussed the request Monday and an announcement is expected soon.

In a sharply worded statement, however, the Russian embassy in Ottawa said the NATO force risks distracting from “the real existential threat” facing Canada and Russia: ISIL and terrorism.

“We believe that NATO build-up on Russia’s doorstep, which is reminiscent of Cold War sabre-rattling, is a complete waste of money and resources, diverting them from the real existential threat of international terrorism,” it says.

“Given that terrorists make no distinction between Russians and Canadians, as well as reports claiming 151 nationals of Canada are on an ISIS ‘kill list,’ common sense and pragmatism dictate the need to join efforts, as opposed to reincarnation of Cold War containment.”

Back