• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Namibia

LOL...I heard some stories about the Windhoek Sun Hotel, heck I had a few of my own in 82. >:

Korporaal said:
LOL...I heard some stories about the Windhoek Sun Hotel, heck I had a few of my own in 82. >:

Continental ... 'til the bomb went off (and I can't tell a lie --- I'd still sneak in there to hit the discotheque upstairs on the top level after the bomb went off and it went OofB).  :-\

Continental ?

Are you talking about the Kalahari Sands Hotel, which was part of the Southern Suns Group of hotels.
We used to call it the Windhoek Sun, if memory serves me correctly it was the only major hotel in Windhoek at the time, mind you I was not sober most of the time when we were allowed down in Windhoek on pass...which wasn`t often.We kept the M.P.s busy though.LOL
I have distant alcohol diffused memories of the disco at the hotel

I heard that the UN was there as a "peacekeeping force" but did not know that the Canadians were there as well. I had left by the time the UN arrived, but I`m curious as to your experiences and/or opinions of the SWA issue as  we were told some funny stories of UN peacekeepers  running out the back of transport aircraft rifles locked and loaded for battle all in front of a mayoral delegation with V.I.P.s in attendance.
How were you treated / accepted by the old SADF ?
Do you have any interesting or funny stories to tell ?

Regards

Korporaal said:
Do you have any interesting or funny stories to tell ?

Regards

Who me!!??

:rofl:

They'll have to wait though ... I'm off to weapons draw ... (without the herc).

LOL

Particularly interested in the reaction of the SADF guys to the UN `s arrival.I read that the UN peacekeepers were not well thought of, particularly when SWAPO/PLAN started the insurgency again in controvention of the agreement and ceasefire put in place.

I got to Namibia in the middle of March, 1989.  We just walked off the airplane and were we met by a tall blonde female SAP officer who smiled at us and directed us to the military terminal at Strijom (SP?) Airport.  We seemed to get along with with the SADF and SAP guys.
I remember the 1st of April, 89.  The day that the UN was to take over the SWAPO told thier guys to go home AND bring your guns.  The SADF didn't take too kindly to that.  I have newspapers at home showing the aftermath of the fire fights.  We were staying at the fair groud then.  Crazy times.

I was on the second tour in tpt pl. We were a two truck convoy headed up north and east into the caprivi strip.  This was after the elections I think.  Anyway we pulled over beside a convoy of Ratel 20's heading south.  The SADF conscripts were all happy and saying hi to us and waving.  They were going back to the RSA
We had one of our officers with us on that trip. She apparently went over to introduce herself to the SADF officer.  She came back kind of miffed.  Apparently after her intro the SADF officer told her to F*** Off.  She took it pretty good.  I was thinking that we were lucky that they weren't Koevet. Probably would have being a gun fight.lol
Actually we had a run in with some demobbed Koevet at the hotel in Oshikati. (and lived to tell about it) But that's another story.

During our tour a bunch of us joined the parachute club in Windhoek.  There were a lot of ex SADF and SWATF guys there but generally, we were accepted and made to feel welcome. 
I can understand their feels toward the UN.  Here we were perceived to be giving the country over to the enemy.
Any idea how the country is doing now?

Another Recce Guy said:
I got to Namibia in the middle of March, 1989.  We just walked off the airplane and were we met by a tall blonde female SAP officer who smiled at us and directed us to the military terminal at Strijom (SP?) Airport.  We seemed to get along with with the SADF and SAP guys.
I remember the 1st of April, 89.  The day that the UN was to take over the SWAPO told thier guys to go home AND bring your guns.  The SADF didn't take too kindly to that.  I have newspapers at home showing the aftermath of the fire fights.  We were staying at the fair groud then.  Crazy times.

Remember the "frozen waterbottles" incident from that day?? I also think that's the night that I slept in the middle of the running track at the fairgrounds...  :-X

LMFAO.

Some pics that I just uploaded ...

Airport waiting for Roto I to come in to replace us ...

Airport.jpg

Vern, Bob McRoberts & Ronnie the Camel

BobMcRobertsVernandcamel.jpg

On the dunes outside Swakopmund

OntheDunesnearSwakopmund.jpg

Vern at the Tropic of Capricorn (yes dear, there is bullet holes in signs in Namibia too!!)

VernatTropicofCapricorn.jpg

On Canada day Parade in the Fairgrounds ... note that they made we chicks wear our damn skirts and high heels in the dirt!! Yes indeed, those were the days when the Canadian Military had to operationally deploy overseas with their DEUs ... lest there be a "Parade" to participate in!! Ahh, Peacekeeprs that we were.  ;)

FairgroundsParade.jpg

The boys jumping into the fairgrounds

JumpingintotheFairgrounds.jpg

Obstacle Course at the Fairgrounds

FairgroundsObstacleCourse.jpg

SADF Checkpoint at Walvis Bay

SADFCheckpointatWalvisBay.jpg

Fuck. That obstacle course pic ... lead runner is Greg "Jonesy" Jones --- I'm quite sure he's our only one (from either roto) to spend some time in cells during Op Matador.

He's still kicking around CPC these days I believe. Ahhh the memories of doing guard duty come flooding back ... Perhaps I'm not that old after all.  ;D

Another Recce Guy said:
  I can understand their feels toward the UN.  Here we were perceived to be giving the country over to the enemy.
Any idea how the country is doing now?

I  felt the same way in regards to their feelings towards us.
During the elections IMHO the UN had a very anti-South African Pro SWAPO stand point. (One of those "SWAPO could do no wrong" ideas)
I'm not sure how things are going there now.  I 'd like to go back for a visit though.  I remember the Mount Etjo Safari Park had a "semi" tame cheetah named Asterix that walk around the huts.  I was able to pet it.  That was pretty cool.

Great photos!!!  Sure brings back a bunch of memories.  The first pic of us waiting for the plane, I recognize a bunch of people (but at my age, not their names  ::)). I remember the Canada Day celebration.  I work guard duty at the front gate and laughed as we watched the Polish guys stumble home.  They were giving away parts of their uniforms all night and most were in for a beating in the morning, me thinks.  I have a photo at home of Phil Martin on the greased log part of the obstacle course. Of course I'm not home right now to scan anything (if I remember, I'll do it in March or so). 
Remember the crocodile farm?  I remember the guy that ran the place would take off his socks and shoes and jump into the pens while feeding the crocs.  I also remember that he was missing his big toe  ;D. 
As far as the attitude that the UN had for SWAPO, I agree. 
It would be nice to get together with some of the guys (and girls) f\who went there (from either tour).
Thanks again for the pics.

I agree with Recce Guy...those are great photos...brings back all kinds of memories.  I actually drove the some of the Polish Contingent home on Canada Day...and they were very drunk.  There Sgt was pissed with them and I am sure there were more than a few who were sorry the next day.

Like Recce Guy, I see all kinds of faces I recognize, but most of the names escape me.  I think I was part of the group that was riding camels that day outside of Swakopmund.  If memory serves, the fellow on the camel was staying at the beach house at the same time as me...and was involved in the rubber raft escapade..where we took it out into the breakers and ending up flipping it, then swimming back to shore.  Ah..those were the days.

I'll have to go through my things and find some of my photos to post as well.

It would be great to get together with everyone who was with us in '89.

Oh no, rumours of a reunion in the air!  Seriously, it would be great to see some of those folks again. 
On the range today we were talking and I mentioned Namibia, the person across form me says "Oh, you were there?  I work with Phil Nicoles, he was there too."  Small world.

Gee, I don't know, OLD935SGT, know anyone who is retired with a little time on his hands?  ::)

The name says it all...not retired...but OLD.  Besides everyone knows that Sr NCO's don't do...they delegate.  Remember what DND stands for...Delegate 'N Disappear.  That was the first lesson taught on JLC.

All kidding aside...I am more than willing to help out...but I would like some help....anyone out there?

Back