• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

National Cemetery Honours Chaplains

IN HOC SIGNO

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Aw now I gotta go and take back all the nasty things I 've ever said about the media....they made nice about us Chaplains.  ;)

Editorial Published: Saturday, February 17, 2007 in the Ottawa Citizen with regard to an article in the Citizen on 15 February about our Beechwood Memorial Window.

There are wartime heroes who fight not only for their own sides, but also for the common cause of humanity.
Chaplains are among those heroes. They provide comfort, not only to soldiers of their own faiths, but also to anyone who needs guidance, support or aid.
Like medics, chaplains have gone beyond the front lines to find and help the wounded. These days, they must be ecumenical community leaders as well as spiritual counsellors.
Chaplains serve as living reminders that moral and ethical principles are bigger than any particular conflict or nation. They are trained to sit quietly and listen amid the noise of war.
Non-combatants aren't often remembered on Remembrance Day; they aren't often depicted on monuments. So it's appropriate that the new National Memorial Centre at Beechwood Cemetery will include a tribute to military chaplains. And a fitting tribute it is: a stained-glass window. Among other things, it will depict a tree with the sun behind it and a chaplain comforting a soldier.
A window is a symbol of hope, of light in dark places. There is probably no one more at risk of spiritual crisis than the person called upon to kill another, even when the cause is just and the purpose is to save the lives of innocents.
When we remember war, we too often forget the people who provide physical and spiritual comfort on the battlefield. We too often forget the uniformed men and women whose job it is to pray for peace.
© The Ottawa Citizen 2007

Very nice article, I remember a couple years ago, when I was doing some training in school at a Nursing home, the Chaplain would come in a couple times a week for the residents. Everything this article conveys, was my impression too when I had met him. The Memorial sounds like it's beautiful.

Rebecca

Back