• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

National war treasures fading fast

Gunner

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=a6cfff84-6c33-48b9-b29d-7da711ac50bf&k=59924

National war treasures fading fast

Lee Berthiaume
CanWest News Service; Ottawa Citizen

Monday, May 22, 2006

OTTAWA -- Inside the non-descript National Research Council building M-23, a chunk of Canada's proud military history is in danger of being lost.

The building is home to the National Defence Image Library, which holds about 1 million photographs and negatives that chronicle Canada's military operations over the past 90 years.

Modern-day computers share space with dozens of index card drawers containing tens of thousands of photo captions that date back to before the Second World War. Crumbling photo albums packed with black and white photos of Canadians serving at home and abroad are stuffed into old cupboards in one hallway and another room is filled with metal cabinets that hold the majority of the library's image collection.

But while the library's most priceless items original gold-inlaid crests for every Canadian unit ever created are stored in a small temperature- and humidity-controlled room, the rest of the collection has been left to the elements and is quickly deteriorating because of time, rough handling and pollution.

"These are all artifacts," the library's manager, Sgt. Serge Tremblay, said during a recent tour of the facility. "They shouldn't be here."

Tremblay manages a small team of civilian researchers, image technicians and a string of rotating personnel that is trying to scan these photos onto compact discs that are supposed to last 300 years. The scanned pictures will then be sent to the National Archives for proper storage.

But lack of funding and personnel has severely hampered those efforts and the library loses between one and two per cent of its collection 10,000 to 20,000 images every year because they are not being stored properly.

"It's a race against time," said Tremblay, who estimates it will cost between $1.5 million and $2.5 million over five years to scan and catalogue all of the library's images. That doesn't include the nearly 45,000 reels of old film stored in the building's basement that are in the same peril.

During the First World War, the three branches of the Canadian military each had their own image libraries but they were amalgamated after the Second World War.

"We still use a lot of it," Tremblay said of the collection. Other countries, historians and companies that are working on documentaries or books often send requests for photos while relatives of former servicemen and women often stop by looking for records of their relatives' actions.

"A lot of people are looking for their grandfathers or family," Tremblay said. "The goal is to have them on the Internet so everyone can access them. All of these images are owned by all Canadians."

Throughout the two wars, military photographers took pictures of Canadian troops during training, down time and action and recorded the details on index cards that are still used today. However, corresponding negatives haven't fared well. Negatives stored in envelopes have started to become acidic, which crumples and distorts the image.

When photos and negatives do start to deteriorate, the only solution is to put them in a large refrigerator to freeze them and hope that one day, they can be rescued.

"This is the best we can do," Tremblay said.

His staff have managed to scan about 10 per cent of the collection, but his trained personnel are often called off on other assignments and the library doesn't have any dedicated funding, which he said has other priorities.

"We're short on people," he said. "We do this in our spare time. I do understand (the Department of National Defence) has other priorities, but this has to be done."

Irene Ogilvie was 24 when she responded to an ad in a British paper in 1943 looking for young Canadian women living in England. She was quickly signed on with a women's photography unit, given a crash course on how to use a camera, then started taking pictures for the RCAF.

"We took pictures of anything that was interesting or of interest to Canadians," Ogilvie, now 86, said in her Ottawa home. "I didn't realize then how historically important they were."

While male photographers were responsible for taking pictures on the frontlines, Ogilvie, the wife of famed Spitfire pilot Keith (Skeets) Ogilvie, remembered chronicling Canadian military leaders arriving in England, funerals for RCAF personnel killed in action and boatloads of cheering and enthusiastic Canadian soldiers arriving in England and sombre, quiet soldiers departing.

She is saddened to hear that thousands of photographs taken by photographers like herself are being lost every year. "I think it's terrible," she said. "They're special jewels. They are irretrievable."

Canadian military historian Jack Granatstein estimates most Canadians know the country's war history through about 1,000 well-known photographs, but don't realize there are tens of thousands more that are just as important.

Granatstein said it's "scandalous" that the government isn't doing everything it can to protect the image collection, which is important from both military and genealogical perspectives.

"They are an extraordinary record of Canadian wars and Canadian history."

Lt.-Col. Rob Williams, commanding officer of the Canadian Forces Joint Imagery Centre, under whose command the image library falls, acknowledged the image library is "low in the priorities" for the DND.

Instead, the department is trying to work with other ministries to find creative ways to save what he described as "treasures of Canada," though he was doubtful DND would be able to free up enough resources to tackle the problem in the near future.

"We're talking to other (government ministries) and maybe someone we don't know about will come forward and offer their help."

Ottawa Citizen

What a tragedy. Good on them for trying to solve the problem. My father in law is a photo archivist so I know how precious the images are and how carefully they must be treated.

I would hope that they have offered intern positions to students because that would be a great way to plough through the iimages and get them done without extra funds or staff time.

Sadly, it isn't just the "national war treasures" fading fast. As a member of the Mapping and Charting Establishment in the '80's, I discovered Canada's heritage of photos and survey records badly stored and scattered. imagine pristine photos of the Rockies, of survey parties in the north, of records form the teens and 20's, scattered across a basement floor, or covered over by a tarp inside a building with a leaky roof.. Sad isn't it? A country with little respect for its past, isn't a country - it's just a place to hang a hat and make a buck.

I'm not surprised, Canada has a bad history of not taking care of history. I doubt this will change much, Mitilary history isn't and hasn't been respected by past governments most them Liberal.  Yes I blame the Liberal party for part of this.... the record speaks for itself on miliatry matters.  Maybe the new government will find the time to save some this....

Truly sad.  These are objects that can never be replaced.  I hope that someone in the government with the power to make decisions sees this a major problem and devotes resources to a solution.  In my estimation 2.5million is cheap to salvage a major part of our history.

Lest we forget.

radiohead said:
I'm not surprised, Canada has a bad history of not taking care of history. I doubt this will change much, Mitilary history isn't and hasn't been respected by past governments most them Liberal.  Yes I blame the Liberal party for part of this.... the record speaks for itself on miliatry matters.  Maybe the new government will find the time to save some this....

So how about that new multi-million dollar national war museum?  Unfortunately there is only so much money to go around. I think private citizens are just as much to blame, from family members who throw medals in the garbage because they don't know what they are, to those who don't subsidize museums, or photocopy military reference books without paying for them, stuff like that. Serving soldiers who go overseas but don't document what they've done - probably a majority, and understandable given the fact they are working for a living.

But - if it is worth preserving, then let's all chip in.  I know I'm pissed when the National Gallery pays millions of dollars on "artwork" - the thinking being that if it was worth having, people would pay for it without having the government do it arbitrarily. So why should military history be any different?

Get the military museums off of remote army bases and make them relevant for a start - the museum in Calgary is a great example. Some of the military museums located in, say, Borden, unfortunately aren't.  Thousands of great artifacts there that few people would think to go see. How many casual tourists think to spend time on an army base?

Hope this isn't too tangential to the discussion on military photos, but again, what is the government reasonably expected to do? Preservation, sure. Unfortunately the Second World War photos were compiled before the digital age so there is a backlog to deal with. Student volunteers would be great to help scan them in. The museum here has employed summer students working on grants to do stuff like type in nominal rolls or scan documements in.  I suppose if there is widespread concern about the photos, we will find a way to help.

Truly sad.  These are objects that can never be replaced.  I hope that someone in the government with the power to make decisions sees this a major problem and devotes resources to a solution.  In my estimation 2.5million is cheap to salvage a major part of our history.
And university students getting squeezed for tuition, or elderly people waiting for MRIs or hip replacements, or junior high school gymnastics teams without equipment, or farmers in SK driving on shitty roads, etc. etc. would question your priorities... Waiting for the government to place projects like this as top priority may be a mistake; I'd suggest finding other solutions would be wiser.

Michael Dorosh said:
And university students getting squeezed for tuition, or elderly people waiting for MRIs or hip replacements, or junior high school gymnastics teams without equipment, or farmers in SK driving on shitty roads, etc. etc. would question your priorities... Waiting for the government to place projects like this as top priority may be a mistake; I'd suggest finding other solutions would be wiser.

I'm not saying it needs to be at the very top of the list, but something does need to be done as this is one of those time critical projects.  I realise there are other projects that have a higher financial priority, we are all affected by these issues.  But honestly, you can't tell me 2-2.5 million is an absurd amount of money, as it takes much more than that to repave a stretch of the 401 in T.O.  Ontario has garbage roads too, and I had to pay for tuition at University...

Canadian.Trucker said:
I'm not saying it needs to be at the very top of the list, but something does need to be done as this is one of those time critical projects.  I realise there are other projects that have a higher financial priority, we are all affected by these issues.  But honestly, you can't tell me 2-2.5 million is an absurd amount of money, as it takes much more than that to repave a stretch of the 401 in T.O.  Ontario has garbage roads too, and I had to pay for tuition at University...

I obviously agree with you, but I suspect we may be in the minority - as the military often is in this country regarding stuff not directly in the public's eye or perceived public interest. Public perception on this one may be different and its possible a lot of taxpayers would agree with you - but I think the main point is that waiting for the government to do something often bears little fruit, and if other options exist, they should be pursued. If you want things done right, sometimes you gotta do them yourself! ;)

Back