• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Namibia

I won't be available to help until March/April time frame, too bad because March 09 is the 20th anniversary of the advance party going over.  Boy, 20 years already. 
I guess the first question would be, who would go to a reunion and where would we hold it?  Toronto might be a good place, central for the Ontario people anyway.  We'd need to have everyone we know that went write a list of who we remember.  John, any other ideas?

I'm not sure who Recce Guy actually is, but this is John.  It would be very good if we could get our hands on an old nominal role

I figured that it was you.  How many ex sea cadets from Agamemnon were on the first tour in Namibia.
I have a group photo of the advance party in the photo album at home.  I think that I wrote most of the names on the back of it.  Maybe if everyone who has posted on this thread can write a few names down, we can try to contact them and they may know more people.  Worth a try.

OLD935SGT said:
I agree with Recce Guy...those are great photos...brings back all kinds of memories.  I actually drove the some of the Polish Contingent home on Canada Day...and they were very drunk.  There Sgt was pissed with them and I am sure there were more than a few who were sorry the next day.

Like Recce Guy, I see all kinds of faces I recognize, but most of the names escape me.  I think I was part of the group that was riding camels that day outside of Swakopmund.  If memory serves, the fellow on the camel was staying at the beach house at the same time as me...and was involved in the rubber raft escapade..where we took it out into the breakers and ending up flipping it, then swimming back to shore.  Ah..those were the days.

I'll have to go through my things and find some of my photos to post as well.

It would be great to get together with everyone who was with us in '89.

Dammit. I was there for that!! Yes, we were all at the beachhouse that weekend. Allison Randall was the other girl. I'll scan up a couple of more pics from that same night ... that's the night we ate at the German Restaurant in Swak and all came home very drunk & loudly singing (insert little ditty of a song that is not publsihable) ---- and the police came, and we got in trouble. We deserved it. :-[

Pics to follow later this evening ... I have a date I need to get ready for!!  >:D

OLD935SGT said:
I'm not sure who Recce Guy actually is, but this is John.  It would be very good if we could get our hands on an old nominal role

Start a Facebook Group: 89 CLU(less). You'd be surprised at the hits you may get.

I'm still in contact with:

Jonesy (the "jail" guy from 3 Cdo, now at CPC);
My estranged of course;
Ron Benda;
Karen Sorenson (trucker type);
Dan Sullivan (out in Ships West);
Omar Leblanc (trucker type - now out but working as a civ trucker here);
Ivan Finstad (2 Cdo type - still out west);
Jimmy Dicks (at CFSAL);
Ron Benda;
Brad Denoon;
Donna Marzalek;
Steve Thompson (out for about 5 years now - just diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease);
Diana Tucker (Walker now ... in Trenton, but out);
Leslie Little (I could probably track her down again - she's out);
Rexine Fortier (could probably track her down again too).

Actually, there's already a Facebook Group for "Namibia UNTAG" ... there you go. Mostly Danes, but a couple of Canadians listed.
Namibia UNTAG

A searh of 89 CLU on Facebbok just gave me a  single name from Edmonton, but I don't know the guy. Anyone?? Bueller??

Army Vern;

Were you with us when we went to Etosha Pan as well?  Almost trampled by an elephant?  Leaving someone behind the truck to have a pee?  Having a campfire with petrified wood?

I think there is some damning video out there as well.

Army Vern;

There is also the story of the girls who got "locked" inside a store in Swakopmund for the afternoon, and a number people spent the day searching for them.  You wouldn't be one of them....would you?

OLD935SGT said:
Army Vern;

There is also the story of the girls who got "locked" inside a store in Swakopmund for the afternoon, and a number people spent the day searching for them.  You wouldn't be one of them....would you?

Oh my gawd ...  :-X

OLD935SGT said:
Army Vern;

Were you with us when we went to Etosha Pan as well?  Almost trampled by an elephant?  Leaving someone behind the truck to have a pee?  Having a campfire with petrified wood?

I think there is some damning video out there as well.

Double oh my Gawd ...

I was on the bus and the bus had to come back for me after I was left behind in that town having my pee - and found the liquor store while I waited? And then, I was so drunk out - that I bartered my way into that "Mr Man" carving on the side of the road for a mere 5 Rand on the way back ... ?

And thank goodness that the bus was equipped with a toilet for when I felt the sudden urge to vomit ... only there was no water left in the system? The boys were sooooooooo pissed at me about having to "waste" their beers washing that down.  >:D

Nope - it wasn't me.

Fack.

Ah, those were the days.
I remember the medic Phil Beach (no idea where he's at),  WO Skelding (out now living in St John Nfld), Ken Willett (he's out now), Frank Demaine (saw him in Toronto in the spring, he's still in), Dan Hummel (out now).
Looking forward to seeing those pics from Vern.

Another Recce Guy said:
Ah, those were the days.
I remember the medic Phil Beach (no idea where he's at),  WO Skelding (out now living in St John Nfld), Ken Willett (he's out now), Frank Demaine (saw him in Toronto in the spring, he's still in), Dan Hummel (out now).
Looking forward to seeing those pics from Vern.

Fack. Last time I saw Phil was in Halifax --- eons ago.

Kim Lapointe - A MCpl & Sgt in Namibia, is now the DCO of 2RCR. I bump into him every now and then still.

Pic below on the Recce site. Scroll down to bottom picture; he's on the right.

http://www.dragoons.ca/csqn.html

I just found a UN flag given to me by my uncle, WO Greg Carey.  It was the last UN flag to be flown by Canada in Namibia.  I dont have any real attachment to it, as I wasnt there, but if anyone who was there would like it, pm me.  Note, I dont often log in, so be patient. 

Well if anybody’s still around let me inject some excitement into this chat, I’m ex SADF and was in Namibia 1989 :)

Good to hear from you.  Were involved with the parachute club at the airport?

old_sadf said:
nope I was a gunner in a ratel 20 involved in the action of 1st April 1989

I'll assume then, action involving SADF/Namibian Security Police against SWAPO guerillas during their incursions into Namibia from Angola?

Back