• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naming CANSOFCOM

vonGarvin

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
short final said:
For the guy who mentioned SOG - SOG is CANSOFCOM - the reason for the change was, and I'm being totally serious, the french translation for SOG - which is GOS - which is french for testicles.
This came straight from CO of CANSOFCOM during a brief on Wednesday.
But "Verge" means both "yard" and "penis", so...how confusing is it to a visitor from France to go see the Alouettes play and hear "2nd down and 3 penises to go"?!?

Sorry, but I don't buy GOS being canned for that reason.

Regardless of what is said about the new unit.  I think we should all wait to see what happens.  It will take a few yrs to get off the gnd.  And all of us know a unit that is newly formed in any Army will go through it's growing pains. 

"ABNSPR4EVER"  :cdn:

So what if SOG translates to balls in French - I would say thats a good thing. The Finns have an armoured vehicle called the 'Sisu' whih can translate to 'balls' in Finish but they like it that way!

Frig, why not just call it the "Command Of Joint Organizations of National Expeditionary Special forces" or COJONES?

;D

A

vonGarvin said:
But "Verge" means both "yard" and "penis", so...how confusing is it to a visitor from France to go see the Alouettes play and hear "2nd down and 3 penises to go"?!?

Interesting: Comd CANSOFCOM briefed us but didn't mention this. However, Comd CANCOM also briefed us , and DID say that "CANCOM" sounded like a sexually-related term in French, so they were changing to "CANADACOM" For the life of me I can't figure out what that French term is.

Cheers.

Mortar guy said:
Frig, why not just call it the "Command Of Joint Organizations of National Expeditionary Special forces" or COJONES
A

OMG that made my morning!

pbi said:
Interesting: Comd CANSOFCOM briefed us but didn't mention this. However, Comd CANCOM also briefed us , and DID say that "CANCOM" sounded like a sexually-related term in French, so they were changing to "CANADACOM" For the life of me I can't figure out what that French term is.
Probably talking about Cancan.
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/encyclopaedia/hutchinson/m0003355.html
It is also used as an alternative word for "rumour".

meh, I was at the brief, you weren't.  I suck at french, so my vocab isn't good enough to make something like that up....

Mortar guy said:
So what if SOG translates to balls in French - I would say thats a good thing. The Finns have an armoured vehicle called the 'Sisu' whih can translate to 'balls' in Finish but they like it that way!

Frig, why not just call it the "Command Of Joint Organizations of National Expeditionary Special forces" or COJONES?

;D

A
And they would have a special dining hall on base, just for them, called the "Base All Ranks Feeding Facility" (BARFF), and their officers would conduct Practical Excercises Not Involving Soldiers (PENIS).  Of course, I wonder what the french is for "Canadian Regiment of Airmobile Paratroops" (CRAP).
As for a soldier badge, nothing says "Canada" like a Tim Horton's logo (and they could help offset budgetary restraints by sponsoring the unit)
:p

vonGarvin said:
... Of course, I wonder what the french is for "Canadian Regiment of Airmobile Paratroops" (CRAP).
We would call it the "Bataillon Uni de Troupes Transportées par Air" or "BUTT Air"; which translates roughly to: "United (joint  :p) battalion of troops transported by air"  ;)

All right, back on topic now !!!  ;D

Back